Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kuchai_Lama

Is SUNRISE the best title track from SOURCE MUSIC library? Some suggestion and tips for SOURCE MUSIC to take

13 posts in this topic

Apparently no, it's not. I'm completely baffled because GFRIEND said on the interview:

They still have much higher quality songs (serious and art music) that are still hidden in the Source Music basement. Not yet being released probably the CEO So Sung-jin has different vision, purpose and strategy to release it. 

Some tips and suggestion for Source Music to improve the rigorous test implemented on the unreleased title track:

Before releasing title track to the public, ask some constructive feedback not only from Source Music staffs and the girls, but also from outsiders….neighbor in Korea, ordinary people in Korea, producers/composers in Korea, and people in street art in Hongdae. Be careful when choosing the sample of population in order to avoid “garbage-in, garbage-out”, meaning to say that poor feedback will produce faulty product. In general, people who are genuinely a music lover should be the sample. Also people who plays music instruments and producing indie music can also be an accurate sample.

So in short, the samples are:

- Ordinary people with ages ranging from 20s to 40s.

- Music lovers.

- Producers and composers. Source Music need to use their connection for seeking feedback of the unreleased songs. This is the real advantage when So Sung-Jin has a lot of connection.

Give the unreleased/prototype title track to the public, and tell them that these songs are confidential as it’s not released to the public yet because we don’t want the title track being leaked to internet.  Tell them that we just want some honest feedback regarding the song. Ask people to listen and play the unreleased title track for about 4 to 5 months. After 4-5months, then go back to them and ask them, how is the songs? Do you like it? Is there any part of the song that can be improved? Please tell us how is your emotional reaction when you listen to the song? The song need to pass this rigorous test. I choose 4 to 5 months period of test because the song has the law of diminishing return. The first you listen it, it’s very good and addicting, but after listening it for about 1 months, it gets bored and uninteresting. The song should have a love-call feature that can attract the listeners to listen it again repeatedly for a long time.

Edited by Kuchai_Lama

well, I'm not expert in art or music industry, but I believe there are a lot of reason as why the CEO chose Sunrise as title track. perhaps they will eventually use the original title track for repackage album? so, we can assume that Sunrise is just an prelude to the bigger, the amazing, the ultimate song. something like, "save the best for the last". another bussiness strategy that I might never understand...

personally, I love Sunrise. I really love the chorus, the choreography and their outfits are so gorgeous ^_^ and so far, the reception is great. Time for Us physical sales in the 1st week is better than TFTMN. they even got their 1st Music Show Trophy last night :) perhaps they will also win some trophies (if not all) for this week. so, I don't mind for Sunrise for not being the "best". 

one thing that I dissagree about this matter is the facts that the girls don't have any rights to choose their own song :( they're in 5th year already. I want them to be more active in producing or co-producing their own music, their own song and even choregraph their dance. so they can be true artist and can show us with confidence and proud. not just performer that only follow the CEO's order... -_-

I can definitely understand how the girls were lukewarm in receiving these last two songs. TFTMN and Sunrise are very different to the kind of music we are seeing today. Just having a look at the melon charts, it's full of hiphop, ballads and edm, nothing at all similar to Sunrise or gfriend's distinct sound. I imagine that the girls probably wanted a song that's a bit trendier instead of the power innocents concept source music is obsessed about(albeit has been very successful).

Edited by brandonlieu

On 1/23/2019 at 7:14 AM, Scene Stealer said:

well, I'm not expert in art or music industry, but I believe there are a lot of reason as why the CEO chose Sunrise as title track. perhaps they will eventually use the original title track for repackage album? so, we can assume that Sunrise is just an prelude to the bigger, the amazing, the ultimate song. something like, "save the best for the last". another bussiness strategy that I might never understand...

personally, I love Sunrise. I really love the chorus, the choreography and their outfits are so gorgeous ^_^ and so far, the reception is great. Time for Us physical sales in the 1st week is better than TFTMN. they even got their 1st Music Show Trophy last night :) perhaps they will also win some trophies (if not all) for this week. so, I don't mind for Sunrise for not being the "best". 

one thing that I dissagree about this matter is the facts that the girls don't have any rights to choose their own song :( they're in 5th year already. I want them to be more active in producing or co-producing their own music, their own song and even choregraph their dance. so they can be true artist and can show us with confidence and proud. not just performer that only follow the CEO's order... -_-

Me too. I'm not an expert in art but I'm a music lover. I like music and art movies. If you have the opportunity, I recommend you to watch Tsai Ming Liang- The Hole (1998). It's an art movie. 

Music is the way of expressing yourself freely and communicate the message clearly to the audience. If the song is manufactured by the company, and the girls are only following the song that was made by the company given to them, then it's kinda lack of connection and feel to the general public. Popular artists such as IU and G-DRAGON who express herself and himself passionately into the music they created.

The story and message need to be relatable and can be understood by ordinary people without watching MV. Is the lyric clear enough so that the story and message can be understood by ordinary people who listen and read it without watching MV? The message need to be direct and non-abstract. There must be a clear reason as to why they choose the type of melody and instrumental. There must be a clear reason as to why singers use high-notes. The purpose of melody and instrumental is to highlight the message of what they're trying to express in the music in a fashionable way. All of those factors need to be coherent and can be understood by ordinary people who are not Buddies because the title track is the product that will be sold to the general public.

Let's take a look the example of other songs:

- Chunga I gotta go>>It's about female and male who are having some sort of intimate feeling, and almost got into having a sex. The girl understood the situation but she decide to reject the invitation of having intimate relationship because she need to go. It's already 12 AM, meaning to say she's unwilling to do so. This is what my interpretation just by reading to the lyric and listening to the melody and instrumental without watching MV. The choice of melody and instrumental are supporting this message and lyrics clearly.

- MC The MAX 넘쳐흘러>>it's about someone who is suddenly remember about his tragic torn relationship in the past. He lost something valuable in his during his live. He has a deep scar in his heart. He doesn't want to remember the pain again, but then suddenly the memory pop-up, so immediately he/she feel very sad now. He want to go back to the past to fix the problem but that will not happen because it's already lost forever. The choice of melody, high-notes and instrumental are supporting this message and lyrics clearly. I can feel the emotion clearly.

@Scene Stealer For this opportunity, can you kindly tell me your interpretation of Sunrise without looking and connecting deeper into their past MV? Just by reading the lyric and listening to the melody and instrumental without watching the MV, what kind of message that they're trying to say? Is it the hope they're trying to reach desperately? There must be a reason as to why Sunrise has 2 tone and mood...happy in the beginning and a little bit sad in the ending and climax. 

Edited by Kuchai_Lama

On 1/25/2019 at 7:17 AM, brandonlieu said:

I can definitely understand how the girls were lukewarm in receiving these last two songs. TFTMN and Sunrise are very different to the kind of music we are seeing today. Just having a look at the melon charts, it's full of hiphop, ballads and edm, nothing at all similar to Sunrise or gfriend's distinct sound. I imagine that the girls probably wanted a song that's a bit trendier instead of the power innocents concept source music is obsessed about(albeit has been very successful).

I don't think Sunrise is very very different from hip-hop and ballads. It's not an experimental song. CIFIKA is the experimental song, like this:

GFRIEND has their own style and color, and they said they also like the song.

Kindly let me know if you have some opinion and feedback about Sunrise.

Edited by Kuchai_Lama

2 hours ago, Kuchai_Lama said:

Music is the way of expressing yourself freely and communicate the message clearly to the audience. If the song is manufactured by the company, and the girls are only following the song that was made by the company given to them, then it's kinda lack of connection and feel to the general public. Popular artists such as IU and G-DRAGON who express herself and himself passionately into the music they create.

ah yes, I want Gfriend to be like IU or GD who can self-produce their own music/songs. or like BTS members who always contribute in their songs as writers/co-writers. Yuju always mention that she want to compose her own song. maybe SouMu can make it in the future album. I don't mind if it's only as a B-Side.

2 hours ago, Kuchai_Lama said:

@Scene Stealer For this opportunity, can you kindly tell me your interpretation of Sunrise without looking and connecting deeper into their past MV? Just by reading the lyric and listening to the melody and instrumental without watching the MV, what kind of message that they're trying to say? Is it the hope they're trying to reach desperately? There must be a reason as to why Sunrise has 2 tone and mood...happy in the beginning and a little bit sad in the ending and climax. 

to be honest, I don't usually interpret any Kpop songs :P I love Kpop because of the melody, catchy tunes and fits my liking. so I'm not look deeper into the lyrics or making any theories about the MV. just ordinary Kpop listener ^_^

although I do trying to figure out the meaning behind the famous Korean Ballads. like Memory of the Wind by Naul, Like it by Yoon Jung Shin, Wild Flower and Breath from Park Hyo Shin. to name a few...

anyway, there is another tidbits about Sunrise from yesterday radio show :

so, the original title track isn't ready at that time. which makes me positive that there will be a repackage album. and despite the changes, the girls still happy with Sunrise as the title track. happy to hear that :) 

and as time of my writing, Gfriend achieved their 5th win for Sunrise! :D I hope they can also win on Inkigayo tomorrow. so that they can achieve another Grand Slam ^_^

17 hours ago, Scene Stealer said:

to be honest, I don't usually interpret any Kpop songs :P I love Kpop because of the melody, catchy tunes and fits my liking. so I'm not look deeper into the lyrics or making any theories about the MV. just ordinary Kpop listener ^_^

I'm like this too! :D

The melodies, how things sound in the music composition, even how the voices sound is what attracts me first. There are cases when I want to know the deeper meaning behind the song (or in some cases the videos) and then I read the lyrics or interpretations/theories. But for the most part, I am swayed by what I'm listening to. Sometimes I'm hooked immediately and others the songs are a gradual build. It all goes for any genre, not just K-Pop.

As for title tracks, I don't always agree with the choices...And not only with GFRIEND, but with any group. When I review releases, I nearly always listen to the entire set of tracks in the release. If there are 2 songs I listened to both. If 10, I go through them all. There are many, many times when I discover a "THIS IS IT!!!" kind of song that is not the title track nor known to the public. I think people miss out if they only scan for title tracks or the most popular songs, which are often played on radio or music channels. I feel I only get a true sense of what the artist is about when I review their tracklist, not just title tracks.

As for myself, "Sunrise" is a gradual build kind of song whereas "Time For the Moon Night" was a "THIS IS IT" song off the bat. I'm not always in-sync with the public either. I liked "Fingertip" the moment I heard the first few notes and was shocked to find out it wasn't the case with other fans. To me if I like the song then I'm good.

As I digress, let's hope for a sweep with an Inkigayo win for "Sunrise"! Hwaiting!

:gfs-smilie-gfriend: :gfs-smilie-hwaiting:

On 1/26/2019 at 2:54 PM, Scene Stealer said:

ah yes, I want Gfriend to be like IU or GD who can self-produce their own music/songs. or like BTS members who always contribute in their songs as writers/co-writers. Yuju always mention that she want to compose her own song. maybe SouMu can make it in the future album. I don't mind if it's only as a B-Side.

although I do trying to figure out the meaning behind the famous Korean Ballads. like Memory of the Wind by Naul, Like it by Yoon Jung Shin, Wild Flower and Breath from Park Hyo Shin. to name a few...

anyway, there is another tidbits about Sunrise from yesterday radio show :

so, the original title track isn't ready at that time. which makes me positive that there will be a repackage album. and despite the changes, the girls still happy with Sunrise as the title track. happy to hear that :) 

and as time of my writing, Gfriend achieved their 5th win for Sunrise! :D I hope they can also win on Inkigayo tomorrow. so that they can achieve another Grand Slam ^_^

I see what you mean by casual listeners. 

Making self-compose song that will be loved by the general public is going to be super hard. I think a deeper communication between GFRIEND and the composer should be enough and sufficient, just like what they did during TFTMN era. The girls should give the input to the composer on what kind of story and melody they're trying to express on the song. The composer should try his best to deliver and making the song more delicious (in terms of beat making) to casual listeners.

Because for all its glory at the end of the day song production can be taught and learned. What you cannot teach though is the ability for the song you produce to make your listeners EXPERIENCE, thru perfect combination of arrangement and composition, lyrics, song part distribution and voice emotion. The above is the evaluation that can be evaluated objectively but beyond this, the song need to have some special and precious meaning to people based on its melody and runny beats. 

For SUNRISE, I think in general it's going good, not as we expected and probably not as they expected, but it's not a tragedy and there's so much space to improve in the future endeavor. SOURCE MUSIC should know better on how to utilize the group dynamic of GFRIEND. GFRIEND is the masterpiece of SOURCE MUSIC. 

This time I think is a no return way, after this they can't do anything like Sunny Summer anymore. They heavily promote Sunrise, which is the combination of many genre, including indie group band. Public perception on GFRIEND is slowly changing. But... I will not be surprised if summer comeback they do something like Sunny Summer again. After all, summer music usually is not something serious like Sunrise, ROUGH, TFTMN. But we will see how Source Music will do later.

Edited by Kuchai_Lama

wow, you like Chrono Cross OST too? this OST never leave my playlist ever since... my high school days :D best BGM for any situation :)

anyway, back to topic. in the end, we should trust SouMu to pick the best title track for the girls. and we should also trust the girls that they could deliver it flawlessly. which in the end, we as fans will surely pleased ^_^ it has proven by Sunrise. even if the girls don't seems amazed, this song managed to win 6 thropies, a Grand Slam xD something that we should be thankful and proud.

as time goes by, things will change. at 2015-2016, people got tired of sexy concept. then comes Gfriend with unique concept. innocent but powerful. people really loves that. which makes Gfriend as Trendy Idol. it was unpredictable. I'm sure SouMu didn't imagined that they will get that huge success. so, it's not because of SouMu has doing somekind of great research about their title track choice. even the CEO ever said in interview/variety show that one of things that needed for idol group to become success is... luck ^_^

now, in 2017-2018, music trend has also changing. I've observed that successful gg nowadays are hip-hop concept. and I think it will still become mainstream in the years to come. so, to please public or to attract new fans, I think Gfriend should try that hip-hop title track with completely new concept. although I personally pessimistic about this, because it will contradict with Gfriend's original color. but who knows...

personally, I don't mind if they stick to these kind of concept (TFTMN, Sunny Summer, Sunrise) or changing concept to something that's not public taste. I'm sure all buddy will always support them. so that they will always manage to success :)

For most casual listeners they stop at the title track unless the song totally catches their interest and maybe then they'll venture onto the non-title tracks. The title track sets the tone of the album. It has the potential of making or breaking an album. I generally review all of the songs so it's not necessarily a deal breaker if I'm not feeling a title track.

In my opinion "Time for us" has several songs that could HAVE easily been a title track. In fact, I would say about half of the songs could have been. I imagine there are many factors that go into choosing a title track. Sometimes it's clear as crystal while other times it's a toss up. For me I just go by what I like and my current mood. As a fan, I have it easy.

"Sunrise" has received a good response but it may not be the song of choice for everyone. I hope those people give the other songs on the album a chance. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by the diversity and quality of the songs. Unlike L.O.L., where the girls experimented with many genres, "Time for us" is more focused and mature sounding. GFRIEND is refining their sound.

The girls expressed wanting to try different things for each release and are not as concerned with the results as they are with their satisfaction. I think that is important as growing artists. As fans we should trust in the decisions of Source Music and the girls. They've done very well so far after all. :)

On 2/1/2019 at 0:44 PM, GFSuzr said:

For most casual listeners they stop at the title track unless the song totally catches their interest and maybe then they'll venture onto the non-title tracks. The title track sets the tone of the album. It has the potential of making or breaking an album. I generally review all of the songs so it's not necessarily a deal breaker if I'm not feeling a title track.

In my opinion "Time for us" has several songs that could HAVE easily been a title track. In fact, I would say about half of the songs could have been. I imagine there are many factors that go into choosing a title track. Sometimes it's clear as crystal while other times it's a toss up. For me I just go by what I like and my current mood. As a fan, I have it easy.

"Sunrise" has received a good response but it may not be the song of choice for everyone. I hope those people give the other songs on the album a chance. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by the diversity and quality of the songs. Unlike L.O.L., where the girls experimented with many genres, "Time for us" is more focused and mature sounding. GFRIEND is refining their sound.

The girls expressed wanting to try different things for each release and are not as concerned with the results as they are with their satisfaction. I think that is important as growing artists. As fans we should trust in the decisions of Source Music and the girls. They've done very well so far after all. :)

I wonder why Source Music doesn't produce double title track like, for example, Sunrise and You're Not Alone. Or maybe releasing pre-release just like IU - Through The Night. That way, public can have more flexibility on streaming it.

For me, mature music is more toward melancholic concept just like ROUGH (my favorite song)...heavily focusing on vocal, emotion/feels and melody, while the BPM of the music is more dynamic or non-constant. 

But they can also go to a bit more sexy music like IU Jam Jam (my favorite song) or Chungha Gotta Go. 

Finally, they can also go to a bit more urban concept just like @alohachingu mentioned in the other thread.

Edited by Kuchai_Lama

On 2/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, Kuchai_Lama said:

I wonder why Source Music doesn't produce double title track like, for example, Sunrise and You're Not Alone. Or maybe releasing pre-release just like IU - Through The Night. That way, public can have more flexibility on streaming it.

For me, mature music is more toward melancholic concept just like ROUGH (my favorite song)...heavily focusing on vocal, emotion/feels and melody, while the BPM of the music is more dynamic or non-constant. 

But they can also go to a bit more sexy music like IU Jam Jam (my favorite song) or Chungha Gotta Go. 

Finally, they can also go to a bit more urban concept just like @alohachingu mentioned in the other thread.

I also like IU's "Jam Jam", and I can picture GFRIEND singing it (with some changes to the high notes). I think SinB, Yerin, and Umji will fit the song perfectly. I'd fully support this kind of song for GFRIEND. It would be a nice change of pace. :)

I like Chungha but I'm not quite sold on "Gotta Go" for GFRIEND. I do, however, see SinB and Yuju excelling in the song.

There are other genres and styles I would like to see GFRIEND diving into but it may not be the right choice or a direction Source Music has in mind, let alone what Buddies want. Regardless, I'm very much open to GFRIEND exploring outside their current repertoire. Each new release I hope to hear something that is unexpected.

In Billboard Korea, Sowon said...

billboardkorea-sowon-2019-02-13_184036.jpg.ce9fd058ed02e1c8230f91efef93e6c4.jpg

"Girlcrush-Blasting" concept! She continues to say something like BLACKPINK, "charismatic song and dance". I don't know what "Blasting" means in "Girlcrush", but I'm all for it! Let's do this!

:gfs-smilie-gfriend: :gfs-smilie-hwaiting: