Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AznSeoul

[FANACC] Fingertip Comeback, Dear Buddy, Mwave Meet&Greet

4 posts in this topic

Hello Buddies! In this post I would like to share with you some of my experiences during the Fingertip Comeback. I was in Korea from March 6th, 2017 through April 4th, 2017. This would be my second time going to Korea specifically for a GFriend comeback. :y1:

I apologize for this post as it is quite lengthy! I separated each section so you can only read what you want to. :P

As always, feel free to ask any questions.

Enjoy :)

----

----My GFriend Schedule in Korea

Spoiler

170306: Awakening & Fingertip Release

170309 – M Countdown (Pre-rec & Fanmeet)

170310 - Music Bank (Pre-rec)

170311 - Music Core (Pre-rec) <Aired 170318*> + Ilsan Fansign

170312 – Inkigayo (Pre-rec)

170321 - SBS THE SHOW (Pre-rec & Live)

170322 – Show Champion (Pre-rec & Live)

170324 - Music Bank (Pre-rec) + Noryangjin Fansign

170325 - Music Core (Pre-rec)

170326 - Incheon Fansign

170330 - MWAVE MEET&GREET

170402 - Inkigayo (Pre-rec) & Dear Buddy

----170306: Awakening & Fingertip Release

Spoiler

Since Navillera, I had been eagerly anticipating GFriend’s comeback. That day finally came and I landed in Korea on album release day. As soon as I got onto the subway at Incheon airport, I put on my headphones and streamed Fingertip on YouTube for the first time. “Wow this is pretty different!” I thought to myself. I continued looping the Awakening album on my newly renewed Melon subscription through my train ride into Gangnam. From there, the waiting game began until music show announcements were made on the official Fancafe.

IMG_3188_zpscpfqvsmw.png

----170309 – M Countdown Comeback Stage

Spoiler

The day finally came, comeback stage for Fingertip! I knew it was going to be a crazy experience due to the 4am at the recording studio. Not wanting to have to wait so long, I took the final possible subway trip to Digital Media City. Along the way I had noticed somebody that I had recognized previously. He was definitely a K-Buddy. I had recognized him from previous comebacks, fansigns and on television as well. Upon arriving at DMC, I approached him and started talking to him hoping to strike a conversation. (I did not have many K-Buddy friends at the time.) Success, his English had been great and we ended up hanging out at a café until check in. (He is well known to K-Buddies and GFriend, known as Jin.) Upon check in we gathered with other Buddies including those from DCINSIDE GFRIEND GALLERY and I was introduced as a Buddy from Canada. It seems that I had been mistaken as @Jkyc from GFSquad staff who was scheduled to arrive at a later time. Anyhow the check-in was no different for this comeback. Your name had to be on the fancafe pre-registration list, you needed digital purchase printouts, both versions of the album, & your passport or Korean ID. There was no slogan banner given this comeback as the sticker event book was made into a banner instead. After the verification from Source Music staff all participants with the required items were presented with a “1순위 인증” sticker which allowed us to just bring our passport and the sticker event book for each music show check in.

KakaoTalk_20170704_014942744_zpsyrjmihwo

Fast forwarding to show time, we were lead into the CJ building by Source Music fanstaff. We were instructed to sit on the floor on the second level infront of the recording studio entrance. (This area is usually used for the Fan Meeting segment on M Countdown.) As this was GFriend’s comeback stage for Fingertip, many of the Buddies had their phones out frantically trying to memorize the fanchants to Fingertip. Fingertip’s fanchant is clearly the easiest of all of their songs however, we were not provided slogan banners with the fanchants on the back as we had during previous comebacks. At the same time we could also hear GFriend going through sound check which further motivated us. Soon enough we were called into the recording studio and filed in according to our registered numbers. Upon walking in, we were greeted to a stage matching the likeness of the Fingertip MV rooftop. Oh my goodness, it seemed like I was walking right into the MV set! I quickly found my spot in the studio trying to find the least obstructed view. Being #85 of almost 200, it was not the easiest task but also not the worst. Finally GFriend came on stage and the crowd cheered happily. The girls looked really gorgeous and Yerin with her blonde hair really caught my eye! Many buddies called out different member’s names and blurted out their love and support for them. GFriend definitely felt the love and gave their thanks. However it was time for them to take the stage and for us Buddies to witness Fingertip performed for the first time live! During the first few takes, Buddies were asked to remain quiet and not chant. From the third take on, it was the Buddies time to shine. As soon as the music started the Buddies went wild. Screaming commenced at the first tone and we all lost it from there. Flawless fanchants right from the beginning! Sadly Hear the Wind Sing would not pre-recorded and was only sung during the live taping.

----170309 – M Countdown Fan Meeting

Spoiler

The second event on my schedule for the day was GFriend’s live fan meeting for M Countdown. This again took place at the same building as the morning.  As it was now the afternoon, many other fandoms had lined up. Finding your fandom can be a little confusing you usually have to ask around or search for fans with GFriend cds or banners on them. (Source Music fanstaff always carry SouMu paper bags.) Maybe only a quarter of the morning crowd had showed up for GFriend’s fan meeting, so I was easily able to progress closer to the front of the line. Check in’s often included long periods of waiting, especially when lining up for the live recordings of shows.

IMG_3219_zpsywlf48xg.jpg

Luckily to pass the time M Countdown sent out the Produce 101 Boys (ALL OF THEM) to introduce themselves and to meet the fandoms. I had been lucky enough to meet Park Woo Jin and who had actually made it into the boy group formed at the conclusion of the show and receive a gift from him. We had been the last fandom to enter the venue as we would not be joining the rest of the crowd inside the recording studio. We would be part of the fan meeting just outside the studio doors.

IMG_3224_zpskp5xdfcz.png

I had been lucky enough to secure a front row position at the fan meeting just behind the host. (I think it was Key from SHINee?) GFriend were dressed in a very different stage outfit as they would be performing Hear the Wind Sing on the live taping. These outfits were somewhat pyjama –like and were very mystical to me.. LOL. Honestly I don’t remember much from this experience because we had been staring at GFriend’s back for a majority of the time. However, I was able to attain a high five from Sowon while she was greeting us. J It was only a short period of time but I think any chance to see GFriend is worth the wait! Approximately only 15 Buddies were let into the live taping of M Countdown following the fan meeting.

----170311 – Music Core Recording & Ilsan Fansign

Spoiler

Today would prove to be a really crazy day.  My family was in town visiting Korea for a few days and I was their tour guide all while attending GFriend’s comeback activities. That morning I headed to DMC to attend the Music Core pre-recording. There I had met up with a K-Buddy I had met on Kakao, really chill guy. As it was a weekend, more high schoolers and middle schoolers attended this event and the number of Buddies was close to 200. I lucked out with scoring position #45 for the day. Once again walking into the recording studio, it felt like stepping onto the Fingertip MV rooftop. With even more Buddies in attendance, fanchants were insane! You really have to check out the video for this one! Note that this recording was delayed to the 170318 broadcast due to the President’s impeachment.

After Music Core, I headed back into downtown Seoul to meet with my family. We had decided to tour the Gyeongbuk Palace area & Bukchon Hanok Village. Little did I know that heading into the Bukchon Hanok Village area, I would come across the shooting location for “Rough” (I had not been there before.) I took a few photos and selfies around the school trying to replicate photos of GFriend. Soon after, I would head up to Ilsan, just north of Seoul for the fansign that night. This would be my 5th GFriend fansign and 1st for Awakening.

KakaoTalk_20170704_015347290_zpslf5dqj7h

I’ve been pretty lucky so far when it comes to fansigns as I usually draw below #30 out of 100. Tonight I would be in the twenties, pretty good! I had 1 camera ready for photos, 1 camera to record the entire fansign. Unfortunately for me, my tripod broke while setting up…. So I only really took photos. Of course when you attend a fansign, you should gift something to the members! As it was my first fansign this comeback, I had prepared a slightly bigger gift than I normally would the others. I gave each member a Toronto Raptors NBA basketball team jersey and of course some chocolate. 

IMG_3245_zpsja48kddy.jpg

It’s my turn to go up, why am I so nervous? I’ve done this many times before?! GFriend is in pyjama style clothing. My bag of gifts starts rips. Oh my god. SinB is up first and she’s looking as beautiful as ever. The flower wreath around her head really did it. As always I say my usual hello, tell them my name, and then give the gift. I give SinB my gift and she goes right to the tag… “Jeong Yerin??” I reply “OH SHIT!” as SinB starts laughing hysterically. Did I just swear in front of SinB? Yes I did and I gave her the wrong jersey. I somehow had the bag upside down. It was cool, we had a laugh. This had been my first engaging experience with SinB as she usually tells me “No English.” 

<My mishap with SinB can be found at 23:23 during the video>

Next along the line was Eunha, whom I usually have a fairly positive experience with. Eunha had said “Not Your First Time.. Ahhh I remember you!” (She’s the one the remembers me the most, LOL) Eunha would end up using the jersey on her lap as a blanket. Great experience, it felt nice being remembered! Umji was next followed by Yuju who I would both have fluent conversations in English with. Sowon had really caught my attention during this fansign as she seemed really engaged and wanted to talk to me. Normally she would say her English is not good and she will try to learn more next time. This particular day she had asked me “Do you like my red hair? Is it beautiful? Do I look pretty?” Haha wow this is a side of Sowon I had never experienced before. She truly amazed me. Sadly I had come to the end, my bias Yerin. Although I usually get awesome fan service from her, I cannot say it was at the same level this day. I can’t really judge because it’s Yerin, she’s our goldfish. ^_^  Nearly all of the members commented on my Yerin “Everything is $#!T” shirt while calling across the end of the table notifying Yerin of my shirt. LOL

<My time with Sowon and Yerin starts at 1:06:45>

----170324 – Noryangjin Fansign

Spoiler

----170326 – Incheon Fansign

Spoiler

----170330 – MWAVE Meet&Greet

Spoiler

Getting into the Mwave Meet&Greet with GFriend was something I really wanted. It was a special once in a life time event that you could not just apply for normally. Mwave was advertising the event on their Facebook fan page and in order to obtain entrance, you had to “share” Mwave’s post regarding the event contest and be selected by them. Thankfully, I was one of the lucky fans selected for the event and was able to bring a guest with me.   As with all recordings, no photos were allowed while taping the broadcast. Fans were however treated to interactions with GFriend such as chatting with them during breaks and fan service directed towards the crowd. The taping was a standard scripted Mwave Meet&Greet featuring games, Q&A, and of course a live performance! GFriend had of course sang their current single “Fingertip” and an appropriate titled track for the season “Rain in the Springtime” which were both marvelous. Having drawn seat #5 in the random seat selection, I was able to sit in the front row of the venue. J Fanchants for Fingertip were top notch considering the small crowd of about 50 Buddies.  This was probably due to the fact that about 80% of us were regulars to music shows and were experts at the fanchants. LOL

IMG_3526_zpss8jbcxfs.jpg

----170402 – Inkigayo Recording

Spoiler

Sadly, this would be my last opportunity to see GFriend during the Fingertip comeback as I would be leaving back to Canada the next day. My trip had actually been extended a week because of the Dear Buddy fanmeeting announcement. Anyhow, I was in for a really long day. Inkigayo pre-recording was bright and early in the morning, but not as early as others had been. I was able to take one of the early morning trains to SBS and still make it in time for check-in. (Most of the time for Inkigayo, check-in had been at 3-4am and an overnight stay at the nearby McDonalds was a must.) This had actually been one of the only pre-recordings in more than a week, from what I recall there were about 150 Buddies registered for today’s event. All of the female Buddies were allocated standing room in front of the stage (for some reason this has been happening lately) and males were relegated to seated positions in the recording studio. However a number of the males, including myself were moved to the stage to see GFriend record up close! This was indeed a treat as Inkigayo had usually only let the females at the foot of the stage. As this would be my last pre-recording this comeback, I gave it my all and fanchanted as hard as I could. “Kim Sojung! Jung Yerin! Jung Eunbi! Choi Yuna! Hwang Eunbi! Kim Yewon! YEO! JA! CHIN! GU!” As always, GFriend performed marvelously. It was such a treat to watch the choreography of Fingertip up close and to chant with the Buddies again. It had been more than a week since the last pre-recording which seemed way too long. Following the recording, Buddies were guided back outside by Source Music fan staff and lined up according to their registered numbers for the day. A special event/lucky draw was occurring and Lens Nine merchandise and signed polaroids were to be won. Today was definitely a special day since Dear Buddy was later on in the night so it seemed appropriate for Source Music to have a special event like this. It was strange, along with the normal fan staff, GFriend’s camera manager was at the front of the line using is phone giving the fan staff the winning numbers. (It seems like he was receiving texts/ the winning numbers from someone… Maybe GFriend was personally choosing winners????) As winner’s numbers were being called out, I watched everyone go up and collect their winnings. Many of the winners were those that I knew including, K-Buddies and i-Buddies. Nearing the end of the lucky draw a number had been called out and nobody was responding. One of my Korean Buddy friends ran up to me and said “Jon.. That’s you!” OMG I just won something.. This would be the second time as I had won a Lens Nine case at the first lucky draw of the comeback. I yelled out to the fan staff and approached them slowly. They help a group of polaroids upside down and told me to choose one (in Korean). I was lucky enough to draw an autographed Umji polaroid. J Although unconfirmed, a K-Buddy friend believed that GFriend wanted to thank the fans that came out to see them the most during this comeback, especially those that came from far away. Following the event, Taiwan buddies and I took a taxi to Olympic Park where Dear Buddy was being held later that day.

----170402 – Dear Buddy

Spoiler

Upon arriving at Olympic Park Hall, the lineup for Dear Buddy merchandise was crazy! We didn’t we would be able to secure much merchandise as the line was so long. The limit was set at two of each item per person. Funny story (not really), one of my HK Buddy friends was walking along the line and noticed me, he had said there was someone he wanted me to meet. Low and behold this would be my first encounter with one of our staff members @jkyc. LOL! Dang it was pretty cool, I had just met another Canadian Buddy let alone a GFSquad staff member! Anyhow, I was able to attain two of every item exept the Navillera badge which had sadly just sold out as I purchased it. L Inside the venue I was seated on the second level, Not the best seat in the house, but a pretty good unobstructed view of the stage. With this many Buddies altogether, fanchants had been insane. Of course I had given it my all fanchanting my way from “Glass Bead” all the way up to “Fingertip”. GFriend even came around the venue a few times while performing and took selfies with lucky fans. Damn when the Navillera intro video started, it sent chills down my spine. I was not ready for it again.. It had been almost a year since I participated in fanchants with Buddies to my favourite GFriend song. It had been a totally fantastic time. Fanchanting with all of the Buddies, listening to GFriend speak, sing, & even cry… It was all totally worth every penny.

IMG_3659_zps2bgltphp.jpg

I really felt their emotions just by witnessing it all sitting in my seat with my Yugu bong in hand. Unbelievable, indescribable, you just had to be there to experience all these emotions. Following the Fan Meeting, we were treated to fireworks from the recently opened Lotte Tower in Jamsil, which totally had nothing to do with GFriend putting everyone is such a better mood. Following the concert, I tagged along with the Taiwan Buddies for my last BBQ night out. It was great! We just saw GFriend’s first fanmeeting in Seoul, had the time of our lives and were now sharing the experience together. What more could you ask for?

Edited by AznSeoul

This was a blast to read. It really brought back memories and feelings I felt when I went to Korea to see GFRIEND too.

At the M countdown comeback stage, I believe you met @YujuHeroes! He was telling me that he met a Canadian buddy there and he was trying to ask you if you've ever heard of GFSquad! Funny how I ended up meeting you at the end of Dear Buddy because of the HK Buddies I met. My family is also from HK so I hung out with the HK buddies a fair amount during my stay in Korea.

Your mix up with SinB at the Ilsan fansign was too good! Sowon speaking english to you must have been a blessing. She did the same for me too at the fansign I went to and I died haha.

Was the #5 seat the front row on the left at the Mwave Meet & Greet? If so, I think I remember seeing cause I was in the 2nd row on the left side but in the middle aisle seat. I was talking with the HK Buddies seated in the row in front of me.

HERE I GO, I WANNA GO

nerdysinbart sig.jpg

cr: nerdysinb

11 minutes ago, Jkyc said:

This was a blast to read. It really brought back memories and feelings I felt when I went to Korea to see GFRIEND too.

At the M countdown comeback stage, I believe you met @YujuHeroes! He was telling me that he met a Canadian buddy there and he was trying to ask you if you've ever heard of GFSquad! Funny how I ended up meeting you at the end of Dear Buddy because of the HK Buddies I met. My family is also from HK so I hung out with the HK buddies a fair amount during my stay in Korea.

Your mix up with SinB at the Ilsan fansign was too good! Sowon speaking english to you must have been a blessing. She did the same for me too at the fansign I went to and I died haha.

Was the #5 seat the front row on the left at the Mwave Meet & Greet? If so, I think I remember seeing cause I was in the 2nd row on the left side but in the middle aisle seat. I was talking with the HK Buddies seated in the row in front of me.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Glad we can share these memories together!

Yes I did meet him at M Countdown!, I tried explaining that after Dear Buddy. LOL. I made the connection after the HK Buddies told me another Canadian was coming. I've known a few of them since we met at Navillera comeback.

Honestly, that was the best English interaction i've ever had with Sowon! She just kept going and didn't give up at all. I somehow manged to pump out all of the English she knew out of her. It was like a near death experience. :Sowon:

Yes, #5 was on the left side, two HK buddies were in front of you. I hung out with them a few times as well. I definitely saw you then but just had no idea who you were at the time. xD

btw I added photos to my post. ^_^

12 minutes ago, AznSeoul said:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Glad we can share these memories together!

Yes I did meet him at M Countdown!, I tried explaining that after Dear Buddy. LOL. I made the connection after the HK Buddies told me another Canadian was coming. I've known a few of them since we met at Navillera comeback.

Honestly, that was the best English interaction i've ever had with Sowon! She just kept going and didn't give up at all. I somehow manged to pump out all of the English she knew out of her. It was like a near death experience. :Sowon:

Yes, #5 was on the left side, two HK buddies were in front of you. I hung out with them a few times as well. I definitely saw you then but just had no idea who you were at the time. xD

btw I added photos to my post. ^_^

I'm sure the next time I go I'll see a lot of familiar faces, including yours :P. Doubt I can go for this comeback but I pray haha.

HERE I GO, I WANNA GO

nerdysinbart sig.jpg

cr: nerdysinb