Green flower leaf

I- buddies and K-buddies

17 posts in this topic

Hello, 

So I recently started liking BTS and what surprised me was the relationship between their international fans and Korean fans. They get along well and even call each other I-lovelies and K-diamonds. this surprised me because the relationship between international fans and Korean fans in Kpop have been rocky. 

I wondered, How are I-buddies and K-buddies with each other? I'm  new in the fandom, so I still don't know everything about the fandom. Also is it possible for us to make our relationship stronger? We are called buddies after all. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an I-Buddy, I honestly do not know how the relationship is between us. I do know that the BTS fandom are pretty close with each other and to be quite honest, I don't know a single Korean Buddy since I'm so isolated over here in the States. Anything is possible if you try to reach that goal. I wouldn't mind seeing Korean and International Buddies being closer.

4

knIKYSW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a whole, I can't say...But from what I hear, K-Buddies respect I-Buddies. In our experience here at GFS, we were fortunate enough to befriend K-Buddies from DC INSIDE GFRIEND GALLERY. Their projects for GFRIEND are truly top-notch. :) We were honored to have been a part of their GFRIEND 2nd Anniversary Project back in January 2017, and since then we have remained friends. They support us and we support them. 

One of the K-Buddies ( @skysky0520 ) translated our entire site in Korean and continues to help us. Others like @YujuHeroes and @Elliote(소원의정다움²) play major roles whenever we do projects for the girls. All of them, by the way, are also GFS staff members. :D We enjoy these experiences and have learned a lot from them. They work hard and are kind towards I-Buddies. I can't tell you enough how thankful and humble we are for their love and support.

We'd like very much to build on this special relationship between K-Buddies and I-Buddies. It's not only good for the fandom and GFRIEND, but it is a wonderful thing to connect with other people who share a common interest.

:gfs-smilie-buddies: :gfs-smilie-hwaiting:

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite thread when Kbuddies are being mentioned.. ^^ 

 

also this one when sowon mentioned GFS during mwave haha kbuddies were like we know them too..

 

 

3

pTexBdT.gifdo2VPg3.gif

새롭게 시작해 볼래 그리고                우릴 아프게 했던 시간들은 다시는 없을 거야 ~ 

 Let’s start fresh, you and me                 Times that hurt us will never come back again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an I-buddy i noticed that,the bond between k and I buddies are not bad.They(we) actually helped each other for gfriend to achieve something,like being tandem.


Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the very least there is no bad blood, from what I know. That might also be because Gfriend has a relatively small fandom (compared to other big names in Kpop) so there are less toxic fans. 

It seems like K-buddies and I-buddies don't really interact except when working for a goal (streaming/pressing hearts) or on a joint project. It makes sense though, because there is a language gap and we can't expect everyone to suddenly start learning languages left and right so that we can become closer. I would like for K-buddies and I-buddies to become closer, although I don't know if (or how) that will happen. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too don't know how this all works. As an I-Buddy, I am isolated to Seattle. All my interactions with K-Buddies have been either here or Gfriend's facebook pages. I am actually new to the whole Kpop scene, 4 years. Meaning, I never really followed a group as I do with Gfriend.

To me the Kpop industry is very interesting because there has been a divide between Korean fans and Internationals. This I really do not understand. Does there really need to be a divide? No. Music connects everyone to each other no matter where you're at in the world. I come from a totally different music scene and a few of my favourite bands come from Korea. In this scene(Hardcore), there is no distinction between who's who.  The band members in Noeazy appreciate the fact that I visit their page. I really hope that the fandoms of any Kpop group can get a long.

My cousin-in-law's girlfriend is a K-Buddy living here in the states. That's my one personal K-Buddy connection. This is how I see it. What makes the girls happy? Who makes the girls happy? Buddy. We should follow their lead. They are very thankful that  "we have gone to them". I-Buddies and K-Buddies, all. So we should treat each other the same, even if we can only communicate via this awesome site or the facebook pages dedicated to the girls. That's how I ended up here.

I actually am in a group from Italy called Gfriend Buddies. The adim. was actually in the group of Buddies in the group photo with the girls outside the Florian in Friends in the Adriactic Sea. In the photo on the show, he's the Buddy in blue in front of Yerin. There are K-Buddies in the group and they're awesome. We support each other. When they reply in Hangul, they translate it. I depend on those groups and everyone here because this is the only way that I'm connected.

The girls are happy when that get replies on their Vlive from I-Buddies. Again, let's treat each the same. Mahalo to the K-Buddies that put in the time and effort to bring the girls to us. Without them I never would have the opportunities to fall for these girls. We know each member through the efforts of the staff here at GFsquad.com.

Apologies if I may seem long winded but as an I-Buddy from another music scene, I've never understood the divide. This topic/thread has touched upon things that I was afraid to ask for fear of offended any Buddy.

Mahalo(thank you) I-Buddies and K-Buddies for letting me be apart of something I can truly support and believe in. From the KVHC, Gfriend everyday!!!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the girls are going to debut in Japan, will there also be j-buddies along with k-buddies and i-buddies? Or are they still just all i-buddies?

0

I am good at making puppy noises - Eunha @ 18:15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, strawberry_an_banana said:

Now that the girls are going to debut in Japan, will there also be j-buddies along with k-buddies and i-buddies? Or are they still just all i-buddies?

So hard to reach j-buddies.. but I have some mutual on twitter and they are umji stans haha

0

pTexBdT.gifdo2VPg3.gif

새롭게 시작해 볼래 그리고                우릴 아프게 했던 시간들은 다시는 없을 거야 ~ 

 Let’s start fresh, you and me                 Times that hurt us will never come back again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2018 at 6:42 PM, strawberry_an_banana said:

Now that the girls are going to debut in Japan, will there also be j-buddies along with k-buddies and i-buddies? Or are they still just all i-buddies?

Good question. Personally I'd say I-Buddies. Then again I think it's safe to say something like "I'm a J-Buddy, Filipino(Pinoy), US, Canadian, Indonesian, Thai or European Buddy, etc". It let's other Buddies know where you are and it tells all of us how we are actually connected to the girls. We're Buddies. Seen?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4-5-2018 at 3:42 AM, strawberry_an_banana said:

Now that the girls are going to debut in Japan, will there also be j-buddies along with k-buddies and i-buddies? Or are they still just all i-buddies?

From what I observed, they have their own name in the K-pop fandom in general. So i have a feeling that whether they like it or not, other fans will classify them as J-buddies anyway. that's so nice to have japanese friends on twitter. I wonder if Umji's popularity is going to soar in Japan because of popteen. 

On 3-5-2018 at 2:12 PM, Fayfay said:

At the very least there is no bad blood, from what I know. That might also be because Gfriend has a relatively small fandom (compared to other big names in Kpop) so there are less toxic fans. 

It seems like K-buddies and I-buddies don't really interact except when working for a goal (streaming/pressing hearts) or on a joint project. It makes sense though, because there is a language gap and we can't expect everyone to suddenly start learning languages left and right so that we can become closer. I would like for K-buddies and I-buddies to become closer, although I don't know if (or how) that will happen. 

That's a good question. How can we bring K-buddies and I-buddies together? hhhm, maybe instead of communicating through language, we can send GFRIEND gifts/meme/pictures to each other. that would be a funny chat lol. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hello Buddies, a @GFSquadSubs translator here- (Please DO follow us if you haven't already :D and meet some quality subbed GFRIEND videos from the team!)

As a Korean & K-Buddy myself, helping to establish a strong relationship between Buddies (K-Buddy & I-Buddy in particular) is one of THE MOST important mission for me (Another being 'Helping I-Buddies get to know more about GFRIEND, which I believe could be realized by being a part of @GFSquadSubs and trying to translate as many contents as possible).

Though I can't speak for all the K-Buddies, I believe K-Buddies in general would love to appreciate all the I-Buddies and are interested in establishing a nice connection with Buddies overseas. Many are also aware of international GFRIEND fan communities such as GFSquad.com. The biggest issue here is obviously the language barrier. A Relationship begins by communicating, and language barrier is something that is not so easy to address in the short term. Perhaps as OP mentioned, the case of BTS might be a nice reference for us. I can only guess that, from the sheer size of A.R.M.Y it is more likely to find someone who has the enough skillset (English for the most part) to help be a bridge for the fans from all around the world. Soshified is like that too in terms of size, but realistically not all Kpop fandoms are as big as that of SNSD or BTS as of today.

In fact, I've been thinking of a way to help I-Buddies understand how K-Buddies appreciate all the Buddies around the world, and vice versa. As mentioned in this thread, while @GFSquadSubs videos could help connect 'GFRIEND and I-Buddies', you can imagine that connecting 'K-Buddies and I-Buddies' is a slightly different matter. But don't get me wrong, by saying "different", it doesn't mean that those two are separate. In the broader point of view those two type of relationships are in the same boat.

With all that said, I also would like to hear from Buddies in GFSquad.com about how I could be of help. One of my idea was to open up an AMA thread where I can leave some answers to some of the stuffs I-Buddies could be curious about K-Buddies. Unfortunately there's a limit to my free time & plus I would have to be careful with this since I don't have any authority whatsoever or anything even close to it to represent the K-Buddy as a whole.

Please share your thoughts on the topics above, and I will try follow them as much as I could! Thank you!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elliote(소원의정다움²) said:


Hello Buddies, a @GFSquadSubs translator here- (Please DO follow us if you haven't already :D and meet some quality subbed GFRIEND videos from the team!)

As a Korean & K-Buddy myself, helping to establish a strong relationship between Buddies (K-Buddy & I-Buddy in particular) is one of THE MOST important mission for me (Another being 'Helping I-Buddies get to know more about GFRIEND, which I believe could be realized by being a part of @GFSquadSubs and trying to translate as many contents as possible).

Though I can't speak for all the K-Buddies, I believe K-Buddies in general would love to appreciate all the I-Buddies and are interested in establishing a nice connection with Buddies overseas. Many are also aware of international GFRIEND fan communities such as GFSquad.com. The biggest issue here is obviously the language barrier. A Relationship begins by communicating, and language barrier is something that is not so easy to address in the short term. Perhaps as OP mentioned, the case of BTS might be a nice reference for us. I can only guess that, from the sheer size of A.R.M.Y it is more likely to find someone who has the enough skillset (English for the most part) to help be a bridge for the fans from all around the world. Soshified is like that too in terms of size, but realistically not all Kpop fandoms are as big as that of SNSD or BTS as of today.

In fact, I've been thinking of a way to help I-Buddies understand how K-Buddies appreciate all the Buddies around the world, and vice versa. As mentioned in this thread, while @GFSquadSubs videos could help connect 'GFRIEND and I-Buddies', you can imagine that connecting 'K-Buddies and I-Buddies' is a slightly different matter. But don't get me wrong, by saying "different", it doesn't mean that those two are separate. In the broader point of view those two type of relationships are in the same boat.

With all that said, I also would like to hear from Buddies in GFSquad.com about how I could be of help. One of my idea was to open up an AMA thread where I can leave some answers to some of the stuffs I-Buddies could be curious about K-Buddies. Unfortunately there's a limit to my free time & plus I would have to be careful with this since I don't have any authority whatsoever or anything even close to it to represent the K-Buddy as a whole.

Please share your thoughts on the topics above, and I will try follow them as much as I could! Thank you!

Hello K-buddy! I'm willing to help K-buddies there with donation for streaming passes so that K-buddies won't have a struggle to purchase streaming passes for Korean music sites. This proposed project intended to make TFTMN last for long (longevity) in the chart. Here I make a thread: 

Let us know if you can be the moderator/coordinator for the donation project?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello K-buddy! I'm willing to help K-buddies there with donation for streaming passes so that K-buddies won't have a struggle to purchase streaming passes for Korean music sites. This proposed project intended to make TFTMN last for long (longevity) in the chart. Here I make a thread: 
[/url] Let us know if you can be the moderator/coordinator for the donation project?
 


Hello! First all of thank you for your passion. However I'm afraid I won't have enough knowledge nor the time to take care of the project myself. I will first try consult with someone who does. There should be many things that must be considered and organised beforehand. (And I'm pretty sure other fandoms who run such projects have gone through countless steps to get it running properly).

I can't list them all right now so I will have to come back later with all things considered. I will leave a post on your thread about the result of my consulting. Thank you :)


Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elliote(소원의정다움²) said:

 


Hello! First all of thank you for your passion. However I'm afraid I won't have enough knowledge nor the time to take care of the project myself. I will first try consult with someone who does. There should be many things that must be considered and organised beforehand. (And I'm pretty sure other fandoms who run such projects have gone through countless steps to get it running properly).

I can't list them all right now so I will have to come back later with all things considered. I will leave a post on your thread about the result of my consulting. Thank you :)


Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app

 

Thank you Elliote. Please let us know after you discuss with other K-buddies. Looking forward for your reply!

I hope K-buddies can organize and cooperate with International Buddies! By doing this way, we can make the bond between K-buddies and International buddies stronger!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 7:44 PM, Elliote(소원의정다움²) said:

With all that said, I also would like to hear from Buddies in GFSquad.com about how I could be of help. One of my idea was to open up an AMA thread where I can leave some answers to some of the stuffs I-Buddies could be curious about K-Buddies. Unfortunately there's a limit to my free time & plus I would have to be careful with this since I don't have any authority whatsoever or anything even close to it to represent the K-Buddy as a whole.

Please share your thoughts on the topics above, and I will try follow them as much as I could! Thank you!

I'm not very involved in fandom activities, but from what I've observed, one of the biggest causes for hostility or a bad relationship between I-fans and K-fans is a difference in culture. I think that both I-Buddies and K-Buddies should be aware of the cultural differences and be accepting and respecting of them.

One obvious difference is that, for example, to most Korean fans, aegyo might be more important for an idol to have, but for most International fans, it might be seen as cringy or unnecessary. In such cases, agreeing to disagree is the best decision instead of getting into a verbal war about who is right. It's not a big deal, and besides, not every member will abstain from aegyo just like how not every member will be doing aegyo very often or at all. 

In addition, since there will always be trolls, fake fans, and bigots, both K-Buddies and I-Buddies should learn to ignore it if someone (especially if it was just one person) said something racist or rude towards the fans. We should write these kinds of people off as a abnormal encounter with someone especially butt-headed and move on. Generalizing any group of people based off of one or two individuals won't help bring K-Buddies and I-Buddies together. 

Preventing fights like this through awareness of cultural differences is very important in keeping peace and also bringing the two groups of Buddies together. 

As for ways to actually bring K-Buddies and I-Buddies together, I think it might be a good idea for there to be a chatroom or forum of sorts where both Korean and International fans will be active. In such case, we should only encourage the use of two languages; Korean and English to make sure that people don't get too confused. There could also be sub-chats/forums in which there could be chats using Korean-French, Korean-Chinese, etc. We can see this as a way to develop a tighter bond between fans and also an opportunity to learn a new language. Those who are bilingual (and willing) can translate for those who are unable to understand. 

I understand my idea will be hard to carry out and might not go as smoothly as I am imagining it, so please only entertain the idea. Also, please don't feel burdened or responsible for carrying this idea out. You are, after all, just one person with more important commitments. (This message is not only for Elliote, but also for anyone else that is reading.) Thank you for reading! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not very involved in fandom activities, but from what I've observed, one of the biggest causes for hostility or a bad relationship between I-fans and K-fans is a difference in culture. I think that both I-Buddies and K-Buddies should be aware of the cultural differences and be accepting and respecting of them.
One obvious difference is that, for example, to most Korean fans, aegyo might be more important for an idol to have, but for most International fans, it might be seen as cringy or unnecessary. In such cases, agreeing to disagree is the best decision instead of getting into a verbal war about who is right. It's not a big deal, and besides, not every member will abstain from aegyo just like how not every member will be doing aegyo very often or at all. 
In addition, since there will always be trolls, fake fans, and bigots, both K-Buddies and I-Buddies should learn to ignore it if someone (especially if it was just one person) said something racist or rude towards the fans. We should write these kinds of people off as a abnormal encounter with someone especially butt-headed and move on. Generalizing any group of people based off of one or two individuals won't help bring K-Buddies and I-Buddies together. 
Preventing fights like this through awareness of cultural differences is very important in keeping peace and also bringing the two groups of Buddies together. 
As for ways to actually bring K-Buddies and I-Buddies together, I think it might be a good idea for there to be a chatroom or forum of sorts where both Korean and International fans will be active. In such case, we should only encourage the use of two languages; Korean and English to make sure that people don't get too confused. There could also be sub-chats/forums in which there could be chats using Korean-French, Korean-Chinese, etc. We can see this as a way to develop a tighter bond between fans and also an opportunity to learn a new language. Those who are bilingual (and willing) can translate for those who are unable to understand. 
I understand my idea will be hard to carry out and might not go as smoothly as I am imagining it, so please only entertain the idea. Also, please don't feel burdened or responsible for carrying this idea out. You are, after all, just one person with more important commitments. (This message is not only for Elliote, but also for anyone else that is reading.) Thank you for reading! 


We have a World Peace Sub forum here where people from different countries gathered and we also have some kbuddies here.. Some might just lurking bcs of language barriers but those who can speak english are being active here..

KBuddies can freely access gfs since this site is automatically translated in korean for those who have korean IPs ^^


Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app
1

pTexBdT.gifdo2VPg3.gif

새롭게 시작해 볼래 그리고                우릴 아프게 했던 시간들은 다시는 없을 거야 ~ 

 Let’s start fresh, you and me                 Times that hurt us will never come back again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now