cutebuddie13

SOURCE MUSIC IS OVERWORKING GFRIEND!

20 posts in this topic

As you know Gfriend recently released their second full length album called "Time For Us" which is their best album so far and I think they're improving a lot and releasing high quality content. I live all of the songs!

As you know Gfriend made a mv for Sunrise and is performing it a lot recently. I wanna talk about those performances.

Usually when Gfriend sings live they really do sing live because they have the vocals to do so and they don't really need to lip sync. Because of this I decided to check out Sunrise MR removed videos. I expected to hear all of the girls really singing live. But what I heard was really strange. Let me explain.

There was one performance in which it felt as if Yuju wasn't singing live while the other girls where. Yuju's voice sounded pre recorded and lacked that live feel that she has usually. In other performances Yuju didn't sing her high note at all.

There's one performance in particular that got me worried. It's the one at the 28th Seoul Music Awards. Gfriend sounded really bad. This got me really worried. They couldn't hold the notes well and sometimes where too shaky and did very poorly on high notes. That's not usual for Gfriend! They can do much much better than that!

So my theory is that Source Music works the girls too much. They had to record a full album and I bet that it took a toll on their vocal cords. And now they're performing all of the time. They don't have enough time to rest their vocal cords and get the strength they need to perform well. I'm actually really angry at Source Music! Gfriend should perform less and take care of themselves more! I want to see more high quality live performances rather than seeing the girls do many but fail vocally.

We could make a petition to get the girls more rest and send it to Source Music. What do you think?

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using GFSquad.com mobile app

While I do believe there's a time to rest and relax, during promotions is not one of those times. In the ever competitive market of K-Pop the girls need to be out there performing their hearts out to maintain an edge. We, as fans, must remind ourselves that promoting is what they do, it is their jobs after all. Being an idol is what the girls signed up for and it is their dream. Having work in a tough (and unforgiving) industry is a good thing.

Having good health, mind and body, is ever important especially during promotions. Still, being human beings, the girls may get sick or for whatever reason may not be 100%. It is tough to see but that is life. I can only hope that Source Music pays close attention to the well-being of GFRIEND and manages their workload and work conditions well. At least for now, I don't see a reason for them to stop.

For me, I am happy to see the girls doing what they love and doing it with full effort. Let's keep it up girls! Hwaiting!

:gfs-smilie-gfriend: :gfs-smilie-hwaiting:

I understand how you feel. but so far, I don't see any volition made by SouMu toward the girls. we're all aware that idol's comeback promotion is full of hectic schedules. not just for the idol themselves, but for the staff too. especially their managers who always take care the girls for 24/7. so, overworking is kinda "normal" for people in Kpop Industry. just like what Umji said (in Navillera Era) that being Idol is like doing an Extreme Job :/ but rest assure, we can monitor the girls everyday. mostly from K-buddies' social media, we can follow the girls' activities. from music shows, radio shows and fansign events. we can see that they are all healthy and having fun as always :D

about their vocal condition, I don't see any issue. if you watch live performance on radio shows and follow their encore stage from this Tuesday (The Show), until now (Inkigayo), we can hear their amazing live performance. and their voices are beautiful as always ^_^ 

so, I don't think we should do petition yet. since there's no apparent problem here. the girls looks fine. there's no sign of fatigue or sickness in them. and I hope they can stay healthy during this promotion. after comeback promotion ends, they usually have more free time. at this point, I hope SouMu can give them proper rest. 

While I do believe there's a time to rest and relax, during promotions is not one of those times. In the ever competitive market of K-Pop the girls need to be out there performing their hearts out to maintain an edge. We, as fans, must remind ourselves that promoting is what they do, it is their jobs after all. Being an idol is what the girls signed up for and it is their dream. Having work in a tough (and unforgiving) industry is a good thing.
Having good health, mind and body, is ever important especially during promotions. Still, being human beings, the girls may get sick or for whatever reason may not be 100%. It is tough to see but that is life. I can only hope that Source Music pays close attention to the well-being of GFRIEND and manages their workload and work conditions well. At least for now, I don't see a reason for them to stop.
For me, I am happy to see the girls doing what they love and doing it with full effort. Let's keep it up girls! Hwaiting!
:gfs-smilie-gfriend: :gfs-smilie-hwaiting:
I understand that promotions isnt the right time to rest. But I just can't stand seeing Yuju lip sync when she usually can hit those notes live.
Imagine that the new fans that have just discovered Gfriend because of Sunrise would listen to the MR removed videos. They would be disappointed to hear lip syncing and wouldn't think so high of Gfriend's singing skills even though the girls are super talented. That's what worries me.
Also the haters might use this opportunity to bash Gfriend. That worries me too.

26 minutes ago, cutebuddie13 said:

I understand that promotions isnt the right time to rest. But I just can't stand seeing Yuju lip sync when she usually can hit those notes live.
Imagine that the new fans that have just discovered Gfriend because of Sunrise would listen to the MR removed videos. They would be disappointed to hear lip syncing and wouldn't think so high of Gfriend's singing skills even though the girls are super talented. That's what worries me.
Also the haters might use this opportunity to bash Gfriend. That worries me too.

I hear you. :)

Rather than negative comments, I've seen a lot of praise for Eunha and Yerin these days for their singing. People were taking notice since the teasers.

I cannot go into the minds of what people think, but I sure hope they don't use MR removed videos as a tool to measure singers' abilities. MR takes away so much music information and distorts the human voice and makes it sound robotic. Moreover, most music shows play the backtracks (or pre-recorded live tracks) so loud that you can barely hear any (live) singing anyway. (*A better evaluation are shows like Sketchbook, Immortal Song, and radio shows, where you can hear the singing good or bad.) When I watch music shows I pay attention to the performances than the singing. With all that dancing they do, I wonder how they can sing properly in the first place. As for lip-syncing, even the best singers lip-sync from time-to-time or have their off days. The haters...Well...Everyone needs a purpose I guess. :P

I hear you.
Rather than negative comments, I've seen a lot of praise for Eunha and Yerin these days for their singing. People were taking notice since the teasers.
I cannot go into the minds of what people think, but I sure hope they don't use MR removed videos as a tool to measure singers' abilities. MR takes away so much music information and distorts the human voice and makes it sound robotic. Moreover, most music shows play the backtracks (or pre-recorded live tracks) so loud that you can barely hear any (live) singing anyway. (*A better evaluation are shows like Sketchbook, Immortal Song, and radio shows, where you can hear the singing good or bad.) When I watch music shows I pay attention to the performances than the singing. With all that dancing they do, I wonder how they can sing properly in the first place. As for lip-syncing, even the best singers lip-sync from time-to-time or have their off days. The haters...Well...Everyone needs a purpose I guess.
I see... I have a few questions:

1. Are you saying that when we hear Gfriend singing live they really aren't singing live because of pre recorded live track that they are lip syncing?

2. I have heard that the Sketchbook show isn't good example of live singing because the idols lip sync and that's why those performances sound the best in MR removed. Is that true?

3. Lots of times when I watch Gfriend singing on radio shows I can hear that the girls are singing on top of some kind of audio( sounds like pre recorded vocal or something). Is that true? If not, what is it? Also, why do they need to wear earphones? And what are those tools next to each girl? Is it for volume adjusting or something?
Also these radio persormances could be lip synced too like Gfriend showed once while singing Me Gustas Tu when Eunha did not lip sync a line she should have.

So in all honesty I'm super confused about when idols really sing live and when not. If you could go in depth on that then it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I agree with GFSuzr. 

just want to add. for all Buddies, or anyone who into K-pop, please avoid MR Removed Videos. it's not that useful. the full reason can be watch from this video :

TL;DW : MR Removed it's not a tool to measure how good or bad the singer is. 
so, it's not a correct way to promote a singer. for those who interested in idols' singing capabilities, you can watch King of Mask Singer, Immortal Song 2, Duet Song Festival or Fantastic Duo (in which Yuju and Wheesung won in 2017 :D)

if trolls/haters bash Gfriend, please ignore it. Gfriend has been bashed for a long of time, but they still strong, solid, great and amazing as always :) any negative remarks about them or haters dragging them won't make them bad or lose their greatness. they still considered as one of the top Korean girl group ^_^

1 hour ago, cutebuddie13 said:

I see... I have a few questions:

1. Are you saying that when we hear Gfriend singing live they really aren't singing live because of pre recorded live track that they are lip syncing?

2. I have heard that the Sketchbook show isn't good example of live singing because the idols lip sync and that's why those performances sound the best in MR removed. Is that true?

3. Lots of times when I watch Gfriend singing on radio shows I can hear that the girls are singing on top of some kind of audio( sounds like pre recorded vocal or something). Is that true? If not, what is it? Also, why do they need to wear earphones? And what are those tools next to each girl? Is it for volume adjusting or something?
Also these radio persormances could be lip synced too like Gfriend showed once while singing Me Gustas Tu when Eunha did not lip sync a line she should have.

So in all honesty I'm super confused about when idols really sing live and when not. If you could go in depth on that then it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. If you have been a kpop fan for a long time you would be able to tell when someone is singing live or not, singing with backtrack/or just using pre-recorded vocals are common nowadays. But 1 performance do have multiple takes so they might also overlay their live singing with the backtrack (it happens sometimes so they might actually be singing live but we just can't tell through the video we watch). 

2. No, people are not allowed to lip sync on sketchbook, its 1 of the shows where we can actually hear them live 100%, however i do believe sketchbook's sound system is fantastic that's why groups always sound great when they perform there.

3. The girls usually sing live on radio shows, but the backtrack is also playing in the background although softer, that's why you can hear 2 voices (1 live and 1 backtrack). I believe they wear earphones so they can hear their own voices, and the volume is probably just.. volume adjusting lol. I'm not really sure about that Eunha incident because i really didn't pay attention to it at that time but what matters is we know GFriend is very capable of singing live.

SinB is a sly pepe that's why i love her

t5m6ts.gif2cy3dcm.gif

i remember that SinB said she never mind if they have busy schedule

Sent from my Redmi 6 using GFSquad.com mobile app

I'm just curious as to when they'll release that so-called statement regarding Yuju's AWOL in November.....

FEZ4zS.gif "Fall down eight times, get up nine." 

"Вся слава Тому, Кто искупил жизнь мою"

I think after the first week of promotions (when most groups lip-sync on most music shows) they've been performing live with a backtrack on most shows, and performing well. Yuju had flu at the start of promotions so was lip-syncing more than the others and sounded noticeably off her game when she was live (e.g at SMA where she struggled with the TFTMN high note and lip-synced to Sunrise) but she sounds all better now. She does tend to lip-sync the start of the chorus but she used to do something similar with Rough because of how long her part is during such an energetic dance. As for the high note I'm not really sure why she's lipping often but I suppose if she's still recovering that's ok, and we still don't know why she was gone in November and had such a dramatic weight loss so that might even tie in. I wouldn't worry about haters though imo this is their best comeback vocally and even if Yuju isn't at her peak Eunha is on fire this comeback and SinB's got her first high note in a title track. Promotions often will screw with your voice but kpop is so competitive you have to work super hard just to keep up and in comparison Source seems like one of the more humane companies to work for

Yuju was still recovering when they released Sunrise but she powered through it regardless

FEZ4zS.gif "Fall down eight times, get up nine." 

"Вся слава Тому, Кто искупил жизнь мою"

Thanks @23peaches for answering. ^_^

One thing I don't exactly care about K-Pop songs is the (over) use of high notes in songs. The most capable of singers struggle and stressing their vocal cords constantly cannot be good. I don't know what these writers (or whoever is making these decisions) are thinking. I get it, fans love when their favs belt out high notes. It is impressive but I question whether it is necessary? Maybe for another discussion I guess. :$

On 1/29/2019 at 6:26 AM, GFSuzr said:

One thing I don't exactly care about K-Pop songs is the (over) use of high notes in songs. The most capable of singers struggle and stressing their vocal cords constantly cannot be good. I don't know what these writers (or whoever is making these decisions) are thinking. I get it, fans love when their favs belt out high notes. It is impressive but I question whether it is necessary? Maybe for another discussion I guess. :$

I agree with this. Too much high-notes and high-pitch can be stressful and dizzy for listeners. 

Edited by Kuchai_Lama

On 1/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, GFSuzr said:

High notes like those are like guitar solos in rock music. No, they're not always needed, but they give the vocalist a chance to show off their chops. Most people are impressed by them and it generates positive buzz for the song. There are definitely many other ways vocalists can showcase their talents but being able to belt out high notes is the most obvious and marketable.

More on topic, I understand the sentiments and concern expressed for the girls, but at the end of the day, being KPop idols is their job and career. We care a lot for them and want to coddle them as a result, but we should expect them to perform a lot and have more activities during promotion times. Without these periods of hard work they wouldn't be able to be successful. I'd probably be more concerned if they were like... flying back and forth between Korea and Japan multiple times a week and doing activities/performances. Not to diminish the girls' hard work, but plenty of musical artists actively tour and perform three-hour sets every other night and have lengthy careers. I think the girls will be fine!

As @Scene Stealer mentioned, they sounded great during the encore stages! (Although I'll admit Yerin sounded kind of flat from the ones I saw.) Whether or not they sing a lot during performances is a complex issue. Just because they can doesn't mean they will and health concerns/fatigue doesn't have to be the sole reason.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, arconoclast said:

High notes like those are like guitar solos in rock music. No, they're not always needed, but they give the vocalist a chance to show off their chops. Most people are impressed by them and it generates positive buzz for the song. There are definitely many other ways vocalists can showcase their talents but being able to belt out high notes is the most obvious and marketable.

I got quoted! :D

I agree with you BTW.

I like high notes when they are delivered with consistency and proficiency. It's like the money shot or hitting the ball out of the park (a home run). Like many rock guitarists and singers, they're good at what they do and can do it time again and again. Singers (who are not idols) know their range and what they can do on a given day. Unlike recordings where singers can do multiple takes, K-Pop singers are often given high notes they can do sometimes, but not every time (less with a 50% proficiency). This is my issue. The problem is not the high notes but the excessive high notes. It is not the singers fault, as that fault lies on the writers (except on variety shows when singers choose a song that has a crazy range and sings out of tune, which happens often).

My rule of thumb is that if you cannot hit a note live on the spot then it's a good changes that the note is out of your range or that you're not at that level to sing it with consistency. The efficiency of hitting any note should be almost always. For example, if my range is between a 1 (lowest octave) - 5 (highest octave), for me to sing consistently, I'll (and this is hypothetically) stick to a 2.5 - 4.5. At least here I'm in my comfortable zone and I can sing with higher confidence with less stress.

Again, it's the range outside of the singers ability that I question. I hope I clarified well. :P

19 hours ago, GFSuzr said:

I got quoted! :D

I agree with you BTW.

I like high notes when they are delivered with consistency and proficiency. It's like the money shot or hitting the ball out of the park (a home run). Like many rock guitarists and singers, they're good at what they do and can do it time again and again. Singers (who are not idols) know their range and what they can do on a given day. Unlike recordings where singers can do multiple takes, K-Pop singers are often given high notes they can do sometimes, but not every time (less with a 50% proficiency). This is my issue. The problem is not the high notes but the excessive high notes. It is not the singers fault, as that fault lies on the writers (except on variety shows when singers choose a song that has a crazy range and sings out of tune, which happens often).

My rule of thumb is that if you cannot hit a note live on the spot then it's a good changes that the note is out of your range or that you're not at that level to sing it with consistency. The efficiency of hitting any note should be almost always. For example, if my range is between a 1 (lowest octave) - 5 (highest octave), for me to sing consistently, I'll (and this is hypothetically) stick to a 2.5 - 4.5. At least here I'm in my comfortable zone and I can sing with higher confidence with less stress.

Again, it's the range outside of the singers ability that I question. I hope I clarified well. :P

Yeah, I understand! I think it's probably that for Kpop performances, the choreography takes priority and it limits the vocal performance/range due to additional stress and fatigue. On your point about the writers, it kind of begs the question: should the writers consider how the performer can sing live rather than just how they can sing in studio? Should songs not be written if they can't be reproduced live with consistency? In a genre/industry like Kpop that is so heavily driven by live performances, it's a unique situation.

In other genres of music, the singer performing live usually has the freedom to adjust notes outside of their range by, for example, reducing it by an octave or fifth or something... and it's acceptable. It feels like idols are held a different, higher standard for their live performances.

20 hours ago, arconoclast said:

Yeah, I understand! I think it's probably that for Kpop performances, the choreography takes priority and it limits the vocal performance/range due to additional stress and fatigue. On your point about the writers, it kind of begs the question: should the writers consider how the performer can sing live rather than just how they can sing in studio? Should songs not be written if they can't be reproduced live with consistency? In a genre/industry like Kpop that is so heavily driven by live performances, it's a unique situation.

In other genres of music, the singer performing live usually has the freedom to adjust notes outside of their range by, for example, reducing it by an octave or fifth or something... and it's acceptable. It feels like idols are held a different, higher standard for their live performances.

I've wondered about their freedom to adjust/adlib and I suspect that for the most part the artists stick to what they are told to do. I've been watching Grazy Grace (solo artist) and soobeanie_ (Tina from Blady) on YouTube, and they give insides to what goes on in the Idol world. They say that everything that we see and hear are constructed by their companies. It makes sense too and I believe them. When I listen to live performances it feels like the artists sing the same way with little variations. For most of them, anyway. Whereas maybe seasoned artists have more creative freedom.

You've raised an interesting question of whether song writers place focus on the studio or live. I'm leaning towards studio because if the opposite were true, then I'd hear better live singing. I feel that idols should at least sing good enough to get by live. Unlike dedicated singers who can perfect their techniques, idols train in a mixed bag of skills, so some things have to give. While there are some idols who are proficient in singing and dancing, it is not that common, and therefore they stand out in the crowd. Your question makes me wonder. :D

I think after the first week of promotions (when most groups lip-sync on most music shows) they've been performing live with a backtrack on most shows, and performing well. Yuju had flu at the start of promotions so was lip-syncing more than the others and sounded noticeably off her game when she was live (e.g at SMA where she struggled with the TFTMN high note and lip-synced to Sunrise) but she sounds all better now. She does tend to lip-sync the start of the chorus but she used to do something similar with Rough because of how long her part is during such an energetic dance. As for the high note I'm not really sure why she's lipping often but I suppose if she's still recovering that's ok, and we still don't know why she was gone in November and had such a dramatic weight loss so that might even tie in. I wouldn't worry about haters though imo this is their best comeback vocally and even if Yuju isn't at her peak Eunha is on fire this comeback and SinB's got her first high note in a title track. Promotions often will screw with your voice but kpop is so competitive you have to work super hard just to keep up and in comparison Source seems like one of the more humane companies to work for
Yuju lost weight? When? I didn't notice at all. Could you show examples?

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, cutebuddie13 said:

Yuju lost weight? When? I didn't notice at all. Could you show examples?

There was a V-Live after she got back where she said she'd lost 6kg although I don't think she mentioned why. Also if you compare pictures of her at awards shows just after her hiatus with schedules before she looks a bit thinner especially her legs. e.g.

Sunny Summer behind the scenes: Image result for yuju sunny summer promotions

MMA: tumblr_pj21foR1nV1u0guzxo1_1280.jpg