Shadownet

Some Tips if You Plan on Visiting Korea EVER

3 posts in this topic

1. Don't go. LOL. Go to Europe or Mexico or something instead. I'm kidding. It's great, but it's not as hyped as people make it. 

2. If you insist on going, then bring a face mask. Who cares if you look silly? Everyone over there does it so to them, it's normal!
- Smog from China makes it hard to breathe and your life span will probbbbaaaaally be reduced by 5 years or so.
- People smoke. Everywhere. Nearly everyone smokes, so add cigarette smoke on top of pollution from China, it's no wonder people don't die right away from lung cancer.

3. Bring money. Lots of it. Most of it will be spent on food since you have to eat out pretty much 3 times a day for as long as you're there.

4. It's going to be butt-ass hot over there in the summer and butt-ass cold in the winter; it is worse than Vancouver. Bring clothing appropriately according to season.

5. Everything has something related to meat; even the soups are pork or beef broth. If you're a vegetarian or vegan, then Korea DEFINITELY isn't the place to go to. You'll pretty much starve and hate yourself for eating fruits and veggies while everyone else is enjoying delicious samgyupsal and pork bone soup and all that good stuff. You can ask for vegetarian options, but they'll look at you weird and probably roast you relentlessly with their coworkers in the kitchen, laughing their butts off at this "waegook" who doesn't eat meat. Don't be that person.

6. Don't try to jaywalk. You'll get run over without a second thought. Korean traffic is "every person for themselves." Pedestrians are last priority. Obey ALL traffic signs; don't try to impress that Korean girl you meat at a bar by jaywalking across EIGHT lanes of traffic. You gun die. Seriously. Don't.

7. If you plan on renting a car to get around Seoul or travel to other cities, don't. You'll be better off taking public transit even if you are a good driver; Canadian traffic and Korean traffic are TOTALLY different, with the latter being worse.

8. Prepare for a huge culture shock over there. About everything and anything. Don't be too surprised when people don't hold doors open for you or say sorry to you if they step on your foot on the subway. They don't care. They won't care. They don't have TIME to care.

9. Have fun. Walking around is faster than driving around. Eat all the food you can find and regret it later when you come back.

FEZ4zS.gif "Fall down eight times, get up nine." 

"Вся слава Тому, Кто искупил жизнь мою"

10. Be prepared to get stared at. Because apparently they haven't seen a Korean American before.

11. When shopping, especially for food, look for 1+1 items.

12. Go economical. You'll regret it if you spend a lot of money. (If you're on a tight budget)

13. If you're going to use public transit, I highly recommend having some sort of transit credit card. T-Money is the name of the mainstream transit credit card.

14. Go to like museums and stuff man, they're really nice.

15. Foreign fast food restaraunts are actually pretty limited, but pretty good.

16. WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE THE RED BUS OR THE BUS THAT SAYS M ON IT. IT'S HELLA EXPENSIVE AND YOUR WALLET IS GOING TO CRY AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE BECAUSE THE BUS MOVES SO FAST HOLY SH-

16.5. Oh yeah, did I mention those buses have a few stops? It's like an express bus.

17. Oh right. Curfew. Set a curfew for yourself, because nights can get pretty scary unless you're Batman. Or Takumi. ( - EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES - )

18. Some points of interest is Gwanghwamun, Dongdaemun, Digital Media City...

19. Post a derpy picture of you in front of Source Music, if you can.

20. Subway: When you hear the two words 급행, please ride them at your own risk. The lines that have a Rapid Train are Lines 1, 4, 9. And please, what ever you do, think before riding a train, because you want to go to Anyang, but the train turns to Incheon instead. So look where the train's going and you're set. 

21. Seoul is a city. City has lots people, therefore there exists a rush hour. If you are so claustrophobic, please do not go during those times.

22. The rest is just a learning experience, so try and get to know some people.

23. Line 2 subway has only 2 trains, 외부순환 and 내부순환. One goes clockwise, other goes counter.

So beautiful, like a stream of rain water, our transparent story...

ezgif.com-crop.gif.5dd0988a7301cbcff9b8c7650b4e37b3.gif

GFRIEND

25 minutes ago, Yunaverse said:

- People smoke. Everywhere. Nearly everyone smokes, so add cigarette smoke on top of pollution from China, it's no wonder people don't die right away from lung cancer.

I'm a smoker myself and from watching Korean movies one would think you can just light up anywhere but that was not the case. Most public places I went to had "No Smoking" signs posted. There were times that I had difficulty finding the designated smoking area so I decided to just wing it and smoke in a corner. I spent most of my time in Seoul though so I don't know if it's the same in other areas.