d2sCkmc.jpg
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Albatro

[interview]
[Translation | GQ Korea] Real GFRIEND #Yuju (Interview)

5 posts in this topic

Real GFRIEND #Yuju
Date: 160622

style_576a2d2ae058b.jpg

When I think of GFRIEND's songs, I think of your vocalization.
That's something I haven't heard before. Pretty unique.

Perhaps it's because your voice is full of power? For instance, your parts in GFRIEND's songs stand out, and that feels like GFRIEND. Alternatively speaking, you have some sort of 'tension'. If you think about it, the other parts are pretty, comfortable, and natural.
I think having to express a bright and healthy girl's image brings out the times I used to run around in the playground. I feel like my personality is also reflected in my singing.

What personality do you have? At first glance, you seem quiet, but much different when someone approaches you.
I heard that a lot when I was attending school. I don't appear very approachable at first glance, but then end up being the opposite of that once they get to know me. At times, I appear so desperate that others feel sorry for me. It's shown in the stepping stone game in < One Fine Day > and through running in < ISAC >. Maybe it's because I naturally like exercising? I feel very natural about that. I think varieties turn out better if I take a more relaxed approach to it.

I believe you've participated in many singing competitions since you were young. I thought the sincerity and consistent desire to be a singer is now being reflected in your songs and TV appearances. I'd be hesitant to think that they had no impact.
It's more so that I didn't want to waste my time rather than me liking challenges.

That seems like where the 'tension' I talked about originated from.
But it's also important to commit when I have to, and relax when necessary. I have to relax enough so that I can fully engage in whatever I do next. I'm more lenient with myself when I relax.

Does that mean you sleep when you're tired, regardless of day or night?
I'm not good at taking naps. When I spend time on my own in our car, that's when I freely do whatever I want to do.

What kind of stuff do you do?
I can't really dance in the car, nor sing because members are around, so I found that practicing facial expressions for music videos is the best. I put on my earbuds and practice reacting to each song, from cheerful songs to dark songs.

I guess 'tension' could be explained like this. Something that shows when a prepared person presents themselves, versus someone who isn't prepared.
I guess it has to be a good tension? Haha.

Have you ever thought about why you fell the most during that stage? (The performance in the rain, surpassing over 10 million views on YouTube)
We practiced the same way, and I thought I had a pretty good sense of balance. So I was kinda embarrassed. I guess my moves were just more extreme?

That's right. It relates to the discussion we had today, about how you were working more than others. And that was shown once you encountered a bad situation. You were working more than others because you practiced so much.
There is definitely something to be earned from practices. Even if I don't become better at singing or dancing through practicing, I always learn something that only I know while going through trial and error. Those are valuable to learn.

Do you know how your eyes open wide on stage?
Haha. Our fans talk about that a lot.

Even that seems like you are showing your will.
I think so too. It's not like my eyes appear pretty or something. I personally think that I'm trying to deliver some sort of message with my eyes even in the short moment I'm on camera.

style_5769e9e07ca27.jpg

Source: GQ Korea
Translated by Albatro

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

1 hour ago, Albatro said:

I guess 'tension' could be explained like this. Something that shows when a prepared person presents themselves, versus someone who isn't prepared.
I guess it has to be a good tension? Haha.

In other words: it's good to be nervous a little..it means you're alert and prepared but being too nervous to the point where you're shaking from fear isn't good. 

1 hour ago, Albatro said:

Have you ever thought about why you fell the most during that stage? (The performance in the rain, surpassing over 10 million views on YouTube)
We practiced the same way, and I thought I had a pretty good sense of balance. So I was kinda embarrassed. I guess my moves were just more extreme?

It was but I enjoyed her performance a lot. It broke my heart watching her fall 8 times but the thing that made me smile was that she kept getting up.

Fall down 8 times, get up 9 times. She never gave up. She should never be embarrassed!

FEZ4zS.gif "Fall down eight times, get up nine." 

b8dea1d6285da5f1ca73064f7a357cfce98390d5"Laus Deo Semper"

1 hour ago, Yunaverse said:

It was but I enjoyed her performance a lot. It broke my heart watching her fall 8 times but the thing that made me smile was that she kept getting up.

I just can't watch that fancam anymore, whenever it comes up on variety shows I close my eyes and skip it :y2:

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

Like method actors, who gets into the "zone" and taking on the personality of their character, Yuju has a way similar as she prepares to do her thing. I see this during her stage performances, right before her part, she has this concentration going on, and when it's her turn she goes all out. I don't know if she puts more effort than the other 5, but I do believe she gives 100% to whatever she is doing. She puts on her game face and takes on whatever is in front her of head-on. She's constantly looking for ways to improve herself, and because of this, her potential of growth has no bounds.

Another great translation, @Albatro! Thank you!

:yj2:

On 7/4/2017 at 1:24 AM, Albatro said:

When I think of GFRIEND's songs, I think of your vocalization.
That's something I haven't heard before. Pretty unique.

Do you know how your eyes open wide on stage?
Haha. Our fans talk about that a lot.

I love how this interview let her know these things that I (and many more Buddies, I guess) would love to tell her haha!

On 7/4/2017 at 3:49 AM, Albatro said:

I just can't watch that fancam anymore, whenever it comes up on variety shows I close my eyes and skip it :y2:

I feel ya. Though it shows her great determination, it still hurts seeing her fall :(

Yuju.png.fcca76aa877ba62941b60d8a0d0b6e29.png

괜찮은 느낌 이 떨림 나도 몰래 우연히 봄