Perseus

How, when and why did you start liking Gfriend ~Share my story~

183 posts in this topic

The first time that I watched their video "Me Gustas Tu" I have to admit that I didn't like them at all. Then, a couple of weeks later I found myself humming to their song and a couple of hours later I was watching the video again. That was the moment in which I fell in love with them. I paid more attention to the choreography, their voices and looks. Also, I have to admit that I've never been a big kpop fan. In fact, the only group that I used to like was 2NE1, which I started to like back in 2015 around January, and many of you know that there's a big difference between GFRIEND & 2ne1 :P hahaha. For me, these girls are my babies, like.. seriously. I know that I haven't been around since the start but I can see how they have improved so much and honestly I'm so proud of them. THESE ARE MY ROOKIES! 

abXieBc.png0lnSVrT.png

Running Man Ep. 237 With Yerin. I liked the sound of "Glass Bead". To me personally it was different from what I would here. I was never into Kpop but I do know about the music scene through Running Man. I watched their video for "Glass Bead" and everything just clicked. I saw something in them that I didn't see in other groups. I love Korean Horror and Romantic Comedies. I grew up watching KDramas. So I wanted to see if there was someone that would catch my interest. Voila!!! Yeoja Chingu. They are the only Kpop group that I listen to. When I watched the video of their performance where they were slipping on stage, getting back up and they kept going. Wow. Awesome. I'm a musician and to see how professional they were about it as a rookie group, that was inspiring. My respect for them grew a lot more. "One Fine Day", "Look After My Dog" and "YeoChinTV" just said it all.

Gfriend actually got me into k-pop. I stumbled on the glass bead vid of theirs and idk I loved the beat and dance so much. I had it on repeat lool then that's when I saw Me Gustas Tu and Rough. I fell for them I thought they were all so gorgeous and omg the dance and their energy just attracted me to them. I normally don't like cute girl groups  but I adore Gfriend so much. Then that's when I saw the dance practices and weekly idol's and they killed me. I started to stan them and now I'm their trash. Gfriend is the only girl group that I love so much, all of them are just so funny and chill and make me laugh all the time. They just cheer me up

I was watching out for them when it was rumored they were going to debut and I really liked their name, I thought it was cute lol . Then glass bead came out and I fell in love, they were so pretty and like able I had to Stan!! :x

sorry my bad english

at first, i know them because a lot of people say glass bead resemble or similar with ITNW. so i checked the song.. and the very first think that come to my mind... woww they really tried to copy snsd, even the highkick.. n i think they will dissappear quickly.., but.. but... i cant stop playing their video, esp the choreagraphy ver. n then i get addicted to the song.. n i curious abt them.. n i watching their debut video.. falling in love with neverland.. n yesss... following them until now...

I was originally a The Ark stan, then I saw gfriend's glass bead MV & I was like, "Oh they're cool, really nice dance choreo" so I started stanning them from the sideline. Sinb caught my attention because she looked so much like Jessica back then, (now with short hair, she looks unique) and then when The Ark went into hiatus and then disbanding so I focused my attention to gfriend and now I love them more than ever. 

ml5qjb.png
Hwang Eunbi stan 

I'm new to the Kpop genre. It was completely off of my radar until I happened to read a Mashable article which told of a Korean girl group that had a disastrous performance on stage in Seoul.  I read the article, I watched the video.  I grimaced after the girls fell time and time again.  And yet, something about their plucky determination caught my interest and attention.

Like I mentioned, I knew nothing about this group nor the thing called Kpop, but with the availability of Google and YouTube, was able to learn very quickly. Later after joining OH, I was able to become a part (mostly spectating) of their community.  I have to say that I'm loving GFriend and wishing for their even greater success. My interest in Kpop has expanded and is migrating to enjoy other groups as well. 

Thanks to that rainy night in Seoul, I am a GFriend fan!  Better late than never!  

Edited by burajiru
grammar

ewKwHgr.gif?1 

It's funny, because it was over Christmas Break for me.

I was visiting my family over the holiday's, and after I was done unpacking and settling back into my old room, I decided to randomly search out Kpop music I've missed over the school year. My ultimate group is SHINee, but I needed to listen and get into something else [I've watched literally everything of theirs and can name any of their songs from the top of my head, so...].

During that time, I was also slowly getting into BTS. I found out that they appeared in this show, The Boss Is Watching, with a whole bunch of other groups. So I decided to watch it. And Gfriend totally stood out for me, especially Yuju. They were hilarious! And the cover of Love Battery was impressive, given they were barely a year into their debut. 

I don't know what it was but after I saw that, I couldn't help but become interested. There was this feeling that I got that told me there was something really special about these girls, and that they'd go far. I'm so happy to see their career play out in the future ^_^

SLAY's Gfriend promo on OH worked on me. I remember watching their first introduction teaser and thinking "these girls aren't that cute." But then I still gave the Glass Bead MV a chance when it came out, and I really really liked it. The song was fresh among all the sexy and hip hop concepts back then, and the dancing was interesting. Gfriend actually got me back into kpop because I wasn't feeling the new gens until then. 

nwwagZG.gifX9Vq7yh.gif

For me, it happened at the end of January 2015. I'm an older-than-average buddy. I just got a new job 100 km away from home, and was getting bored of listening to podcasts while driving. So, I downloaded a Melon top 100 playlist and started listening, even though I wasn't really into kpop at the time. After a while, a song popped up with a familiar Asia-style school bell. I taught at a school in China for a couple years which used the exact same style of bell, so it really caught my attention. I thought it sounded OK, but I didn't think about it any more.

Then in March 2015, I watched the Running Man episode Yerin was on (I admit.. I watched it because I'm a fan of EXID.. :/). Thought she was hilarious and recognized the song, so I searched them up on Youtube. I was really impressed by how much they practiced their choreography, and became a bit of a casual fan of them. By the time summer came, I liked Me Gustas Tu, but didn't really pay too much attention (again, thanks to EXID's Showtime season). I also saw the news of the slipping incident pop up everywhere and was impressed by their professionalism.

In January 2016, I was in-between jobs and had a lot of free time before Rough came out, and after watching EXID's Weekly Idol episodes again, I noticed Gfriend's on the side. I was curious about the group I sorta like, so I watched it... and, well, you know what Gfriend's Weekly Idol episodes do to people. Bought all their albums, flew to Toronto just to see them, spent over $100 on gifts for each members, fanchanted until my voice was dead, and now, I'm here (and slightly more broke than before)! But, I couldn't be happier. :D

Seeing them for the first time was at karaoke with my sis, I didn't like GFriend that time yet but they truly catch my attention!

And then I started watching and listen to their MV (Me Gustas Tu) and I was like, wow somehow they're so different than any other KPop that I know before, they have a really powerful dance and a really catchy song! In fact GFriend was the first KPop that I actually like! lol 

And at the same time I started liking GFriend, Rough came out, listen to Rough, and then here I am now. :D

On 1.7.2016 at 2:30 PM, singermelodie1 said:

I was on allkpop and there was an article about Gfriend copying snsd and only the teaser was out. I don't think they were similar at all even when the full video came out. Since I'm also a fan of Berry good, I watched their weekly idol with Gfriend and that's when I started to fall in love with the girls.

Yeah wish Berry Good was this known aswell their vocals are no joke, Their latest song Angel is also one of my favorite comebacks so far in 2016

On 2.7.2016 at 0:59 PM, Who? said:

I really like watching dance practice videos and I randomly came across "Me gustas tu". After first five seconds I already knew these girls are something else. So many catchy moves, sharp and fast, not like other girlgroups, and the music itself was good! Also, Yuju really caught my eye. Then I watched "Glass bead" dance practice and was again blown away. I learned their names and watched some of their shows, but I was just a casual fan until "Rough" came out. Then I totally fell in love. Combo of great song + great dance + new content + looking at them getting awards and recognition and feeling so proud of them ^_^

Actually same story for me haha i slowly but surely got a fan and yeah Rough was turning point especially seeing their reaction after 1st win did it for me

I find out them from some article about copying SNSD ITNW, though it doesn't sound similar to me. I liked their music, but I didn't follow them (I didn't follow any group back then, I just listened music). I was really sad that they got so much hate just because of that. When their comeback song was released I really liked their whole album, so I think I just became a buddy like that!

p.s. though I am surprised that there are people who hated them at first. I mean how can a person hate a group? I can understand if a a person checks their music and doesn't like, but hate? I don't hate ny group, but some of the group's fandom...

I don't remember much of it vividly, but I was on twitter one day and saw this promo image of this new group pre-debut and they were sitting on this windowsill wearing white shirts and red shorts in this picture and I just knew then and there this was my new favorite group. It was love at first sight for sure.

Well.. that how I started liking Gfriend, but "why" I cant explain. It's just like being in love, you know? You cant point to any one thing and even if you tried you end up with less clarity than when you started but you just know it in your bones. 

On 7/4/2016 at 2:08 AM, sinbby said:

Gfriend actually got me into k-pop. I stumbled on the glass bead vid of theirs and idk I loved the beat and dance so much. I had it on repeat lool then that's when I saw Me Gustas Tu and Rough. I fell for them I thought they were all so gorgeous and omg the dance and their energy just attracted me to them. I normally don't like cute girl groups  but I adore Gfriend so much. Then that's when I saw the dance practices and weekly idol's and they killed me. I started to stan them and now I'm their trash. Gfriend is the only girl group that I love so much, all of them are just so funny and chill and make me laugh all the time. They just cheer me up

It seems like your story is a bit similar to mine. Awesome.

I've been casually into kpop for... maybe a year? I listened to a few songs and knew a very limited amount of groups. However, during last year's winter break, since I had a lot of time on my hands, I decided to look further into it... and thank god I did! I was checking out lots of debuts from last year and Glass Bead's chorus caught my interest instantly. It was so fresh and felt old school so it really stood out to me. I wasn't really a fan at first though, it was all very casual. Then I found Me Gustas Tu, and watched their Year-End Special Inkigayo performance and wow! These girls can pull off that kind of choreography while singing! I was blown away. So when I heard they were having a comeback in January I started to gather information about the members, listen to their other songs... and then I got to experience Rough era. And what a journey it was! I started to watch their variety shows and fell in love with all of their personalities, and became so invested in the fandom in a way I've never been before? I liked them and their music so much that I became a Buddy in a limited amount of time... and now it's 5 months and counting, and I'm sure I will end up counting a lot of them :D

I always check out new groups when they pop up on /r/kpop, and I vaguely remember GFriend's teaser pics coming out and thinking, "oh, this looks kinda plain". Come the day of the Glass Bead release and I completely miss it, it's only the next day that my friend tells me that GFriend's debut song sounds like Into the New World, and that a majority of the members were younger than we were (which was new for us). Being a newer kpop fan (~2013), I had never actually heard INTW so I go watch Glass Bead without any preconceptions. The MV was fairly simple, and only Yerin's visuals had caught my attention at this point. But after a few listens I decided I liked the song, then I go on to watch their performances, their backstage appearances, their first variety appearance on Yaman, Yerin on Running Man, and before I know it I was looking forward to everything they were in. And somewhere along the way I became Eunha biased :D

ok let's start. hjahahahaha. even though i soulfully hate koreaboo now, they are also the reason why i checked gfriend out. my first video of them was their me gustas music video. i was shooked with their visuals and their dancing routine. it was cutely bad ass. also, while i was watching MGT mv, i thought yuju was the main visual. if your curious what was the article koreaboo written about gfriend, it was when taemin of shinee (was it taemin?, well whtvr) respected gfriend bla bla. i didn't really stan them after watching that mv... but i must admit they left a powerful impression. i started liking them like hardcore when i watched their 2nd weekly idol ep, and i'm freaking inlove with their live performances. (specially 'white') usually groups who comes from small companies don't get pretty songs in their album. usually, the only pretty song is their title song. but i love all the songs in their season of glass mini album. so yea, that's my lame ass buddy journey story.

I've been into kpop for about 7-8 years, yet I kinda late discover gfriend. I first discovered them through Weekly Idol (the episode of me gustas tu era, but I watched it in between their Rough promotion, lol). This group really snatched me in random dance challenge. The girls are so charming and I really like their songs & concept (young & innocent but not the cutesy one). I adore them more after watching their infamous "slipping" fancam. Then I watched all their mv. Around that time they're still promoting Rough so I watched all their perfs, too. I just have a feel that this group is gonna be great, for sure. I also watched their variety shows and interviews (big thanks for gfss, gfriendunited, and all subbers out there :)).

Honestly, my fav is Sowon because I kinda see Sooyoung feel in her, lol. I was a fan of snsd sooyoung back then.

Edited by kirinomoni

qIRUFIR.gif

Discovered them during rough era on a youtube site called kentertainment. This song was ranked number 2 that time and fell in love the first time I heard the chorus. When I saw them dancing the 2x faster version of the song, I noticed 1 thing about them. They definitely work very hard for their group seeing how crazy their synchronization =,= (I'm not saying other group are not working hard) Then, I knew they have many haters since their debut(which people claim glass bead sounds like ITNW) Na..I didn't find any similarities, I don't know why. (I used to love Girls Generation) Also, the viral video of yuju slipping during performing (which some of the comments are unacceptable) and people claiming Me Gustas Tu is the new version of Gee ( I know life sucks =,=)

But they are really interesting in their own ways and I never hate them. I have many reasons for loving them(let's just keep it to myself, okay? pretty sure we all have the same reasons for stanning them, right?) I can't put it into words. 

I hope we can stay strong to support them! ^_^ 

Been a Gfriend fan since Glass Bead when I saw them on Weekly Idol with Berry Good!

They worked so hard and slayed the choreo even though it was difficult! 

Since then it took me up to Rough to decide on <3 Eunha <3 as my bias! But they are all so amazing :)

They are the reason I made an account on OneHallyu and AKP! I had to meet more Buddies to talk to about how awesome our 6 princesses are!

And to defend them against the anti-fans haha 

To be honest, the first time I heard of them was somewhere nearing the end of 2015 and it was through the famous fancam (the falling one) and back then, I had 0 interest in K-pop. My friends told me it was a funny video and I actually laughed at them falling a little, thinking about it now makes me feel bad :(. However, let's fast-forward to May 2016, I went over to my friend's house to watch a competition and play games, right before I left because I felt really tired, he told me to wait and said," I need to show you this video man" and he played Rough on his PC, and I immediately got hooked on the MV and the song, AND YERIN xD. I kept asking him about Yerin throughout the Rough MV, After the Rough MV, i wanted to leave again but he stopped me to tell me that he had another video to show, this time it was the Glass Bead MV. After listening and watching those MVs, I slowly started falling in love with Gfriend and Kpop generally while still being completely oblivious to the fact that they were the girls I laughed at :(. Afterwards, he showed me the Me Gustas Tu MV and I realised how talented and unique they are! Afterwards I went home to search on everything about Gfriend, watching their Weekly Idols, etc. I really love this fandom and the girls, always surprising and cool! Later this year they're coming to Singapore where I live in and I'm so excited!

I knew what kpop was but I was never really interested it. Never really gave it a chance. Then Gfriend's falling video went viral and was all over reddit and other websites. I saw the video and felt so bad for them but even though I felt bad, I still enjoyed the song (my first language is Spanish, I thought it was so cute how they incorporated Spanish into their Korean song). I was interested in seeing what the actual choreography was supposed to look like (without falling) so I looked them up on youtube... Watched the Me Gustas Tu Music Video (Dancing Version) and just loved it. I couldn't stop watching/listening to the song. Then I found out Me Gustas Tu was actually from their second mini album (Flower Bud) and they had another album out. I was shocked because I had learned that they were still new to the scene, not even one year and they had 2 albums. I fell in love with Glass Bead and all the rest of the songs xD. The rest is history xD

Edited by Pedro

I can't tell you exactly! It's not that simple~ I'm a big yg ent fan which is completely nothing like Gfriend. I saw an article about then debuting soon and thought nothing of it, the only thing I noticed was Sinb looked like Jessica who is my ultimate female bias and thought that was cool. Then flash foward to Glassbead realease I listened to it because I listen to a lot of new groups and I feel in love instantly!!!! I told my friends about them and shared the video everywhere! They are the first Kpop group where I learned the members names and faces perfectly on the first day! After that stanned them so hard, I noticed haters coming out of the wood work calling them "ugly","plastic","untalented","plagiarism idols" all of which is completely untrue! They are beautiful and amazing girls! I'm so proud of them from debut  to their rainy stage incident to their all kill to their amazing pre sales! I'm gonna be here for it all, again I don't know what I like about them but they have something special and are unique individuals in my eyes, I wanna see them reach the top and make a huge name for themselves. I believe they have the potential to be great! Buddy until the end!!!

tumblr_nikrn9Ne1j1r1zfppo6_400.gif