Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gorilla

[Speculation] This comeback is a ballad

28 posts in this topic

I think the comeback is a ballad for a few reasons:

• No teasers 2 weeks before release if March 6th is correct. Typically teasers are 1 month before, but a ballad doesn't need lots of promotion beforehand.
  • They mentioned ballad in sma vapp, and Yerin said stop and members laughed.
  • Can comeback at a busy time, but if they don't win they won't seem to have flopped as it's a ballad.
  • Typically when they perform 4 songs at events they use mgt, navillera, mermaid and rough. They'll perform mgt and rough forever because they're smash hits, and navillera is still new*. A new ballad keeps navillera active. And for events with 5 songs they could use mermaid instead of gwtw like they currently do, because dancing 4 songs must be exhausting.

*I know navillera won lots of shows, but it has 1m downloads, whereas mgt and rough are 2m. I'm not implying 1m is small though it's still amazing.

TL;DR The main reason I predict a ballad is because a new dance will kill navillera from their performances, and it seems too early to replace it imo.

It's all guesswork, but for me it answers some of the irregularities of this comeback.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

All the hype will be killed if this comeback is a ballad. Source Music said that they were trying something completely new (Rough to me was kind of ballad-ish), so I think they might do a girl crush/power concept. Also, the album title is called "The Awakening", which might be based off the feminist book by Kate Chopin. So that kind of supports the girl crush concept even more. 

For me, gfriend themselves aren't hyping this enough to think there's a big change. I'd also expect lots of vapps and yeochintv by now if this was girlcrush. I think by including 'trust', then 'mermaid' in events, they've shown ballads are a focus for them. It could be like red velvet, who released 'one of these nights' in the month march too, which allowed them to keep their normal concept for 'russian roulette' afterwards.

7 minutes ago, gorilla said:

For me, gfriend themselves aren't hyping this enough to think there's a big change. I'd also expect lots of vapps and yeochintv by now if this was girlcrush. I think by including 'trust', then 'mermaid' in events, they've shown ballads are a focus for them. It could be like red velvet, who released 'one of these nights' in the month march too, which allowed them to keep their normal concept for 'russian roulette' afterwards.

the inclusion of those 2 ballads IMO more about change of pace and can let them to take a breath for next dance song in event ... :)

I am not against ballads comeback (of course if its a super good ballad); I love ballads and ballads are more eternal; but I dont think those visuals/ hairstyle are suitable for ballads ;)

1 hour ago, simply_yuju said:

the inclusion of those 2 ballads IMO more about change of pace and can let them to take a breath for next dance song in event ... :)

I am not against ballads comeback (of course if its a super good ballad); I love ballads and ballads are more eternal; but I dont think those visuals/ hairstyle are suitable for ballads ;)

I disagree I think the hair/visuals suits a ballad very well. They all have long hair now (except Eunha who suits short hair unquestionably) which makes them seem taller and which suits high heels, perfect for standing still or a small performance. On the Gaon red carpet it looked suited to a ballad. For OOTN, RV had a red member and a one blonde member so the hair isn't unusual. And... there could even be a rap in the ballad :o.

No!!

That will kill their momentum. 

5ibEtdd.gifH027EVu.gif

I love Trust and Sunshine so I don't mind them doing ballads, but it probably won't be a good idea for a ballad to be the title song. The girls are known for their choreography so an upbeat song would be more suitable for them. It would be great if there is a ballad in their next album though.

Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app

As a b-track yes but it wont be the title song definitely, it would kill everything they have worked for so far as a powerful dance group. The fact that they are releasing it early March and competing directly with twice makes me think that they are already really confident about this comeback, i'm pretty confident in their management. Not hyping up the song early is not necessarily a bad move, in fact it makes the song more relevant when it comes out, rather than teasing it early on and letting the hype die down a little by the time it releases, especially with twice roaming around now. It will likely be a really strong and powerful song, perhaps straying from their 'innocent' concept as they have all grown up now. Releasing a ballad as a title is definitely a bad move(look at how one of these nights by RV flopped, sorry RV stans) as they cant compare to dance songs, source music isnt stupid enough to let gfriend flop now when they are still pretty relevant.

2 minutes ago, sacredproz said:

As a b-track yes but it wont be the title song definitely, it would kill everything they have worked for so far as a powerful dance group. The fact that they are releasing it early March and competing directly with twice makes me think that they are already really confident about this comeback, i'm pretty confident in their management. Not hyping up the song early is not necessarily a bad move, in fact it makes the song more relevant when it comes out, rather than teasing it early on and letting the hype die down a little by the time it releases, especially with twice roaming around now. It will likely be a really strong and powerful song, perhaps straying from their 'innocent' concept as they have all grown up now. Releasing a ballad as a title is definitely a bad move(look at how one of these nights by RV flopped, sorry RV stans) as they cant compare to dance songs, source music isnt stupid enough to let gfriend flop now when they are still pretty relevant.

I totally agree. I'm not getting ballad vibes at all, to be honest. But I guess we just have to wait and see.

57770212c40c0988716203.gif57770353474fb277138169.gif

Honestly i keep getting the girl crush vibe in their latest performances...
something really changes...but i dunno how to describe it...
or maybe its just me who cant adapt to Yerin's haristyle though its pretty..
hahah...

but imo the concept this time, they should try girl crush...like Black Pink is also okay...
well after Navillera, i doubt they are going to challenge another hard dance song...
since it will overshadow Navillera's hard choreo..
but we never know...

But really, if ballad is the new concept i doubt they can gain a huge amount of new fans...
Ballad is popular, but i think their age is not suitable yet to express the right feeling for ballad..
except our main and lead vocal...

Sent from my Lenovo Z90a40 using GFSquad.com mobile app

Honestly i don't think they will make ballad as their title song. Bside yes.

I think soumu try to increase public curiosity by keeping them hush hush for this comeback. People speculate more for this comeback compare to L.O.L. era. 

I'm confident we will get something today along with their vapp channel+

Does anyone have opinions about their performance set? E.g. do you think a proper dance would replace a song different than navillera? Imo 4 dances are too much, so I don't think a dance could just replace mermaid.

To counter suggestions a ballad would be harmful:

Spoiler

This is harsh, but for me, gfriend releasing on march 6th suggests they don't expect to win shows. Taeyeon and Twice will crush everyone, and there's BTOB, BAP and Lovelyz too. And hyping is absolutely necessary. The only way I can make sense of no hype or excitement directly from gfriend/source music so close to comeback(they barely talked about it in vapps or had vapps in general, not even "it'll be great we're coming soon!"), and that the management is good, is that this is a low key comeback. Save money and resources on this comeback with a ballad, so that they don't depend on huge sales and wins to make money. A ballad keeps their overall act consistent, so performing it at events together with mgt&rough&navillera looks good. And really rather than winning, the aim is to make money, and a small comeback can still support them. Groups prosper without selling anywhere near as well as gfriend have done.

59 minutes ago, gorilla said:

Hide contents

This is harsh, but for me, gfriend releasing on march 6th suggests they don't expect to win shows. Taeyeon and Twice will crush everyone, and there's BTOB, BAP and Lovelyz too. And hyping is absolutely necessary. The only way I can make sense of no hype or excitement directly from gfriend/source music so close to comeback(they barely talked about it in vapps or had vapps in general, not even "it'll be great we're coming soon!"), and that the management is good, is that this is a low key comeback. Save money and resources on this comeback with a ballad, so that they don't depend on huge sales and wins to make money. A ballad keeps their overall act consistent, so performing it at events together with mgt&rough&navillera looks good. And really rather than winning, the aim is to make money, and a small comeback can still support them. Groups prosper without selling anywhere near as well as gfriend have done.

We've already won music shows against BAP, Taeyeon and even Taemin during Rough era. It will all depend on how much people like the song. There are instances where nugus have been brought to the top because of their hit songs.

As sacredproz already stated, doing a ballad especially from an idol group isn't exactly a great idea. There are some groups who pull it off well such as BTOB but Gfriend is known for their powerful energetic choreos, you take that away and you take away the very essence that is Gfriend. The hype for them right now is very huge considering how long they've been away... if you comeback with a ballad after all that time then you kill the hype.

They've already saved their resources during Glass Bead and MGT era, the CEO even stated that they just bought cheap gym clothes for their outfits and now they've already paid off their debt. They also already have bside ballads like Trust/Sunshine/Mermaid to include in their setlist so a ballad title track isn't really necessary, and plus their new album will most likely have a ballad as well.

edit: About the girls hyping it up for a change.. tbh I dont think the change will be too wild. There's definitely something that seems to be different but I don't think they will pull a 180 just like that.

Edited by Rex3

pqRPMwl.jpg

1 hour ago, Rex3 said:

We've already won music shows against BAP, Taeyeon and even Taemin during Rough era. It will all depend on how much people like the song. There are instances where nugus have been brought to the top because of their hit songs.

As sacredproz already stated, doing a ballad especially from an idol group isn't exactly a great idea. There are some groups who pull it off well such as BTOB but Gfriend is known for their powerful energetic choreos, you take that away and you take away the very essence that is Gfriend. The hype for them right now is very huge considering how long they've been away... if you comeback with a ballad after all that time then you kill the hype.

They've already saved their resources during Glass Bead and MGT era, the CEO even stated that they just bought cheap gym clothes for their outfits and now they've already paid off their debt. They also already have bside ballads like Trust/Sunshine/Mermaid to include in their setlist so a ballad title track isn't really necessary, and plus their new album will most likely have a ballad as well.

edit: About the girls hyping it up for a change.. tbh I dont think the change will be too wild. There's definitely something that seems to be different but I don't think they will pull a 180 just like that.

It's too ambitious to expect any song to sell anywhere near 2m like Rough.

I'm not saying they need to save money. I'm saying if they were planning a big comeback there would be more excitement from gfriend/source music. Imo they don't even need to comeback now, they could just have 1 comeback a year and do well with events and foreign fanmeets. When they announced march 6th it made no sense because there's been no vapp and no yeochintv. They have under hyped it themselves in their vapps and by no official confirmation until 12days before the comeback, so when the ballad comes out no one will say "you misled us, we expected more".

I think the hint of a new concept, but little marketing and no teasers even now, blends well with the idea of a 'One Of These Nights' type of comeback. The concept will be different, but because it's a ballad it can still look good in their event acts. And again I think a proper dance would end navillera from their performances and it's too new for that. Every comeback doesn't have to be 'proper' comeback, e.g. DIA were on music shows in subunits singing ballads, but it wasn't a big release. To me this comeback screams 'small comeback' and a ballad fits their current act imo.

13 hours ago, gorilla said:

Gfriend aren't hyping it but pretty much every single buddy is really anticipating this comeback. Doing a ballad for the comeback would absolutely kill that hype and doing a ballad means you're taking away the thing gfriend is mainly known for. Their powerful yet innocent choreography with perfect synchronization. On top of that the album is titled "The Awakening" which is based off the book, which further points fingers towards a girl crush type concept. Plus a source music staff that in the past has posted the mv locations of rough and navillera, then the comeback comes near and that same source music staff posts a drawing of a girl holding a gun. The timing of the post by the source music staff seems a bit too convenient to me. As for the little promotions even with the new idea of a concept is actual a really smart move by Source music. It allows the hype to build up even further than it already has because if they were to promote it a lot buddies would know what to expect but with this it'll be a big surprise to what we actually get. Oh and a thing for the teasers Source music releases teasers 10-11 days before the actual comeback date so releasing a teaser a month does not apply to Source music.  

Edited by TummyProtectionCorps

CMIIW, but I didnt know they've ever use yeochin TV and vapp for promote their comeback before release before ... Almost all yeochin TV/special clips I watched is after the release of rough/navi/MGT, and not before ... And about "small comeback" ; I think its the reverse, this could be a big step, mid-form of GFriend, a new form after trilogy; buffered by LOL and before their last form in next stage of career (24/25+ y.o). SouMu even said they delayed the comeback because of picking the title track was difficult.

And AFAIK twice will be finishing their promotion time around 6 march too, their comeback is not a full comeback (repackage) CMIIW ... They wont versus RV too ...

but again, its all just our speculation :D wait 1-2 days and we will know everything ...

Edited by simply_yuju

2 hours ago, gorilla said:

It's too ambitious to expect any song to sell anywhere near 2m like Rough.

I'm not saying they need to save money. I'm saying if they were planning a big comeback there would be more excitement from gfriend/source music. Imo they don't even need to comeback now, they could just have 1 comeback a year and do well with events and foreign fanmeets. When they announced march 6th it made no sense because there's been no vapp and no yeochintv. They have under hyped it themselves in their vapps and by no official confirmation until 12days before the comeback, so when the ballad comes out no one will say "you misled us, we expected more".

I think the hint of a new concept, but little marketing and no teasers even now, blends well with the idea of a 'One Of These Nights' type of comeback. The concept will be different, but because it's a ballad it can still look good in their event acts. And again I think a proper dance would end navillera from their performances and it's too new for that. Every comeback doesn't have to be 'proper' comeback, e.g. DIA were on music shows in subunits singing ballads, but it wasn't a big release. To me this comeback screams 'small comeback' and a ballad fits their current act imo.

I respectfully disagree with being under hyped. In a way, not releasing teasers makes us even more hyped because we become more desperate that way... theres so much anticipation that even non fans are feeling it.

Coming back once a year is a dangerous move that's only guaranteed to work out for super popular, established groups like SNSD and BigBang. There are groups even more established than Gfriend that came back after one year and they did not do very well. Coming back with a ballad after the duration that they've been gone will result in a lot of people feeling underwhelmed. Yes there are some who appreciate ballads but in terms for being a title track to be performed at music shows, I don't think it will work out.

Finally, there's no use in keeping Navillera active cause SouMu will not benefit from it, it's also not going to reach MGT/Rough status and they probably knows that. It's best to move on to something else.

Edited by Rex3

pqRPMwl.jpg

As for the lack of hype/promotion, maybe they will do it when their channel+ becomes available. It would be good to start the channel with comeback contents.

Sent from my iPhone using GFSquad.com mobile app

if yes then bye gfriend and hello a gg with an actually smart company (jk but it would be a dumb move from soumu, seriously)

Edited by fairy eunha

wKsq1P5.gif rV83Npq.gif

2 hours ago, TummyProtectionCorps said:

As for the little promotions even with the new idea of a concept is actual a really smart move by Source music. It allows the hype to build up even further than it already has because if they were to promote it a lot buddies would know what to expect but with this it'll be a big surprise to what we actually get.

I don't agree at all with this. They could have done so many kinds of teasers/videos that don't reveal the concept.

2 hours ago, simply_yuju said:

CMIIW, but I didnt know they've ever use yeochin TV and vapp for promote their comeback before release before ... Almost all yeochin TV/special clips I watched is after the release of rough/navi/MGT, and not before ... And about "small comeback" ; I think its the reverse, this could be a big step, mid-form of GFriend, a new form after trilogy; buffered by LOL and before their last form in next stage of career (24/25+ y.o). SouMu even said they delayed the comeback because of picking the title track was difficult.

And AFAIK twice will be finishing their promotion time around 6 march too, their comeback is not a full comeback (repackage) CMIIW ... They wont versus RV too ...

but again, its all just our speculation :D wait 1-2 days and we will know everything ...

Yeochintv season 1: 1 month after mgt.
Yeochintv season 2: 4 months after rough, 1.5 month before navillera.
Yeochintv season 3 wasn't made.
Special clips are just uploaded immediately or when the corresponding activity is made public.
Vapps are all over the place, usually for special occasions. I suppose they didn't really use it for comeback promotion when it was free.
Twice repackage is number 1 on melon. Taeyeon 1st full album comeback next week(spoiler: it'll be amazing).

58 minutes ago, Rex3 said:

There's no use in keeping Navillera active, it's not going to react MGT/Rough status and SouMu probably knows that. It's best to move on to something new than to linger on in the past.

I just think a ballad fits their act's theme well while satisfying gfriend's hints for a new theme. If there were big promotions a ballad would seem ridiculous, but soumu seem to be lowering expectations this time imo. I could be completely wrong though, I don't have any special info or anything.

From Navirella to The Awakening. I personally think it'll be a "powerful" concept. The day SinB and Umji graduated, SinB said that she wanted to do something powerful and not sexy. They need to start out with an upbeat song. They debuted strong with no ballads. Then Snowflake featured Trust. LOL then featured Mermaid and Sunshine. Their hair style could be that hint of that.

I'm not fond of ballads but it got everyone else hooked. Drastic changes can also break a group too. That's why I think it'll be a powerful one. Gone with the Wind was a sub-song, a ballad could fit right in too.

If we look at the school trilogy then to LOL, their only growing. A butterfly grows into a wondrous thing but only after it is unseen for awhile. If you want to surprise someone, don't be seen at all. SouMu, a lot of us expect a lot of things from them. Some times we think they make wrong decisions, I do too but they're doing something right.

But hey, that's my opinion.

1 hour ago, alohachingu said:

If you want to surprise someone, don't be seen at all. SouMu, a lot of us expect a lot of things from them. Some times we think they make wrong decisions, I do too but they're doing something right.

But hey, that's my opinion.

I don't understand why you, and another buddy, think this comeback having no teasers is for a surprise. Teasers can be vague to keep a surprise. And not just that, but there's no acknowledgement of a comeback at all on their sns atm, or from the members.
And I agree with someone earlier who said everything depends on how good the song is anyway, so a ballad isn't necessarily bad, but I do think it will be a ballad for reasons I've discussed in previous posts in this thread. And a new reason: in sinb's new fancafe post 'spring is gone by chance' is mentioned which is... a ballad.

Whoa. Hey, if I offended you and your opinion, I apologize. I'm not trying to start any trouble, arguments or fights etc.

I totally agree that teasers can be vague to keep a surprise. "Less means more." That would be awesome. I've been reading from other Buddies about why are there no teasers. I was just throwing that thought out there. All it was just a thought. Like a little riddle "What is the best way to keep a secret? Do not talk about it." I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Just because I'm not fond of ballads, doesn't mean that I think that it's bad. I did not say that. So please don't misunderstand me. Actually, Hawaiian music, Cuba Son and Celtic music, etc. have a lot of ballads. One of my favourite to listen too is Umji's "The Way".  I just I should've been more specific. My mistake.

I was under the impression that they were making a comeback. I read it here at these sites:

Source Music just announced today, “GFriend will be returning on March 6th with a new mini-album. The girls challenged on a new image that’s different from their standard concepts. Please look forward to it.”  kpopmap.com

"Source Music , "We've confirmed their comeback date for March 6th." allkpop.com

“GFRIEND is releasing a mini album on March 6. We are attempting a new concept that deviates from their usual image, so please look forward to it.” - soompi.com

I also asked some Buddies here and at my twitter and facebook accounts about it and they told me that it was. My mistake.

I receive information late. Most of time I have to search in here, at my facebook and my twitter accounts or anywhere that I can. I try my best to go to reliable sources. I don't speak and read Korean and I can't start up accounts on sites that don't have English as another option.

Seriously though, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I just thought that I could share my opinion. Have some interaction with other Buddies I'm just as excited as every Buddy out there. I hope that there's no "bad blood" between us, so to speak.

7 hours ago, alohachingu said:

Whoa. Hey, if I offended you and your opinion, I apologize. I'm not trying to start any trouble, arguments or fights etc.

I totally agree that teasers can be vague to keep a surprise. "Less means more." That would be awesome. I've been reading from other Buddies about why are there no teasers. I was just throwing that thought out there. All it was just a thought. Like a little riddle "What is the best way to keep a secret? Do not talk about it." I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Just because I'm not fond of ballads, doesn't mean that I think that it's bad. I did not say that. So please don't misunderstand me. Actually, Hawaiian music, Cuba Son and Celtic music, etc. have a lot of ballads. One of my favourite to listen too is Umji's "The Way".  I just I should've been more specific. My mistake.

I was under the impression that they were making a comeback. I read it here at these sites:

Source Music just announced today, “GFriend will be returning on March 6th with a new mini-album. The girls challenged on a new image that’s different from their standard concepts. Please look forward to it.”  kpopmap.com

"Source Music , "We've confirmed their comeback date for March 6th." allkpop.com

“GFRIEND is releasing a mini album on March 6. We are attempting a new concept that deviates from their usual image, so please look forward to it.” - soompi.com

I also asked some Buddies here and at my twitter and facebook accounts about it and they told me that it was. My mistake.

I receive information late. Most of time I have to search in here, at my facebook and my twitter accounts or anywhere that I can. I try my best to go to reliable sources. I don't speak and read Korean and I can't start up accounts on sites that don't have English as another option.

Seriously though, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I just thought that I could share my opinion. Have some interaction with other Buddies I'm just as excited as every Buddy out there. I hope that there's no "bad blood" between us, so to speak.

Don't worry about it.

Everyone is anxious waiting for the comeback

5ibEtdd.gifH027EVu.gif

I don't think it's a ballad after watching the teaser