singermelodie1

Do you even wonder what if...?

4 posts in this topic

Source Music had extended Me Gustas Tu promotions, would the girls have had their first win with it. MGT was rising and peaking on melon and other charts with the fancam and what if source music had done just like Exid did, they could have won with it.

It saddens me that MGT never had a win or win any award.

5ibEtdd.gifH027EVu.gif

I thought about that too. But MGT is still holding its own on the music charts, so that's still a 'win' there :)

8Hwt9x.gif8SqYLK.gif

Spoiler

Music show wins aren't everything. In fact they are mostly nothing. What matters is the song and group popularity, and GFriend definitively achieved this with MGT. It brought them the recognition that skyrocketed their career.

Edited by KPop Moogle
typo

Yob5OGO.gif

Ah. Hypothetical situations; my favourite topic.

There's definitely an associated cost to extending music show promotions. Unless the girls are going to promote on music shows and also do festivals, they would have to cancel some festivals which would probably cost Source Music some amount of money. I'll go off smile wa's youtube channel for GFriend's September 2015 schedule. If they immediately start promotions after the falling video happened and promoted for 2 weeks + 1 extra Inkigayo (150906-150920), they'd have to cancel 8 festivals, maybe more if smile wa couldn't make it to some events. I don't know Source Music's financial situation at this point so let's assume that they can absorb that cost as well as the cost of continuing promotions.

Next, we have to look at the competition at the music show at the time. The first chance to win on a music show in the timeframe I've specified would be 160906 on Inkigayo. That was won by Lionheart by SNSD in their 3rd week of promotions. SNSD swept the awards until 150913 however, The Show, Show Champion, and Music Bank (which still had an award at the time), did not give out a trophy for that week. I can't say if Me Gustas Tu would have beaten Lionheart during that week and I don't really want to crunch the numbers. I can tell you the points Lionheart got for that week; 10,961 on Mcountdown on 150910, 8,235 on Music Bank on 150911, and 10,372 point on Inkigayo on 150913.

Starting on 150915, Lionheart has a Triple Crown on MCountdown and Inkigayo. The previous week was SNSD's goodbye stage but it was also the first week Dumb Dumb by Red Velvet became eligible for awards. This week, Red Velvet won on The Show, Show Champion, MCountdown, and Inkigayo. Lionheart won on Music Bank and Music Core. Red Velvet's scores in the first week were quite impressive. Although they almost lost to Mansae by Seventeen on The Show, they managed to get above 10k on both Mcountdown and Inkigayo. Even with stellar digitals by Me Gustas Tu, I don't think it would've overcome Red Velvet.

If they waited 2-3 months like EXID, they would be going against Twenty Three by IU, 4 Walls by f(x), and Chained Up by VIXX. Very difficult as well. It would have also pushed back Rough promotion and I think Rough was well-timed. Slow sad song in winter. Always nice.

In conclusion, I think Source Music did the right move by not pursuing a trophy for Me Gustas Tu and focusing on the next comeback. Rough~ <3

jCwTQ3U.gif