Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Albatro

interview
[Translation | OSEN] (Interview) Why GFRIEND is Singing 'Summer Rain' in Autumn

1 post in this topic

0003619555_001_20170915104159089.jpg?type=w430_q70

[OSEN=Seon Mi-kyung Reporter]

Why did girlgroup GFRIEND come back with 'Summer Rain' in early autumn.

GFRIEND focused on innocence this time. Alongside their usual well-structured performances, GFRIEND is emphasizing more of the other emotions this time, drawing out their new legacy. It's an innocent yet sentimental song, fitting for the early autumn season.

GFRIEND released their first ever repackage album 'RAINBOW' on the 13th, kicking off their promotions with the title song 'Summer Rain.' If they lit up the summer with the PowerUp Innocence 'Love Whisper,' they are now targeting autumn emotions with 'Summer Rain,' focusing on innocent emotions. They have been having continued success, following 'Love Whisper.'

GFRIEND met with OSEN to share their feelings about receiving positive public reactions after making a speedy comeback. Umji thanked the fans, saying: "We promoted with 'Love Whisper' and then immediately came back with 'Summer Rain.' Both songs have been receiving lots of love and interest, so we thought we should work hard during this promotion, using the love we received as a motivator."

Sowon then added: "'Summer Rain' wasn't a new song we received, we actually had the song for a while. It was originally intended to be used as a repackage title song ever since then. It was a song with the title spot in mind, and we thought it was very title-like as well."

By looking at the song name, listeners may think that GFRIEND's new song 'Summer Rain' is a song composed for summer. No doubt it's a good song to listen in the summer, but its autumn emotions go well with the recent cool weather. More importantly, focusing on the lyrics while listening will help the listeners understand the name 'Summer Rain.'

Yuju explained: "I saw comments saying: 'Why is the song name 'Summer Rain' when it's autumn?' It's because this song's setting is set in autumn, reminiscing of the past summer. There are many reactions questioning the choice of the season purely based on the song name, but it's actually such a perfect name. All of the lyrics in the chorus are in past tense. We hope that listeners can listen carefully to the lyrics as well."

"Like the pouring Summer Rain, Perhaps everyone had love that abruptly came to them"
"So much that they couldn't sleep to the sound of rainYou were like that to me"
"Our days were brightly shining, I was thankful, like the clear Summer Rain"
"It was so beautiful, like a single ray of rain, Our transparent story"

Sowon added: "I think the lyrics of 'Summer Rain' is something that many can relate to. This time we came back with 'Innocent Emotions,' slightly toning down our 'Power' and upgrading our 'Innocence' and 'Emotions.'

The supplementary song 'Rainbow' is another song cherished by GFRIEND. Members shared an episode, stating: "Just like how the rainbow shines after the rain stops, the song contains messages about how there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel. We received the guide version for 'Rainbow' in a foreign language. It had a much different feel compared to the current version. Because of the rock genre, it felt a bit too powerful, but now we think that it's a side track that fits well in this album."

From 'Power Innocence' to 'PowerUp Innocence,' and then to 'Innocent Emotions,' GFRIEND is continuing to expand their variations in style. They are steadily establishing their unique nostalgic and sentimental worldview, while continuing their storytelling with new variations. More the reason to look forward to the next chapter of their story.

/seon@osen.co.kr
[Photo] Source Music
59bd1c00507b1_ScreenShot2017-09-16at8_41_21AM.png.08b575697db001ff5fa742d54db8b3ef.png

Comments:

+ 91, - 7
Thank you always for the pretty articles~ GFRIEND Summer Rain fighting~♥♥♥

+ 74, - 5
Summer Rain is so good~ It's like I get into a sentimental mood whenever I listen to it.. I'm excited for their upcoming stages

+ 62, - 5
GFRIEND's unique emotions in Summer Rain❤️❤️❤️

+ 60, - 5
I like the emotional lyrics and GFRIEND's unique sentiments

+ 56, - 5
GFRIEND Summer Rain

Source: Naver TVEntertainment
Translated by Albatro

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"