Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moonlight Chingu

mega thread
Do you think SoMu knows what he is doing?

12 posts in this topic

Last time, when SoMu released Fingertip's teasers, the comeback itself was in two weeks time.Even then, half of my friends who were Buddies as well,barely knew about their CB.

Now, GFrend is coming back the same time as Exo which is no joke.Shouldn't SoMu at least start media playing and set the date?

You know, last year, they did the things and So Sung Jin won "Best management" award for GFriend.But he didn't win it this year.

I'm really worried.I hope he hasn't lost interest/hope for GFriend...

6b22e9e57698cc24354f70f407a745f63a2d6ec3

1 hour ago, adabella100 said:

Last time, when SoMu released Fingertip's teasers, the comeback itself was in two weeks time.Even then, half of my friends who were Buddies as well,barely knew about their CB.

Now, GFrend is coming back the same time as Exo which is no joke.Shouldn't SoMu at least start media playing and set the date?

You know, last year, they did the things and So Sung Jin won "Best management" award for GFriend.But he didn't win it this year.

Apologies if I sound harsh but I'm gonna be blunt. 

No. He ain't crazy. GFriend is the only talent he has under his agency and if he loses interest in that, then he's screwed. He can't afford to screw up yet. Or st all. GFriend is doing well and will be for the next 5-10 years. 

Just because they don't release teasers doesn't mean anything. They didn't even confirm a comeback yet! People are spreading rumours that may or may not be true and jumping to conclusions so fast. 

Everyone calm the heck down please. 

FEZ4zS.gif "Fall down eight times, get up nine." 

"Вся слава Тому, Кто искупил жизнь мою"

they filmed the mv 4 days ago, I see fans expecting them to release the teasers the day after. how can they do that?

we know they are coming back, we just don't know the date if it's in 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. we have to wait for when they have the things ready.

1 hour ago, Yunaverse said:

No. He ain't crazy. GFriend is the only talent he has under his agency and if he loses interest in that, then he's screwed. He can't afford to screw up yet. Or st all. GFriend is doing well and will be for the next 5-10 years. 

Just because they don't release teasers doesn't mean anything. They didn't even confirm a comeback yet! People are spreading rumours that may or may not be true and jumping to conclusions so fast. 

agreed

16 hours ago, Yunaverse said:

No, its okay.I expected others being blunt while i was making this thread.I guess i just needed the comfort, you know.If you remember, when GFriend were about to release LOL, they went to a lot of magazines and everything.I was just worried.Sorry if i offended you.

6b22e9e57698cc24354f70f407a745f63a2d6ec3

This thread was made on the same day the teasers were released, how ironic LOL

But you do have a point with one thing which I think this is SUPER important to address.

On 2017-07-19 at 10:57 AM, adabella100 said:

Last time, when SoMu released Fingertip's teasers, the comeback itself was in two weeks time. Even then, half of my friends who were Buddies as well,barely knew about their CB.

I know a fellow Buddy who pretty much said the exact same thing. SouMu has been fairly good to our girls overall but honestly, this in particular is REALLY bad management and promotion wise on SouMu's part. I think Fingertip would have done better if SouMu had promoted them more before the comeback. When even fans aren't aware that their faves are coming back then that's a huge sign that they're doing something wrong.

Edited by Rex

pqRPMwl.jpg

17 hours ago, adabella100 said:

No, its okay.I expected others being blunt while i was making this thread.I guess i just needed the comfort, you know.If you remember, when GFriend were about to release LOL, they went to a lot of magazines and everything.I was just worried.Sorry if i offended you.

You didn't offend me. 

I just don't like it when people expect Source Music to operate like one of the Big Threes. The fact of the matter is, Source Music is barely five years old and people already have huge expectations on their management skills. 

Can they do better? Sure! Of course they can! That's how small companies become successful, but to put that burden of "you should start operating like JYP or SM right about now" is pretty much like expecting a 3-year old child to start speaking comprehensible sentences. It's a lot of people I know.

Fingertip was pretty badly promoted. I agree with Rex; it could have been better. Weird how fans didn't know about it; I knew they were going to come back before they even announced it. 

3 minutes ago, Rex said:

This thread was released on the same day the teasers were released, how ironic LOL

But you do have a point with one thing which I think this is SUPER important to address.

I know a fellow Buddy who pretty much said the exact same thing. SouMu has been fairly good to our girls overall but honestly, this in particular is REALLY bad management and promotion wise on SouMu's part. Honestly, I think Fingertip would have done better if SouMu had promoted them more before the comeback. When even fans aren't aware that their faves are coming back then that's a sign that they really, REALLY need to step up their promotions game.

I agree. It was pretty badly promoted but it still did relatively well commercially; it was the most purchased album by GFriend, I believe? It DID seem rushed and hastily put together but nonetheless, they still killed it.

Mind you, they're still a small company. I checked out their HQ and they don't even have their own building; they share a building with a restaurant, a 7-11, and a small office (perhaps theirs?)

I never got to look inside (sad face) but I assume the interior isn't that cozy with lots of space either.

I think SouMu is planning for Gfriend to comeback with more popular groups like Twice, Rv, Exo, Snsd etc. for more fans and audiences in music shows. But well they focused outside of SK in the first half of the year. I hope they focus now on SK to be the new summer queen. 

Edited by Gfriend=Slay

I may be very VERY odd in this but I think I like SouMu's move on this CB!!!:]

On 7/20/2017 at 0:57 AM, adabella100 said:

I think he knows what he's doing. 

keep in mind that SouMu is a small company. I'm sure their budget for every Gfriend's comeback is limited compared to other bigger companies. lets say they've spent a huge portion for production cost (composing, lyrics, recording, choreography, MV and even style/costumes), this means portion for promotion could be smaller. while doing media play/promoting on various media is surely cost a lot of money and efforts (connections, lobbying, etc). something that considered hard for small companies..

this is my personal opinion. I think SouMu is now targeting mostly for fans (Buddy), not for general public anymore. so it makes sense if they didn't do excessive media play. just utilizing social media is enough. since most of fans are followers or subscribers of their official accounts. with this method, we can't expect extraordinary digital sales, but we can still expect improvement on physical sales. just like fingertip era.

so, media play is not the only key for success. but how strong fandom is, and how well the artist (and company) communicate with them.

and as far as I know, Gfriend is still considered as top 5 GG in this generation. so, don't worry about them. I'm sure they will be fine for years to come :)

lastly, this is only reminder to all Buddy, please subscribe to their official SNS accounts (Twitter, IG, Youtube, FB). and activate push notification. so when they post about teaser, trailer or any comeback info, you will find out instantly. 
you don't know how excited I am when received notification about PARALLEL yesterday :D

Last time, when SoMu released Fingertip's teasers, the comeback itself was in two weeks time.Even then, half of my friends who were Buddies as well,barely knew about their CB. Now, GFrend is coming back the same time as Exo which is no joke.Shouldn't SoMu at least start media playing and set the date?

Interesting that you should bring this up. This thought had popped in my mind a while now, that 'Did GFRIEND peak too fast?' and 'Are they simply riding on the success of MGT?' Not many 'non big 3' groups hit their peak at their second song.

But we realise that as So Sung Jin himself said, GFRIEND's success is just luck. (Watch The Boss Is Watching) We have to recalibrate our expectations that not every comeback can bring us 15, 14 wins.

Yes, EXO is a massive opponent, but any later and we would have to contend with SNSD and Super Junior.

Nonetheless, PARALLEL looks really promising!

Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app