Albatro

Daily Korean Words! (161014 Updated!)

37 posts in this topic

Woo! Still not sure how this will work tbh, but I'll give it a go, hehe.

It says 'daily' but like, I may forget or not have time :c

Please let me know if you Buddies like this sort of format.

Any questions, translation requests, and suggestions are welcome too! :eunhaadore:

I remember when these used to be the basic supplies on a "To Buy" list schools provided before the start of the year...

Today: Friday, October 14th 2016

Word: 연필 / 지우개 / 펜 / 가위

Translation: Pencil / Eraser / Pen / Scissors

Romanization: Yeonpil / Jiwugae / Pen / Gawi

Example Phrase: 연필로 쓰고 지우개로 지우세요. (formal) | Write with the pencil, erase with the eraser. | Yeonpilro sseugo jiwugaero jiwuseyo. 

Fun Fact: There is a term in Korea called "내 머리 속의 지우개" (nae meori sogeui jiwugae) - originally a movie title, where the movie is related to Alzheimer's disease. The literal translation for this term would be "An eraser in my head".

Spoiler

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you Canadian Buddies out there! :sowonnice:

Today: Monday, October 10th 2016

Word: 칠면조 / 감자 / 당근 / 호박

Translation: Turkey / Potato / Carrot / Pumpkin

Romanization: Chilmyeonjo / Gamja / Danggeun / Hobak

Example Phrase: 으깬 감자당근 좀 줘 (informal) | Could you pass me the mashed potatoes and carrots? | Euggaen gamjarang danggeun jom jwo

Fun Fact: '호박' is also used to refer to zucchini as well. To avoid the confusion, sometimes the word "애호박" (zucchini | aehobak) is used instead when referring to zucchini.

Spoiler

Me gustas tu, gustas tu, su tu tu ru I like you, gustas tu, su tu ru~ ru.

Today: Monday, October 3rd 2016

Word: 꽃 / 싹 or 봉오리 / 새싹 / 꽃잎

Translation: Flower / Bud or Buds / Sprout / Petal

Romanization: Kkot / Ssak or Bongori / Saessak / Kkotnip

Example Phrase: 처럼 아름다운 얼굴 | As pretty looking as a flower | Kkotcheoreom areumdaun eolgul

Fun Fact: A leaf could mean leaves on a tree (나뭇잎 | Namutnip), and the generic term for a leaf in Korean is 잎 (Ip).

What I'm unsure of is, google translate translates both & 봉오리 to Bud/Buds, so I guess "Flower Bud" could be translated to "꽃봉오리" (Kkotbongori) in Korean. 

Spoiler

Some words when subbing videos are directly translated as romanizations. You may recognize these, so this may be review for you, but I decided to talk about them anyway because of how often these words are used in Korea.

Today: Monday, September 26th 2016

Word: 형 / 오빠 / 누나 / 언니 / 막내 / 동생

Translation: Brother / Brother / Sister / Sister / Youngest / Younger*

Romanization: Hyung / Oppa / Noona / Unnie / Maknae / Dongsaeng (Note that some of these romanizations don't follow the traditional rules of romanization. For instance, '누나' should be romanized to 'Nuna' according to these rules.)

*Clarification*:  : This is the title for when a male calls another male that is older.

오빠 : This is the title for when a female calls another male that is older.

누나 : This is the title for when a male calls another female that is older.

언니 : This is the title for when a female calls another female that is older.

막내 : This is the title appointed to someone that is youngest of the group.

동생 : This is the general title for when you refer to someone younger*.

Note: These titles are all "informal," so these are generally used between people who are familiar with each other.

Fun Fact: Since there is no way to distinguish between a male '동생' from a female '동생', the following prefixes are added:

'남'동생 (younger brother | namdongsaeng) '여'동생 (younger sister | yeodongsaeng).

Spoiler

Some people eat rice with spoons, some with forks, some with chopsticks. I don't think anyone eats rice with knives though.

Today: Tuesday, September 20th 2016

Word: 숟가락 / 젓가락 / 포크 / 칼

Translation: Spoon / Chopsticks / Fork / Knife

Romanization: sudgarak / jeotgarak / pokeu / kal

Example Phrase: 젓가락질 잘해야만 밥을 먹나요~ (Lyrics from DJ DOC - DOC와 춤을) | Do I have to be good at chopsticks to eat~ | Jeotgarakjil jalhaeyaman babeul meoknayo~

Fun Fact: '' is also another word for '검' (geom) which means 'sword'.

Often in Korea, people will just say '나이프' (naipeu) which is just 'knife' translated into Korean just as how it sounds in English. Similarly, '스푼' (seupun) is also used which is just 'spoon' translated into Korean with the same logic as above.

Spoiler

Do you know what Sowon's name means? Once you read the following, you'll find out!

Today: Sunday, September 18th 2016

Word: 소원 / 소망 / 희망

Translation: Wish / Dream / Hope

Romanization: Sowon / Somang / Huimang

Example Phrase: 희망을 가지고 노력한다면 잘 될거야. | If you have hope and make an effort, you'll do well. | Huimangeul gajigo noryeokhandamyeon jal doelgeoya.

Fun Fact: From namu.wiki

"본명은 소정, 예명은 팀의 리더로서 여자친구의 모든 ‘소원’을 이루라는 의미로 회사에서 지어주셨어요. 뜻대로 차근차근 여자친구의 목표를 하나씩 이루어 나가고 싶어요."

According to namu.wiki, this is a quote from Sowon, and is translated is as follows:

"My real name is So-Jung, and my pseudonym is 'Sowon', named by the company so that I could accomplish all of GFRIEND's wishes as the team's leader. As my name suggests, I'd like to accomplish all of GFRIEND's goals, one by one."

Spoiler

Today: Saturday, September 17th 2016

Word: 해 / 별 / 달 / 구름

Translation: Sun / Star / Moon / Cloud

Romanization: Hae / Byeol / Dal / Gureum

Example Phrase: 처럼 반짝이는 미래를 위해! | For the future that may shine bright as the stars! | Byeolcheoreom banjjagineun miraereul wihae!

Fun Fact: Similar to the logic behind the differences in '호수' --> '호숫가' and '강' --> '강가', '' becomes '빛' (starlight | byeolbit). '' becomes '빛' (moonlight | dalbit), whereas '' becomes '햇빛' (sunlight | haetbit). Refer to 160902's words of the day for more info on this difference.

Spoiler

Few weeks ago, I found out that the word that can describe me is pluviophile - a lover of the rain. I also really love snow - although stepping into a fresh blanket of snow after a snowy night feels a little guilty, yet inexplicably satisfying at the same time. So what are some words that also describe these natural phenomenon?

Today: Friday, September 16th 2016

Word: 비 / 눈 / 바람

Translation: Rain / Snow / Wind

Romanization: Bi / Nun / Baram

Example Phrase: 이번 크리스마스에는 이 내리기를... | Here's hoping it snows this Christmas... | Ibeon Keuriseumaseueneun nuni naerigireul...

Fun Fact: '' also means 'eye', and '' when added in front of words like '현실적' (realistic | hyeonsiljeok) to make '비현실적' (unrealistic | bihyeosiljeok) would be stating the opposite of that word's definition. Other examples are: '비공개' (private | bigonggae), '비가수' (non-singer | bigasu), or '비폭력' (non-violence | bipokryeok).

p.s. Sorry for Comic Sans. Wanted to have some variety in fonts c:

Spoiler

Some things are just necessities in life. You can't live without them. They stay with you 24 hours, 7 days a week. Honestly, they are probably your most familiar companions. They know your ins and outs, but they protect you from harm and embarrassment.

Who are they?

Today: Monday, September 12th 2016

Word: 셔츠 / 바지 / 청바지 / 속옷

Translation: Shirts / Pants / Jeans / Underwear

Romanization: Shyeocheu / Baji / Cheongbaji / Sogot

Example Phrase: 셔츠 예쁘네, 어디서 샀어? (Informal) | That shirt is pretty, where did you buy it? | Geu shyeocheu yeppeune, eodiseo sasseo?

Fun Fact: Jeans in Korean is literally 'Blue pants'. since '청' of '청바지' is 靑 (blue).

Spoiler

What do you call that thing you brush your teeth with? What is that paste you put on your teeth? Find out!

Today: Sunday, September 11th 2016

Word: 칫솔 / 치약 / 비누 / 휴지

Translation: Toothbrush / Toothpaste / Soap / Tissue

Romanization: Chitsol / Chiyak / Binu / Hyuji

Example Phrase: 휴지 한 장 주세요 (Formal) | Could you give me a piece of tissue | Hyuji han jang juseyo

Fun Fact: There are many types of 'tissue', in the house, such as kitchen towels and toilet paper. Kitchen towel is easy to say in Korean, it's simply '키친타올' (Kichintaol), which is essentially kitchen towel put in to Korean pronunciations. And toilet paper is called '화장지' (Hwajangji), which means 'makeup paper' if translated directly, but is referred to as toilet paper in English.

Spoiler

This is re-written, slightly edited - since I forgot to spoilerbox this one and simply wrote over it. Oopsie!

Today: Thursday, September 8th 2016

Word: 음악 / 노래 / 가수

Translation: Music / Song / Singer

Romanization: Eumak / Norae / Gasu

Example Phrase: 최근에 나온 그 노래 들어봤어? | Have you heard that new song that recently came out? | Choegeune naon geu norae deuleobwasseo? 

Fun Fact: There is a specific word '신곡' (singok) dedicated to represent 'new song'. If you go to music chart sites such as Melon, these new songs will be listed under the category '최신' (choesin | brand new). 

Spoiler

Previously I've talked about love, so now here are words to go with friendship!

Today: Sunday, September 4th 2016

Word: 친구 / 우정 / 신뢰

Translation: Friend / Friendship / Trust

Romanization: Chingu / Ujung / Sinroe

Example Phrase: 우리 우정이 영원하기를 | May our friendship last forever | Uri Ujungi Yeongwonhagireul

Fun Fact: There is a short abbreviated form of 'best friend' in Korean called '절친' (jeolchin) which you may find in shows. Sometimes they may also shorten the Korean pronunciation of 'best friend' and say '베프' (befeu) which takes 'be' from 'best' and 'f' from 'friend'.

Spoiler

School starts soon... :yerincry:so I thought I'd introduce the words for different levels of schools today.

Today: Saturday, September 3rd 2016

Word: 초등학교 / 중학교 / 고등학교 / 대학교

Translation: Elementary School / Middle School / High School / University

Romanization: chodeunghakgyo / junghakgyo / godeunghakgyo / daehakgyo

Example Phrase: 소원을 제외한 나머지 5명의 멤버는 같은 고등학교 출신이에요 | The 5 members - excluding Sowon - are from the same high school | Sowoneul jewoehan nameoji omyeongeui membeoneun gateun godeunghakgyo chulsiniaeyo

Fun Fact: Sometimes you may see words like '초딩' (choding) or '중딩' (jungding), and etc. (though not recommended to use). This refers to people who are elementary schoolers, middle schoolers, etc. The proper form of these would be '초등학생' (chodeunghaksaeng | elementary school student), '중학생' (junghaksaeng | middle school student), '고등학생' (godeunghaksaeng | high school student), and '대학생' (daekhaksaeng | university student).

Spoiler

Today I wanted to talk about the different bodies of water on Earth... so here they are!

Today: Friday, September 2nd 2016

Word: 연못 / 호수 / 강 / 바다 / 대양

Translation: Pond / Lake / River / Sea / Ocean

Romanization: Yeonmot / Hosu / Gang / Bada / Daeyang

Example Phrase:  근처까지 가 주세요. 얼마나 걸리나요? | Please go to near Han River. How long does it take? | Hangang geuncheokkaji ga juseyo. Eolmana geolrinayo?

Fun Fact: If you wanted to say 'seaside' in Korean, you'd say '가', but 'oceanside' is not '바다가', but rather '바닷가'. The additional 'ㅅ' under '다' is added when there is no consonant under the character. Similarly, '호수' becomes '호숫가'.

Spoiler

In English we say, 'Good Bye' for whenever we leave someone or see someone leave. But in Korean, there are actually different ways to say bye for each of these two situations.

Today: Thursday, September 1st 2016

Word: 잘가 / 잘있어 / 안녕히 가세요 / 안녕히 계세요

Translation: Good Bye (well, yeah)

Romanization: Jalga / Jalisseo / Annyeonghi Gaseyo / Annyeonghi Gyeseyo

Example Phrase: These are essentially phrases on their own.

Fun Fact Explanation: 잘가 is 'good bye' when you say bye to someone leaving you. (informal)

잘있어 is 'good bye' when you say bye as you leave someone. (informal)

안녕히 가세요 is 'good bye' when you say bye to someone leaving you. (formal)

안녕히 계세요 is 'good bye' when you say bye as you leave someone. (formal)

Spoiler

If you ever visit somewhere, you'll probably want to use the washrooms and eat at the restaurants there. And if you're visiting somewhere like Korea, chances are you'll be flying there. So what are these locations called?

Today: Wednesday, August 31st 2016

Word: 화장실 / 식당 / 공항

Translation: Washroom / Restaurant / Airport

Romanization: Hwajangshil / Shikdang / Gonghang

Example Phrase: 식당에는 화장실이 어디에 있나요? | Where is the washroom in this restaurant? | I sikdangaeneun Hwajangshili eodiae itnayo?

Fun Fact: There is another word in Korean that refers to an eatery, called "음식점" (Eumsikjeom).

On the media, you might see reporters use the word "공항패션," (Gonghangpaesheon) which literally means "Airport Fashion." This refers to simply, the celebrities' outfits they wear to and from boarding an airplane.

Spoiler

Today I'll be trying to clarify some of the more difficult words to translate from Korean to English while I sub stuff... so here goes! (Wall of text warning!)

Today: Tuesday, August 30th 2016

Word: 역시 / 흥 / 끼

Translation (when I sub): Indeed / Hype / Talent

Romanization: Yeokshi / Heung / Kki

*Clarification*: 역시 - This is often found in phrases such as "역시 여자친구" (Yeokshi Yeojachingu) while subbing. I translate this to "GFRIEND indeed" or something of that context, but to be honest, this really doesn't get the meaning across well enough. "역시 여자친구" is referring to the fact that GFRIEND did something, and it was not disappointing, and was well done as expected from GFRIEND. So for example, GFRIEND may have performed a song on radio, and did it well, as expected from them, and then the DJ may say "역시 여자친구!" And that should add the context to this word.

- This is also part of that title given to GFRIEND, called '자친구', which we translate as 'HypeFRIEND'. We usually translate '' to "Hype," but "Hype" works in some contexts, and doesn't in some other contexts. When it works is when GFRIEND is getting pumped up for something (such as beginning of Showtime ep.2, when they leave for the station), and in this case the captions may be "이 차오른다" or something like that, which would mean something like "They are getting hyped up." In other times, it doesn't work when GFRIEND is full of '' (such as when they are at Karaoke maybe?). The captions in this case may be "이 넘친다," which would be better translated into "They are full of fun, joy and excitement," rather than "They are full of hype." So the context of which the word is used matters here.

- This is often found in phrases such as "가 넘치다," where it could be translated as "They are full of talent." But there is another word in Korean that also represents the word "Talent," and that is 재능 (Talent | Jaeneung). '' actually means talent in various areas, or a sense of humour (source). I'm honestly not too sure how to represent this word in English, so I'd probably either use 'Talent' or use the romanized 'Kki', and put a Translator's Note.

Fun Fact: If you hear the word '' being used in phrases such as "끼부리지마" (Don't Flirt | Kkiburijima) or "밥 한 끼," (A Single Meal | Bap Han Kki) these uses of '' do not mean 'Talent', but rather something else.

So yeah, hopefully that'll help you connect better with what GFRIEND are actually saying/feeling if you see these words in the subbed videos.

Spoiler

On 8/29/2016 at 0:21 AM, Reishi32 said:

Can you explain the different of 나, 내, 저 cause all mean 'I' and also 'You' also has various form like 너, 네, 당신

Alright!

I don't really want to get into extensive grammar lessons, partially because I'm not a total expert at Korean grammar (been a while since I've moved from Korea), and to do the research to make up for my lack of expertise is too time-consuming. And partially because... I'm lazy :c Oh and of course, this is a 'words' thread hehe. So I'll just briefly explain each form of the pronouns 'I' and 'You'.

Today: Monday, August 29th 2016

Word: 나, 내, 저 / 너, 네, 당신

Translation: Me or I (informal), My, Me or I (formal) / You (informal), Your, You (formal)

Romanization: Na, Nae, Jeo / Neo, Ne, Dangsin

Example Phrase: 는 여자친구의 팬입니다 | I am a fan of GFRIEND. | Jeoneun yeojachingueui fanipnida

는 두 살 차이야 | You and I are two years apart in age | Neorang naneun du sal chaiya

기분은 어떠니? | How are your emotions? | Ne Gibuneun Eoddeoni? 

Fun Fact: 당신 (You (formal) | Dangsin) is rarely used because it has a nuance of confrontation, and so the addressee may find the greeting offensive (Source). 당신 is also used between a married couple, typically of an older age as their formal greetings for each other. 

You can also find '너', '나', '내' and '나의' in some of GFRIEND's songs!
' 그리고 ' | 'NAVILLERA' | 'You and Me' | Neo Geurigo Na
' 이름을 불러줘' | 'Say My Name' | 'Say My Name' | Nae Ireumeul Bulreojwo
'의 일기장' | 'Sunshine' | 'My Diary' | Naeui Ilgijang.

And yes, '나의' is also 'My', just like '내' is. But '나의' sounds a bit more formal in my opinion, though tbh I don't exactly know the difference, so don't quote me on this one.

Also note, '네' is often pronounced as '니' (Ni) IF it is used in the context of 'Your', because it sounds so similar to '내'. And so to differentiate between '내' and '네', 'Ni' is often used when talking about '네'.

'네' also means 'Okay', 'Yes', etc. as well. '네' in this context is always pronounced as 'Ne'. You'll probably hear this a lot from the DJs and GFRIEND if you watch our subbed radio shows :P

Spoiler

I thought I'd introduce some basic greetings in Korean today. Tbh this is like the basic stuff in any language but priorities had to be taken care of the past couple days :P

Today: Sunday, August 28th 2016

Word: 안녕, 안녕하세요 / 반가워, 반갑습니다 / 실례합니다 / 미안, 미안해 / 죄송합니다

Translation: Hi, Hello (informal, formal) / Nice to meet you (informal, formal) / Excuse me / Sorry, I'm sorry (informal) / I'm sorry (formal)

Romanization: annyeong, annyeonghaseyo / bangawo, bangapseupnida / silryehapnida / mian, mianhae / joesonghapnida

Example Phrase: 안녕하세요, 저는 Albatro 라고 해요. | Hello, my name is Albatro. | annyeonghaseyo, jeoneun Albatro rago haeyo.

안녕하세요, 저는 여자친구의 ___입니다! | Hello, I'm GFRIEND'S ___! | annyeonghaseyo, jeoneun yeojachingueui ___ipnida!

(Some of these "words" are phrases on their own too, heh)

Fun Fact: Whenever you watch our Subbed videos, you've probably seen a bunch of 'Hello, we're GFRIEND!' and 'Hello, I'm GFRIEND'S ___!'

Whenever you see that, the girls are saying '안녕하세요, 저는 여자친구의 ___입니다!' as given in the Example phrase. Occasionally they add on prefixes like 리더 (Leader | Rideo), 홍삼 (Red Ginseng | Hongsam) in front of their name, as you would in English.

But if you wanted to introduce yourself, in say, something like a fan letter (so in a lighter/friendlier context) you'd probably say either '안녕하세요, 저는 Albatro 라고 해요' or '안녕하세요, 제 이름은 Albatro 입니다'. You can also replace '안녕하세요' with '안녕' which is basically like switching from 'Hello' to 'Hi' (less formal).

안녕하세요, 저는 Albatro 라고 해요 | Hello, I'm Albatro | annyeonghaseyo, jeoneun Albatro rago haeyo
안녕하세요, 제 이름은 Albatro 입니다 | Hello, my name is Albatro | Annyeonghaseyo, jae ireumeun Albatro ipnida

Spoiler

Celebrating the release of SinB's OST 'Confession' for the tvN drama 'Cinderella and Four Knights', here are some words related to love!

Today: Saturday, August 27th 2016

Word: 사랑 / 고백 / 마음

Translation: Love / Confession / Heart*

Romanization: Sarang / Gobaek / Maeum

Example Phrase: 사랑해요 여자친구! | I love you GFRIEND! | Saranghaeyo Yeojachingu!

마음을 모두 담아서 고백할게. | I will confess to you with all my heart. | Nae maeumeul modu damaseo gobaekhalgae.

Fun Fact: Although the in-depth structure of the Korean grammar has many variations/exceptions/rules depending on the word, I can explain some of the structure involving the word 사랑.

You may have seen 사랑 in the forms of 사랑 (sarang), 사랑해 (saranghae), and 사랑해요 (saranghaeyo). 사랑 is simply the word 'love' as a noun, 사랑해 is the phrase 'I love you', (or the "infinitive" form of the verb) and 사랑해요 is the honourific form of the phrase 'I love you'. Not all words work like this, however, and there are exceptions as noted earlier.

*마음 can also be translated to 'mind' depending on the context, but the 마음 in this context is in the same context as it is used in 'Me Gustas Tu', which would be 'heart'.

Spoiler

Today's the first day, so I'll start off with words everyone here should know!

Today: Friday, August 26th 2016

Word: 여자 / 친구 / 여자친구

Translation: Female / Friend / Girlfriend

Romanization: Yeoja / Chingu / Yeojachingu

Example Phrase: 여자친구가 돼 주겠니? | Will you be my girlfriend? | nae yeojachinguga dwae jugetni?

Fun Fact: There are several different words for 'female' with different connotations, such as 소녀 for 'girl', 숙녀 for 'lady' and also 여자 could also mean 'woman'.

Format

Spoiler

Today:

Word:

Translation:

Romanization:

Example Phrase: 

Fun Fact: 

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

Hehehe.....this works for me~! Waiting for more!

Buddies The Best

I am down for this. Great way to help me learn korean.

HERE I GO, I WANNA GO

nerdysinbart sig.jpg

cr: nerdysinb

this could really work, great idea :D

2LrPYbH.gifCredit: KingOfKPop 

3 hours ago, Albatro said:

Woo! Still not sure how this will work tbh, but I'll give it a go, haha.

Example Phrase: 내 여자친구가 돼 주겠니? | Will you be my girlfriend?

Fun Fact: There are several different words for 'female' with different connotations, such as 소녀 for 'girl', 숙녀 for 'lady' and also 여자 could also mean 'woman'.

Please let me know if you Buddies like this dort of format, and any suggestions are welcome too! :D

Reveal hidden contents

Today:

Word:

Translation:

Romanization:

Example Phrase: 

Fun Fact: 

I like it. Way frickin' cool. How does the Korean grammar work? This helps me, I'm trying to learn Hangeul. I recognize the letters. Awesome.

This inspires me to throw up a Hawaiian/Hawaiian Pidgin English word of the day that I've been contemplating on for a while now.

It'd be really cool if other Buddies could jump on this too.

My step mom will be happy...maybe she'll finally pass on some recipes.:D

3 hours ago, alohachingu said:

I like it. Way frickin' cool. How does the Korean grammar work? This helps me, I'm trying to learn Hangeul. I recognize the letters. Awesome.

This inspires me to throw up a Hawaiian/Hawaiian Pidgin English word of the day that I've been contemplating on for a while now.

It'd be really cool if other Buddies could jump on this too.

My step mom will be happy...maybe she'll finally pass on some recipes.:D

There is a lot more korean worda that are simple to memorise bro......I also know some words but only simple ones......That's why I like this thread cuz it can add some of my korean vocab's

Buddies The Best

6 hours ago, Albatro said:

Woo! Still not sure how this will work tbh, but I'll give it a go, haha.

Example Phrase: 내 여자친구가 돼 주겠니? | Will you be my girlfriend?

Please let me know if you Buddies like this dort of format, and any suggestions are welcome too! :D

Reveal hidden contents

Today:

Word:

Translation:

Romanization:

Example Phrase: 

Fun Fact: 

It would be great if there's romanization for the example phrase as well xD 

0kGGPDY.gif S609ofY.gif 
Cr: KingofKpop for Siggy 
Cr: Yedding for Fanart   

I can read Hangul but I don't have much vocabs so i'm looking forward to this, great idea :D

1 hour ago, EunhaCute said:

It would be great if there's romanization for the example phrase as well xD 

That's true! I'll add that on as well.

Now the only thing I need to decide on is whether to expand the original post each day, or post the daily words each day as a reply. For accessibility the OP would be better, but the OP could get really lengthy pretty quickly (even if I spoilerbox them).

For now I'll expand the OP each day.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

Hi i'm planning on making a fan letter for gfriend for their Sept. 4 showcase here in PH i hope you could help me with my fan letter.. I can read and write hangul but i cannot understand everything and i only know basic korean words.. :)

4aKAd9r.gif6h6OJff.gif

"When you brightly smile I laugh and smile with you."

Is this formal or informal? Btw thank you for the info :sowonnice:^-^

lXhhJbF.gif

Thanks to KingofKpop for the sig and ASquirtle for the resizing :D 

1 hour ago, gellyyy_bean said:

Hi i'm planning on making a fan letter for gfriend for their Sept. 4 showcase here in PH i hope you could help me with my fan letter.. I can read and write hangul but i cannot understand everything and i only know basic korean words.. :)

Same here! T^T I would like to make a fan letter for them. It would be great to write some in hangul. 

bWbaWot.gif?1

4 hours ago, gellyyy_bean said:

2 hours ago, Nikki said:

Same here! T^T I would like to make a fan letter for them. It would be great to write some in hangul. 

Are there any specific categories of words you'd like to see for the fan letters? Or would you like help in translating some words/sentences to Korean?

3 hours ago, Yujunie said:

Is this formal or informal? Btw thank you for the info :sowonnice:^-^

Mostly non-honourific (so informal), but I may provide honourific examples depending on the words!

This is gonna be greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I just started learning Korean (all the consonants and vowels) and this is gonna help loaddddddddddds

Great Buddy! B|

I think this format is great. I also think that introducing new words on here may be a good idea. That way there's no bouncing around when trying to find the thread.

8 hours ago, Albatro said:
8 hours ago, Albatro said:

Are there any specific categories of words you'd like to see for the fan letters? Or would you like help in translating some words/sentences to Korean?

Mostly non-honourific (so informal), but I may provide honourific examples depending on the words!

Hmm.. i think i kinda need help on translating words/sentences.. like can you translate "Proud to be a buddy"

4aKAd9r.gif6h6OJff.gif

31 minutes ago, gellyyy_bean said:

Hmm.. i think i kinda need help on translating words/sentences.. like can you translate "Proud to be a buddy"

That would be:

버디라서 자랑스러워요

The translation is written in the tone used when speaking to people in a lighter/friendlier manner, but with a honourific suffix.
If you don't want the honourific suffix, simply take off the '요' and write:

버디라서 자랑스러워

I'd probably go with the first one since it shows more respect, but up to you.

this is really helpful thanks @Albatro 

press the follow button on the upe right to receive notifs on this thread ^^

CB0yZyv.jpg

tSQg7lD.gifBjn1CIc.gif

새롭게 시작해 볼래 그리고        우릴 아프게 했던 시간들은 다시는 없을 거야 ~ 

Let’s start fresh, you and me    Times that hurt us will never come back again 

1 hour ago, Albatro said:

That would be:

버디라서 자랑스러워요

The translation is written in the tone used when speaking to people in a lighter/friendlier manner, but with a honourific suffix.
If you don't want the honourific suffix, simply take off the '요' and write:

버디라서 자랑스러워

I'd probably go with the first one since it shows more respect, but up to you.

Noted. Thanks :) I'll ask again when I started on writing the fan letter.

4aKAd9r.gif6h6OJff.gif

Ummmmmm, may I know how should I go about phrasing my account name SaltyYerin in Hangul? 

4 hours ago, SaltyYerin said:

Ummmmmm, may I know how should I go about phrasing my account name SaltyYerin in Hangul? 

Hmm, what would you mean by 'phrasing'? 

Are you trying to write an introduction in Korean, or trying to write your name in Korean just as it sounds in English?

How about "Please comeback to philippines again."

4aKAd9r.gif6h6OJff.gif

36 minutes ago, gellyyy_bean said:

How about "Please comeback to philippines again."

필리핀에 또 한번 와 주세요!

That should do.

Edited by Albatro

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead