Gwoxenox

fanacc
[FANACC] 180728/29 Sunny Summer Fansigns in Bundang, Yongsan, Ilsan

6 posts in this topic

Bundang 180728:

Spoiler

Oh ffs I just got halfway through typing this then accidentally hit cancel. Shall try and replicate what I just wrote.

So this was my first time seeing Gfriend irl, I drew seat 49 but still had a great view. When you see famous people on TV you tend to judge them differently, and assume they'll come across differently in person, so when they first entered the stage I was blown away by how stunning they all looked and how they were just being their usual dorky selves. Then the first thing they did after introducing themselves was go and talk to a disabled fan in a wheelchair which was so nice.

Onto the fansign itself, everybuddy got just over a minute to talk to each member, which seems like so long when you're watching others. However once I was on the stage it flew past and it's kinda hard to believe I must've been up there for 7 or 8 minutes. I still have so much to say, but I suppose that's what tomorrow's for xD

Yuju was first up and she was super enthusiastic. I told her about the game I made last year (yeah that one I never got round to finishing the next installment. I guess I'm gonna have to now Yuju knows about it) and she was really curious and said I was amazing for making it. Yuju, one of the most impressive people on the planet, said I was amazing... What is life. Overall she seemed really eager to speak in English to a foreign fan (I was the only westerner there) which was super reassuring going into the fansign. Then, before I knew it, I was ushered on to the next member.

Eunha is a real sweetie. No real surprises there, but you often see things differently when they're on a screen and Eunha especially shone in person. Also her voice is actually the cutest thing my ears have ever heard. We went through the basics (what's your name, where are you from, is it your first time in Korea etc.) in a mixture of Korean and English, before she suddenly apologised for not speaking great English, even though I was the one not speaking great Korean in Korea. Even so we understood each other surprisingly well, something she attributed to us speaking 'the language of eyes' :'). I can't remember much about what else we talked about but she seemed so nice and genuine.

SinB was next and as I sat in front of her she turned to Yerin and said something I couldn't understand. I was quite nervous before speaking to SinB because from previous accounts she seemed to know the least English, but again we got through the basics comfortably in Korean. As soon as she heard I was from England her whole face lit up as she realised I was from the home of Harry Potter. Unfortunately I didn't understand much of what she said after this, other than it had something to do with Harry and she was very enthusiastic in saying it. After a while she realised I wasn't getting the message and happily waved me forward to Yerin.

As with SinB, Yerin turned and said something to SinB as I say in front of her. I have no idea what they were talking about but even so their friendship is the meaning of life. Yerin is my UB, so obviously this was a bit moment for me. What surprised me was how she seemed much more shy and reserved in person. I told her she was my favourite member and she just embarrassedly looked to the side saying "Oh me? Really?". I can't really remember much at all about our conversation. This is only my second ever fansign and my memory seems to be making a habit of blocking out whatever conversations I have with my biases. I think most of it was us not really understanding reach other's languages though, so onto Sowon.

Amusingly our conversation began with us both shrieking as I turned the page of the photobook to find that one of Sowon's pages had torn off. Once we'd got over that our battle against the language barrier begun. Luckily the fan in front of me had moved through quite quickly so Sowon was able to call on the help of Umji to translate when we got stuck. She asked for my age and when I replied 20 she was very surprised because I was too tall (I'm 6'1'' but even so having Sowon so amazed at my height seemed ironic). We didn't really get to say much but it was a fun conversation. Eventually though I had to succumb to the manager's pleas and move on despite Sowon completely ignoring him and continuing to talk to me.

I'd already spoken briefly to Umji during her translations of my conversation with Sowon, so we skipped introductions. Honestly it was like I was speaking to a friend I've known for years, she was so comfortable and friendly, and of course her English is near flawless. She also informed me that I was the first British buddy to come to a fansign which I feel very proud of. When I said that there weren't many UK kpop fans she replied that they must all be Harry Potter fans instead, which amused me given my earlier conversation with SinB. Like Sowon, Umji ignored the manager for a while as he told me to leave. It's nice to see them show that they enjoy talking to their fans.

Alas, eventually I had to leave the stage. After the signing was over there was the general tomfoolery with presents. Yerin had a net on her head everyone was trying (and mostly failing, with the occasional much cheered success) to throw balls in it, and there was a minor calamity involving the Eunbi line and a slinky. I think at the time I was somewhat in shock and couldn't really enjoy the experience to its fullest. The fact I was sweaty and exhausted after running to the venue due to me misunderstanding the start time probably didn't help either, but looking back on it it was an amazing experience.

Woops almost forgot Yerin gave me a hi-five my hand is blessed.

Yongsan 180729:

Spoiler

As I'm writing this after both fansigns today, this one is a little fuzzy in my memory, but I'll try my best to recall what happened. This time I drew seat number 64, but another fan fan, for reasons unknown to me, asked me if I wanted to swap with her for number 28, which of course I took. This meant I was on the third row and had a great view of everyone, particularly Umji who was on the same side. Unfortunately Sowon wasn't at this fansign. I'm not sure why but she wasn't at one last weekend either so maybe it has something to do with the new beauty program she's MCing. This was obviously a little disappointing, especially as she was one of the members I felt like I got along with best in Bundang, but of course I was still super hyped to meet the other 5 again.

SinB was first this time, and this was probably the most difficult conversation of the weekend. She remembered I was from England, but then said something else I couldn't understand. I tried to ask her to say it in Japanese instead as my Japanese is a bit better than my Korean, but she misunderstood and thought I said I was Japanese, which she was understandably confused by, and it spent the rest of the conversation to clear that up.

Yuju was next and again greeted me in English. She was eager to find out more about England and asked if I knew about the Royal Holloway university, as she has a friend studying there. Once again she was full of enthusiasm with everything she said, and her English was near fluent. Sometimes she struggled slightly to understand what I was saying, but I'd just repeat it slower and she'd be fine. We talked for a little while about England and then it was time to move on to Yerin.

I'd heard that Yerin was a fan of the anime One Piece, so I made sure to bring my One Piece shirt along to Korea, and was wearing it for today's fansigns. As I stood up to move to Yerin, Yuju noticed it and pointed it out to Yerin, so I thought I'd use that as a conversation starter and ask Yerin if she liked it. I didn't really understand much of her answer, but I think she said she was a big fan when she was 6 or 7 years old. Similarly to SinB's, the conversation somewhat trailed off here as we both struggled to understand one another, but she did seem slightly more confident than the day before.

Eunha was next up and was one of my favourite members to talk to in Bundang. The trend continued here as we somehow worked in perfect harmony to converse in some weird pseudo-Korean-English hybrid, until she accidentally started talking in Japanese (I totally get this there's so many times when I'm speaking a foreign language and I accidentally slip into a completely different one). This was fine though as I was able to tell her I spoke some Japanese and we added another language to our personal hybrid. I then told her her voice was adorable (in Korean) which she then repeated in English with the cutest accent whilst making a heart with her arms. Whenever I've had dreams involving Gfriend members Eunha has often been my best friend in them, and I'm really starting to see why.

Umji was last once again and instantly remembered I was English. It's worth saying at this point that during the conversation with SinB she'd stuck the post-it note with my name on a different page without me noticing, so I didn't know where it'd gone and had to tell the other members manually, which used up a bit of time. Once we'd got past the spelling though Umji dove into asking me about my holiday, how long I was staying and what I'd be doing. In particular I brought up Lotte World as I'm going there in a few days with a Korean friend from uni, and Umji warned me that it'd be very hot (no surprises given that the whole holiday has been like a sauna). She then gave me a hi-five and waved me off. Again Umji was so friendly and seemed genuinely interested in my experiences in Korea.

After my signing there was once again a lot of fun with presents, and this time it was Yuju's turn to take a tumble as she tripped head over heels over a box. Luckily she was fine and able to laugh it off, the box on the other hand had taken quite some damage, as Yerin was quick to show everybody. Eventually they said their goodbyes (Yerin was acting as leader in Sowon's absence and screwed up the lead-in to their goodbye) and it was time to head off to Ilsan for my final fansign.

Ilsan 180729:

Spoiler

The Yongsan fansign went a bit slower than the others, and as such finished at nearing 5:30. This was a problem, because I needed to get to Ilsan for the next one, which is about an hour and a half away by train. Luckily, I met some friendly k-buddies in the same predicament whilst running between stations, and they were able to call a taxi for us to share from the nearest station, arriving with about 3 minutes to spare. At the other two fansigns I hadn't spoken to any other buddies, but this time (drawing seat 67) I was in between two other i-fans who both spoke good English, one of which had been to several Gfriend fansigns before, so it was fun sharing our experiences, and left me feeling more confident once it was time to go up and speak to the group themselves.

Yuju was first like in Bundang, and once again was full of energy. I'd written nicknames on the post-its this time (rather than just their stage names previously) to signal which page to sign, and Yuju was impressed by my Hangul (even though my handwriting is awful). She then asked which part of England I was from. I responded just South-East of London and she said London was very pretty. I then told her that I'd been enjoying my stay in Korea and when she asked if it'd been a good experience I couldn't help but tell her the fansigns were the pinnacle of it. A hi-five later and it was on to SinB.

This began with her reading out the nickname I'd written for her (띤비/DdinB) in that adorable aegyo voice she does whenever she says that word. Someone previously had given her a wand which she'd been playing with, so I brought it up and told her she was Harry Potter, at which she seemed surprisingly flattered and a tad embarrassed. She once again confirmed I was English (not Japanese), and the enthusiasm from the first conversation was back, only this time we actually understood each other pretty well. I was very glad that finally I'd been able to properly connect with SinB as we'd struggled to communicate previously. Just before I moved on she told me goodbye until next time, when I had to say this was the last fansign I could go to. She made a sad face and waved goodbye which then turned into a hi-five (there were a lot of hi-fives in this one and to be honest I've somewhat lost track of who did and who didn't).

As I said goodbye to SinB, Yerin turned to her and exclaimed that I was cute, which she then repeated to me once I sat down in front of her. In case you're wondering, being called cute by your ultimate bias is just about the best thing that can happen to you. She then proceeded to sign my album whilst softly singing along to the music (the Sunny Summer album was playing on repeat in the background of all the fansigns). Hearing Yerin sing in person up close without a microphone or playback etc is also one of the best things that can happen. For real her voice is angelic and I had to tell her how beautiful she sounded. Afterwards the majority of our conversation was based around her frustration as my name post-it had lost its stickiness and wouldn't stick back onto the album despite her best efforts. I think maybe Yerin was spooked by me not speaking Korean well in the first fansign, but across the three she seemed to grow in confidence when speaking to me and at Ilsan she was back to her usual loud bubbly self. Again I told her it was my last fansign and she gave me a hi-five as I moved onto Umji.

Umji immediately recognised me, and only took a quick glance (if even that I'm not really sure) at the post-it to remember my name. I'd meant to say this to her earlier but had forgotten in the moment, but I said hi to Umji on behalf of my sister who I'm here with in Korea and who is Umji biased. Upon hearing this Umji was very shocked and surprised that she even knew about Gfriend, and asked for her name too to write alongside mine. Umji in all the fansigns was such a sweetie and this just put the cherry on top. Honestly I don't know if I've ever met a kinder person, and she was always one of the members I looked forward to speaking to the most.

Next up was Sowon, who I was looking forward to speaking to having missed out in Yongsan. She immediately recognised me from Bundang, although it took a little while to get that across because she said tomorrow instead of yesterday. The rest of the conversation went surprisingly smoothly, mostly in Korean, and Umji's translations this time were not required. I told her that I'd missed her in Yongsan, and she promptly apologised and said the famous "So sad". Despite our language struggles I felt like I really got on well with Sowon in Bundang, and I was happy that this seemed to continue despite her being absent from Yongsan. Before this weekend I was a little worried as from reading other fanaccs Sowon sometimes seemed to come across a little awkward due to the language barrier, but throughout both our conversations we were always smiling and giggling to each other. Before I left she held her hand up for what I thought was a hi-five, but then she curled her fingers around mine and held my hand. I don't think I'll ever finish spazzing out over that.

Eunha was last this time, which I felt was fitting for the member I felt I'd connected with the most. Similarly to Umji, she didn't take long to say my name so I'm not sure if she fully remembered it or just read it very quickly. She also asked me to move the chair slightly as the last fan had knocked it sideways, and in doing so I accidentally whacked my hand against the table, at which she was quick to ask if I was ok. Seeing that I'd written Sexy Queen as her nickname she giggled and thanked me. I told her this would be my last fansign and we exchanged sad looks and whines. She then asked when I was going back to England, and I was able to tell her in a mix of all three (four if you count eyes XD) of our accumulated languages that first I'd be at their concert in Tokyo, which she seemed happy for. Ironically, despite being my new bezzie for the weekend, I think Eunha was the only one I didn't get a hi-five from, although I did somewhat lose track so maybe I did and just can't remember.

Overall if you're ever in Korea and wondering if it's really worth the amount of money you have to pour into these fansigns (I bought 50 albums in total, 25 for Bundang, 15 for Yongsan and 10 for Ilsan), I would say it's a resounding yes. Also don't forget you can still sell the albums on later to help heal the hole in your wallet. Fansigns were the main reason I came to Korea, although for cost reasons I had to book the flights long before the announcement of Sunny Summer and ended up getting super lucky with the timing. There's nothing quite like meeting your idols in person, and while it can be daunting at first, by the end of the weekend it felt like I was talking to a group a friends, rather than celebrities. It took a different amount of time to get this effect with each individual member, and for that I would highly recommend attending multiple fansigns if you can, although if you can only afford one it's still totally worth it. All six of the girls were so lovely and really helped me feel at ease chatting with them, and each had their own individual flavour. Even though I only spoke to each member for about 3-4 minutes I feel like I know them so much more than I could ever achieve just by watching performances and variety shows, and my already high estimations of their character has sky-rocketed. As for the language barrier, I recommend learning basic Korean, but even still as the weekend went on it seemed to become less of a problem even for those who spoke less English, as we found ways to work around that. I hope you've enjoyed reading my account as much as I've enjoyed writing it and sharing what's been an incredible experience.

Edited by Gwoxenox

Hello,buddy ...where is the exact location of griend fan sign at bundang today?...thanks in advance buddy😊😊😊

Edited by Eunhakhen

16 hours ago, Eunhakhen said:

Hello,buddy ...where is the exact location of griend fan sign at bundang today?...thanks in advance buddy😊😊😊

It was at Pangyo Techno Valley. Seemed like a weird place for a fansign but hey. Sorry for not replying beforehand I hadn't had a chance to check in between running around Seoul trying to buy fansign tickets for tomorrow before today's started.

It is amazing you shared your own experience from the fansign.  Imagining it, it feels trembling but so much fun! Your conversation with members are sweet. I agree they talk to fans like a close friend more likely your best friend. Sowon must be intrigues in your height hahaha I love the way she ask help from Umji again that was so cute! Overall, I enjoyed reading your fan account story 😄

I want to ask if you don't mind. Can you tell about your shirt color so we can search you in every KBuddy fancams haha 

3 hours ago, Buddies_art said:

It is amazing you shared your own experience from the fansign.  Imagining it, it feels trembling but so much fun! Your conversation with members are sweet. I agree they talk to fans like a close friend more likely your best friend. Sowon must be intrigues in your height hahaha I love the way she ask help from Umji again that was so cute! Overall, I enjoyed reading your fan account story 😄

I want to ask if you don't mind. Can you tell about your shirt color so we can search you in every KBuddy fancams haha 

I'm glad you enjoyed. I'll update the post for the other two fansigns in a sec. For the Bundang one I was wearing a purple shirt then the other two I had a white One Piece shirt on. I haven't had a chance to check many fancams yet but I should be pretty recognisable as the only white guy there if I'm in any.

It was nice reading your fansign experiences!! I was at the Yongsan fansign too and I was number 30 so I saw you there! What a small world