Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Albatro

interview
[Translation | GQ Korea] Real GFRIEND #Sowon (Interview)

4 posts in this topic

Real GFRIEND #Sowon
Date: 160622

style_5768dfc869514-818x1024-1466491052.jpg

Isn't your self-introduction too simple compared to other idols?
Well, giving ourselves a specific title sort of restricts us. We didn't want to have 'GFRIEND is this kind of team' set in stone.

The simple self-introduction does seem to reflect GFRIEND's pure and clean energy. It's been one and a half year since your debut. Do you think you've lived up to your team name?
We wanted to clearly present GFRIEND's unique identity, and I think we did manage to do a bit of that.

You mean 'Power Innocence'?
Yeah. When I hear "That sounds like GFRIEND's song," "That looks like GFRIEND's dance," or "Indeed, that's GFRIEND's Sowon," that's when I think to myself 'Ah, we did a good job expressing ourselves'.

So the first three songs were part of the "School Trilogy." Then the song that's coming soon is probably the start of the next season. How do you think the next season will be?
'Rough' was a year-closing ceremony, not a graduation ceremony. I'm not saying our next album will be another schoolgirl concept, we want to present the colours that suit us the best at that moment. But we don't feel pressured to grow more mature with every new album.

GFRIEND's strength is that they are so natural off-stage.
It's because we're just such a bright bunch of kids. We feel like we're friends who met each other through school. However, there are times where we are too loud or too crazy, so we try not to cross the line when we're on TV. For example, you know how there is this one thing where everyone in a group makes an ugly face to make one person stand out? We're confident that we can do that really well.

GFRIEND tends to not back out of anything, but you try to keep things in balance.
I think so too. Haha. But I kinda want to fix that. You know how the camera closes in before going on stage? Then even as we're just playing around and all, I immediately put on my TV face and say "Hello everyone, we're currently here." As the leader, I feel like I have the responsibility to do that.

GFRIEND doesn't have a 'Girl Crush' character, but I think you might be the most appropriate for that character.
Me too. Haha. We have some members that can look cold. Like me or SinB, somewhat cold or proud. Maybe I should say we look like Seoul women? Haha.

How do you think you'd look if you cut your hair?
I don't really care. I want to try bobbed hair too, but I'm afraid I might look taller.

Speaking of your height, your major was Model, right? Were you originally thinking of being a model?
I have no relation to being a model. It's because I applied as a trainee. One time, I was scolded during our profile photo shoots for being inexperienced since the agency teaches us singing and dancing, but not posing or making facial expressions. There are many occasions I could use those skills, like today, but I don't have an opportunity to learn them. And so I thought I could learn everything I'd need as a singer if I applied to be a model.

Did you get taught about being a leader from somewhere?
I think my personality makes me a natural born leader. I tend to take charge wherever I go. When things aren't moving along fast, I get frustrated.

Do you take pride in leading GFRIEND well thus far?
I think there is synergy when each of us excel at what we do best. If one of us thinks we're doing well because of her, then turning solo is more appropriate. Wouldn't it be that since all of us lack in certain areas, we gathered together to form 'GFRIEND'?

style_5769e9e07ca27-819x1024.jpg

Source: GQ Korea
Translated by Albatro

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

Thanks

Sowon is so mature,as expected from our leaderB|

On 7/3/2017 at 11:56 AM, Albatro said:

I think there is synergy when each of us excel at what we do best. If one of us thinks we're doing well because of her, then turning solo is more appropriate. Wouldn't it be that since all of us lack in certain areas, we gathered together to form 'GFRIEND'?

As expected, Sowon is really great with words. This is so well thought but still sounded so sincere. And this is the perfect mindset for a group.

GXl8XF.gif   vHCBca.gif

HAPPY 3 YEARS WITH GFRIEND!!!

Sowon expresses herself well. She has a good tone and phrases her words well. While she is the oldest and leader of GFRIEND, I can see the kid in her too. Though she's more "reserved" if you will, because of her role as the leader. I guess in a way she knows when to turn on and off the switch. While she can look "cold" or "proud" look, I think of it as "chic". I agree with her that there's a synergy going on and each of the girls bring something unique that makes them GFRIEND.

As always @Albatro, thank you for a wonderful translations!

:Sowon: