4 posts in this topic

How important was Gfriend for the innocent concept?

Gfriend debuted with an innocent concept in a year where Sexy concept was the trend. They succeeded, just look at the sales numbers of both Me gustas tu and Glass bead. What I admire is that they decided to create a whole new concept (this is badass in itself) that showed a new side of innocence. One that did not portray the girls as frail little girls that needed protection from the world. They showed the powerful, optimistic side of youth that has the potential to become mature and strong adults and the fighting spirit  youth possess. 

In Glass bead, they're basically saying: "Yes we are inexperienced, yes we are naive, yes we know nothing about the world... but watch out, cause we bring the storm." This Is so different from the cute- Innocent concept and frankly I don't think Gfriend gets enough credit for showing this side of innocence in Kpop. 

@alohachingu @Kuchai_Lama 

Green flower leaf ~ I think you are absolutely right. It is a pity that so many people don't understand the meaning of "powerful innocence" as a concept. It does not mean ignorance or lack of sophistication, but rather, in the case of Gfriend, a knowledge of what the real world is like, good and bad, but choosing to focus on light and love, and to never surrender one's values just because "everybody else does it." Instead, they tell the world "Yes, you may call us *innocents*, but we are proud and powerful." 

God bless our girls... They are "Angels & Beagles, Goddesses & Goofballs" 

"Best girl group"?

Best. GIRLSEVER. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, Green flower leaf said:

How important was Gfriend for the innocent concept?

Gfriend debuted with an innocent concept in a year where Sexy concept was the trend. They succeeded, just look at the sales numbers of both Me gustas tu and Glass bead. What I admire is that they decided to create a whole new concept (this is badass in itself) that showed a new side of innocence. One that did not portray the girls as frail little girls that needed protection from the world. They showed the powerful, optimistic side of youth that has the potential to become mature and strong adults and the fighting spirit  youth possess. 

In Glass bead, they're basically saying: "Yes we are inexperienced, yes we are naive, yes we know nothing about the world... but watch out, cause we bring the storm." This Is so different from the cute- Innocent concept and frankly I don't think Gfriend gets enough credit for showing this side of innocence in Kpop. 

@alohachingu @Kuchai_Lama 

This bold is the answer for your question.

In my eyes, Gfriend music is all about X but, hey look...we can transform the X into Y. For example if the X is about sentimental or melodramatic song, then the DNA of GFRIEND signature song can transform such X into Y, that is to say to add some intense/baddass tempo while simultaneously being agony or sad tone because they're such an innocent and fragile girls who have a pure hearts. They have 2 genre in 1 song for TFTMN and ROUGH. 

I've always felt that going against the grain was a large reason why they are so successful and this "innocent powerful" concept is part of that. While every other girl group turned to catchy earworm songs and edm/hiphop style songs, gfriend has remain very true to their sound.  My issue is when they focus too hard on this concept and forget to make a good song. Rough and TFTMN were perfect, concept and song wise.

Edited by brandonlieu