Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Albatro

interview
[Translation | Interview] (MD Interview) GFRIEND Reveals #FINGERTIP #Falling_Incident #Twice (Q & A)

17 posts in this topic

1.jpg

[MyDaily = Lee Seung-Rok Reporter]
Girlgroup GFRIEND (Sowon Yerin Eunha Yuju SinB Umji) revealed their thoughts regarding the comeback.

GFRIEND held a combined interview at a café in Seoul Seongdong-Gu on the 7th, in celebration of the new album 'THE AWAKENING'.

During the interview, GFRIEND stated that even though they may be getting more popular, "We won't lose the way we were at the very beginning" and "We are still thankful for everything, even the smallest things."

Specifically, Yuju let out tears - "It's emotional" - while reminiscing of the day GFRIEND went through the 'falling incident'. Yuju then added "To be honest, how painful can falling down really be," which set off the tears of other members such as Sowon and Umji.

The new album's title song is 'FINGERTIP', which showcases the dramatic change in GFRIEND. Thanks to the catchy chorus of "Tang-tang-tang FINGERTIP!", the song is receiving lots of love since its release on the 6th.

201703071126191319_2_99_20170307113105.j

Below is the Q&A.

- Thoughts on achieving #1 on music charts with the new song?

Sowon: "Preparing for this album was half worry, half excitement. It's because there were lots of changes in our concept. Fortunately, many people showed interest ever since the teaser release, and this was the first time we appeared on the real-time search rankings during the teaser phase. I wasn't able to sleep very well worrying, but all of the public interest is gave me energy for me to work hard and start promoting."

- Thoughts while you were checking the music charts?

Umji: "This time, our goal - while it would be nice to have a good record - is to receive positive feedback from the public such as 'Ah, they can excel with this kind of concept too' because we had a concept change. And so I didn't bother paying too much attention to the charts."

- What was the reason for the concept change?

SinB: "Me and Umji became adults following graduation, and there was a change of concept to match that. I think the timing was pretty good as we needed a concept change after our 'School Trilogy.'"

- Do you like the new concept?

SinB: "We took off our school uniforms to be able to demonstrate a variety of looks, and I really like how we were able to change into a chic style."

Sowon: "Just because we changed, it doesn't necessarily imply 'we are no longer young girls'. There is a lot we can show, and we wanted to show everything. During the earlier stages of debut, I once said 'I would like to try whatever fits us at that moment', and I would like to try this and that. Perhaps we can go back to our innocence, and have variety like that."

Yerin: "Like a chameleon?"(laughs)

201703071126191319_3_99_20170307113105.j

- The changes are?

Yuju: "From the outfits to hairstyles, they all changed. Originally, our concept was to not dye our hairs, but we went through a dramatic change. As for our outfits, we changed from school uniforms to military uniforms."

- Any point dances?

SinB: "'Tang-tang-tang' We paid a lot of attention to detail in firing the gun. We even considered the recoil."
Sowon: "Our CEO-nim sent us a photo of a real soldier and asked us to pay attention to how we see, like such."

- Aren't there reactions with the 'unfamiliarity' of the change?

Sowon: "We are actually looking forward to this. A verse from our lyrics I like is 'I was already prepared'. If we had a concept that didn't match us, we wouldn't have came back with the concept. I'm not sure how others might perceive us, but we came back because we were prepared. I'm thinking when we have our first comeback stage, more people will like us. So we are greatly anticipating for the first music show. Between us, we're excited. Despite the said reactions, we don't even have regrets such as 'Oh no, should we return to our roots'. Instead, we are thinking 'Okay, let's just be even more awesome'.

- Did you gain confidence?

Sowon: "When we received the guide for the song, we were 50/50 on it. However, all of our members got assurance when we filmed our choreography scene in the M/V. The atmosphere was amazing, and we thought 'Ah, we need to go on a music show.'"

Yerin: "That was the first time wearing our outfits, after weeks of wearing practice outfits in our practice room. The members were like, quite amazing."

201703071126191319_4_99_20170307113105.j

- Everyone is in their 20's now, and so what path do you think GFRIEND will be walking on from now on?

Sowon: "It's not like we were set on going forward with the 'School Trilogy' ever since debuting with 'Glass Bead'. We just performed songs that fit us the best at that moment, and there were lots of other song candidates while preparing for 'FINGERTIP'. I think the song quality and the seasonality are also aspects we can't leave out. I expect us to be coming back with songs that are most appropriate for the corresponding season."

- Aren't there lots of reactions praising Umji's beauty?

Umji: "I think becoming 20 years old and growing up a bit gave me a little bit of that mature beauty I didn't have before. I'm really happy thanks to everyone telling me that I fit well." (laughs)

- Who became the prettiest since 'Glass Bead'?

Members: "Definitely Eunha. The bobbed-hair was a godsend. She also lost lots of her baby fat. Her pretty face features are now well revealed."

Eunha: "(laughs) I feel blessed thanks to everyone complimenting me with my beauty. I'm happy because everyone had an unified opinion of me."

Sowon: "We're not saying you're the prettiest of us 6, it's that you improved the most."

Yerin: "I hope Eunha keeps her bobbed-hair for 3 years."

201703071126191319_5_99_20170307113105.j

- Confident on the music show rankings?

Sowon: "It would be great if we could achieve a great record, but more so I would like to hear 'Ah they can digest that concept without feeling out of place'. I take a look at a lot of comments, but the reactions still seem 50/50 for now. Our goal is to perform on a music show and hear 'They're good, blended in very well'. Rather than our report card, we are focusing more on those aspects.

- You are often picked as the Top 2 girlgroups with Twice. You will now be promoting at the same time, how do you feel?

Yerin: "I've known friends in Twice since a long time ago. I was wondering when we would be promoting at the same time, and we happen to have overlapping schedules this week. We'll be meeting them in broadcasting stations. Twice's song is good and their choreography seems nice too.

Sowon: "We are good friends with Twice. We also KakaoTalk each other a lot. The reason we got close was because we wrote 'We want to be friends'. While doing the collaboration stages, there were members of the same age and so I was able to get closer to them. When each other's teasers get revealed, we always support each other, take capture photos and cheer each other on, encouraging: 'The song is so good, we saw the M/V'. We are good colleagues.

201703071126191319_6_99_20170307113105.j

- Any chance you'll be returning to innocence?

Umji: "Of course!"

Sowon: "If we get an opportunity to come back in the Spring, we'll probably consider it. And I think all of us look innocent." 

- Some fans are concerned that you might gain too much ego because you got so popular, so quickly.

Umji: "We still take capture photos of each other when we rise in the search lists. We are still amazed at even the littlest things. We talk about the words we shared during our trainee days. The love we are receiving right now shouldn't be taken for granted, and that every bit of it is precious. We will always be active without losing our original hearts and intentions."

Sowon: "I still can't believe that we are receiving so much love. Because our agency isn't a big one, we weren't expecting this much attention towards us. At this point we rose on the real-time search rankings even with teasers, but we still feel like trainees when we aren't actively promoting. We don't even know how to decorate ourselves. We had our photos taken once while walking around nearby streets with weird visuals. Yerin got a photo taken wearing slippers, training uniform and hoodie. We were told 'don't do that,' but we really just don't care too much. We don't wear masks or hats just because we became a celebrity. We still feel too much like trainees."

Yerin: "Every bit is precious, and we are aware that none of what we have came by easily. So we won't be able to forget that."

201703071126191319_7_99_20170307113105.j

- Some say you gained popularity off of the 'falling incident'?

Sowon: "Actually it's also thanks to Yerin doing well on 'Running Man' prior to that. For sure, more of the public heard of us thanks to the 'falling incident', but hearing about how that incident "saved our lives" is a little upsetting.

Umji: "We are famous for the 'Falling FanCam', but I think we received lots of support not because we fell, but because we got up again and and finished the stage. Words like 'Lucky you fell' upset us. We think the love we received was thanks to us getting up and finishing the stage despite falling multiple times."

Yuju: "It's pretty emotional. To be honest, how painful can falling down really be." (Yuju, who fell the most during the 'falling incident' showed tears while reminiscing of the day, and members also let out tears seeing Yuju.)

Eunha: "I'm thankful for Yuju getting up and still trying her best despite falling, it gets me emotional."

Yuju: "The falling itself isn't really painful. My thought is that getting up was definitely the right thing to do. When people compliment me for that, I wonder if I even deserve that praise anymore. I try to never forget my attitude from that day. It's an unforgettable stage."

201703071126191319_8_99_20170307113105.j

- Goals for this promotion and final statements?

Umji: "I'd like to be able to promote healthy and not get hurt. Personally, I'd like everyone to watch our stages and be overwhelmed with emotions."

Sowon: "We came back after having our longest break yet. Although there may be a new chance, we also worked very hard for this comeback so I hope lots of people will support us for our upcoming promotions."

[Photo = MyDaily Photo DB]

(Lee Seung-Rok Reporter : roku@mydaily.co.kr)

Interview Source: Naver TVEntertainment Article

Translated by Albatro

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

24 minutes ago, Albatro said:

Sowon: "We're not saying you're the prettiest of us 6, it's that you improved the most."

LOL

Thank you so much for the translation Al! This was a great read!

HERE I GO, I WANNA GO

nerdysinbart sig.jpg

cr: nerdysinb

I hope Eunha never loses her double-chin :eunhaadore: Thanks for translation!

2w3bbs8.jpg   15qt2r9.jpg

I'm so proud of them. So humble and down to earth idols even they're already famous. 😢😭👏👏 Cherr Up Gfriend.😀😀😀

31 minutes ago, Albatro said:

Umji: "This time, our goal - while it would be nice to have a good record - is to receive positive feedback from the public such as 'Ah, they can excel with this kind of concept too' because we had a concept change. And so I didn't bother paying too much attention to the charts."

This, just this.

Buddies, stop worrying too much, keep the hard work but also enjoy the comeback

This is definitetly a great read! I'm really happy that the girls are still down to earth amidst their fast popularity. I hope they continue to be like this for more years to come!!

As expected of @Albatro! Thank you for the translation!

GFriend will be my last girl group...

NEW SIG2.gif

50 minutes ago, Albatro said:

We had our photos taken once while walking around nearby streets with weird visuals. Yerin got a photo taken wearing slippers, training uniform and hoodie.

Queens of visuals :D

2_zpsw14s5p5c.gifsowon%20so%20hot%201_zpspkz9yevw.gif
Sowon: It's not that we came to you. You came to us.

Call me an emotional person but when all member cried with Yuju it's an indicators that they're hurt too. Not just physically as for Yuju & Sinb but the members feeling the same pain as them. I'm myself not really fond when I heard people said because of the falling incident they became famous. I know they worked hard as where they are right now. We like, love, support & cherish them not solely because of their music but their personalities too. They're the young adults that work hard to be successful in what they love to do as well as to keep evolving.  

Let's keep supporting our girls as long as we can Buddies~

Anyhow @Albatro thanks Al! You're awesome!! 

YUJU.gif

SR_STAGE_170930_ALL_03(4.8MB).gif

Sowon is really good leader.. how she answered the questions is really smart.. and umji too, I like how they handled the questions

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using GFSquad.com mobile app

Thank you for this!

Thank you for the translation!

I was reading this and still feeling amazed of how wise Umji's answers were. WOW. Just WOW.

:sb2:

5ibEtdd.gifH027EVu.gif

Thank you for the translation !

It is really interesting interview session. They're all so nice and down to earth [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G531H using GFSquad.com mobile app

1 hour ago, phoebe said:

Thank you for the translation!

I was reading this and still feeling amazed of how wise Umji's answers were. WOW. Just WOW.

And her last answer... please stay healthy this time GFRIEND T_

"이거 하나만 약속해, 변치 않기를 바랄게. 그때도 지금처럼 날 향해 웃어줘"

"Promise me this one thing, I hope you don't change. Smile at me then like you do now"

Thank you so much for translating this! 

17 hours ago, Albatro said:

We are still amazed at even the littlest things. We talk about the words we shared during our trainee days. The love we are receiving right now shouldn't be taken for granted, and that every bit of it is precious. We will always be active without losing our original hearts and intentions.

That's why I love this group. Although they are quite popular now they still know who they are and what they achieved.

That's why GFriend is my favourite group! :gfriend:

Edited by blackTenergy

its great read / interview :yerincry:

19 hours ago, Albatro said:

- Some fans are concerned that you might gain too much ego because you got so popular, so quickly.

Umji: "We still take capture photos of each other when we rise in the search lists. We are still amazed at even the littlest things. We talk about the words we shared during our trainee days. The love we are receiving right now shouldn't be taken for granted, and that every bit of it is precious. We will always be active without losing our original hearts and intentions."

Sowon: "I still can't believe that we are receiving so much love. Because our agency isn't a big one, we weren't expecting this much attention towards us. At this point we rose on the real-time search rankings even with teasers, but we still feel like trainees when we aren't actively promoting. We don't even know how to decorate ourselves. We had our photos taken once while walking around nearby streets with weird visuals. Yerin got a photo taken wearing slippers, training uniform and hoodie. We were told 'don't do that,' but we really just don't care too much. We don't wear masks or hats just because we became a celebrity. We still feel too much like trainees."

Yerin: "Every bit is precious, and we are aware that none of what we have came by easily. So we won't be able to forget that."

THEY ARE TOO PRECIOUS <3 <3 (Those who don't stan them are so blinded.) 

*Entertaining Buddies and Spreading the Gfriend Love*