Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
유주얼천사

Skateboard Buddies~ come hang here, brah!

2 posts in this topic

Does anyone here ride a skateboard? I'm a noobie myself, and I have yet to buy a skateboard, so I would like to hear from experienced riders as to how your experience is with skateboards... I have some few questions too.

• What should beginners ride to learn their skateboarding?
  • In the long run, plastic or wood?
  • How to take care of your skateboard, especially wooden ones?
  • Precautions?
  • How much did yours cost around?

So beautiful, like a stream of rain water, our transparent story...

ezgif.com-crop.gif.5dd0988a7301cbcff9b8c7650b4e37b3.gif

GFRIEND

Old school skater from Hawai'i, Brah. What's up? Okay, Never go with plastic. In the early days, we've already found that they definitely are not as good as wood. Plastic can get knicked up and that will hardly go away. Wood ia more flexible and you can do more with it because of it. So, in the long run, wood. Taking care of a board is easy. As long as you take care of the hardware: your trucks, wheels and barrens, you're good. Precautions, if you learn to ride an pool or ramp, pads: knee and elbow, a helmet. We never wore anything for the street. I was a street skater only, some jump ramps and quarter pipes. I just found that there was more to "shred" up.

Boards can range from $50 to 80 or more in US dollars. Completed boards cans range anywhere from $150 to 200 or a little more US dollars. After a while we ended up buying blank boards ranging anywhere from $24 to 50 US dollars depending on the wood. They are cheaper because they are not brand names but the quality is the same. The hardware is what will cost some money trucks barrings, wheels and grip tape. Independent Skateboard Trucks are always dependable, my fave, anywhere from $55 US dollars and up. Wheels, $20 or more US dollars. Wheel barrings, $8 to 20 or so US dollars. Grip tape, $5 to 10 Us dollars. Head to the local skate shop. Don't buy online. Talk to the guy that knows, the guy that can really help you, for reals. Once you hear "Well, I think..." be cautious they may not know what they're talking about.

You will also see some places selling plastic rails for the underside of the boards. They were used for carve on curbs, pvc lips on ramps, anything iron whatever you think you could do. Also for grabbing when doing airs and all that.

Okay, I know this is long winded, but I am an old school skater still, in my heart. I don't skate anymore, haven't skated since '87 due to a major knee injury. We used to have skate punk shows and skate sessions with Tony Hawk, Christian Hosoi, Mark Gonzales, Steve Caballero(favourite), Rodney Mullen etc. The whole Powell Peralta Crew, Vision Skates, Santa Cruz, etc. hanging out with us locals They used to come to my band's shows. Awesome times.

I hope this helps Buddy. It's always cool to see a skater wherever I'm at.