Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simply_yuju

Gfriend's Choreo Watch Project

6 posts in this topic

Okay, honestly I have no background on music or dance so it will be a hard project and I will need your support :umjilove:

I think its nice if we tracking/ watch the continuity of difficulty or developments/growth in Gfriend's dance. We can see them in terms of the quantity of formations made, dance transitions, song bpm, and other little details. Of course, its hard to watch/distinguish the transition on Gfriend's song. There are some semi-formations, like a real formation but just formed in mere 1 second and turn to another right away.  So my initial numbers here might be wrong too, feel free to give me a correction.

1.Glass Bead ( ??? bpm)

Spoiler

24 dance transitions on 10 formations

2.Me Gustas Tu (??? bpm)

Spoiler

33 dance transitions on 15/16 formations

3.Rough (116(?)  bpm)

Spoiler

28 dance transitions on 17/18 formations

4.Navillera (128 (?) bpm)

Spoiler

23 dance transitions on 15 formations

From that initial assesment we can see Navillera (un?)surprisingly have less transitions and formations than rough, but have a slightly higher bpm and have more little artistic details (maybe I will add this assesment later). From those four I think rough and MGT have quite the same level of difficulty, with MGT have more transitions and rough have more formations. For comparison, I have counted transitions on BTS - Fire and they got about 23/24's there.... 

I will assess Gone with The Winds too, I think it will be most difficult choreo xD GWTW is like a dance full of transitions....

Feel free to give some advice, or maybe recount my number. I need help on MGT/ GB bpm too....

Thx for reading, I hope this thread can be useful to make a documentation of Gfriend wonderful choreo arrangements :) and forgive me if my english is sucked :ph34r:

Little Analysis

1.Glass bead. A standard for GF's choreo, displaying many next standard routines in GF's choreo: 2 tops with Yerin-Sinb, one top triangles with Sinb as center, and those 1 line formations led by Sinb. Many repetitions on formation and movements.

2.MGT. MGT choreo is a border to the new level of choreo. At glance it looks very fabulous with those big powerful movements like human vaulting and windmills, but beside those and the cool dance break actually MGT's dance routine is just pretty basic cute girl group dance. The choreographers smartly and cunningly pairing those 3-4 powerful moves and loads of interesting dance transitions to make sure our girls got a dance personality/dance charisma while they still learning and build up the confidence + experiences. They learn more how to create a lovely visual effect while dancing too :)  this video is dangerous, can make you a Yerin biased :yerin-love:

After those fails, falls, and those 78907++ performances of MGT.... they build their skills and ready for ...

3.Rough. Rough is a superb choreography. Its a rare case when you'll find difficult to appreciate their visual because of dance formations, dance transitions, dance movements, melody, lyrics, and aura built by the song is very very good. :) But its not that matter because this song has semi-sad, wistful aura. there are some everlasting highlights part like yuju's solo ballets, wave of kicks, hand of clocks, run through te time movements.... and all movements are supporting the lyrics and song's ambiences.

4.Navillera (and Gone with the winds). Maybe people want a more difficult , a more complex choreo after Rough success, but surprisingly those GF's choreographer come up with Navillera, maybe just in par if not a sliiiiightly easier than Rough. Navillera's dance transitions amount is just almost same as glass bead (!) but has a more complex formations. There are some reason behind this ....

a.Promotions is a long marathon, a continuously powerful choreo can hurt

b.Less dance transition, less dance formations mean more time to appreciate the girls visual :x In fact we cant deny in Navillera many choreo parts designed to enhance these section : like of those disco parts or that semi-aegyo moves while touch the cheeks :x Well, afterall its very relevant with song's theme too ...

c.Less dance transition, less dance formations mean more time to appreciate the dance synchronicity and dance movements

d. A slightly easier dance means loads of dance cover = more viral effect :)

Gone with the winds I think was added to make up for Navillera (as a pop-hit to crush the chart) minuses. GWTW actually pretty identical with Navillera in terms of dance transitions and formations quantity ( I have a wrong impression before, sry ;p ) but the quality is a half step ahead. There are some cool moves like flip-flop synchcro, cool waves, a 360' syncronicity etc. I personally hope GWTW song type and dance type will be a protoype of GF's dances in the future ...

Edited by simply_yuju

I like GWTW choreo better.

5ibEtdd.gifH027EVu.gif

I've meant to make a post about this for a while but I've gotten lazy/been doing emotes (Thanks Squirtle).

The topic of this post is how late the choreography of Navillera changed.

The members of GFriend talked about how much their choreography changed since they started practicing. They talk about it mainly in this Mcountdown Dance Together segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nicXeqZUQ

You can also see that the choreography for their 2x speed Navillera dance for Weekly Idol Anniversary celebration is different than the debut stage. I remember there was a fancam that put the filming for the 5th anniversary episodes approximately 2 weeks before Navillera's first comeback stage.

Finally, what's different between the 2x speed navillera and the comeback stage choreography? I'll use timestamps from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dfs5j_RM8Q Although it's from the first 2x navillera, the dance hasn't changed. Also, it's no cut which is much easier to see. 3 main differences I've noticed are: 1. 0:20 SinB doesn't move to the centre in the 2nd line of the song instead she moves forward. 2. 1:27 Sowon's 2nd line, instead of Sowon, Yuju, and Yerin walking forward and SinB and Eunha moving to the side; everyone stays in a line then all by Umji move to the side. 3. 1:42 Part of the lift move still exists in 2x speed. The girls get into formation to do the lift move but don't actually do it. Everything else seems the same to my eyes.

I can only guess why these parts were changed.

1. SinB not moving to the center changes the position of all the girls until the line formation at 0:50. It's a little funny if you've gotten used to the new version. I think it's because Eunha is having trouble getting to her next position as seen in the 2x video. She has to cross past Yuju who is going to the centre for the next formation. SinB moving to the centre also helps the watcher focus on the group dance because the focus is on the centre rather than on the far left side. Side note: I like the newer version because Sowon spend more time in the middle or front compared to the older version. Side note 2: In the anniversary 2x navillera, Eunha starts moving then goes back to her old position. It's possible they changed the choreo at this point but they decided to stick with the old choreo for the show.

2. Not sure why. The dance seems ok but maybe a little boring. Most of the girls are standing still and can't be seen behind Sowon. The older version is, in my opinion, messier than the newer version. After the move to the side in the older version, you have uneven numbers; 2 left, 3 right. There's also a lot more movement during Umji's part which is distracting. New version has the nice 321 formation and no movement during Umji's part. Nice. Side note: The old part of the choreo is visible in the MV.

3. So... yeah. They get into formation for the lift seen in the Dance Together video but don't do it. It looks bad without the lift. Eunha and Sowon don't hook arms and SinB and Umji don't hang off them. The girls stand in the middle and fall to the side. Yerin is hidden behind Yuju for no good reason (should be lifting Yuju). Choreo change was definitely needed in my opinion. I like the new choreo. It's dynamic, good movement. More butterflies~ Another funny thing is Yerin ends up in the back in the next formation.

As far as I know, they haven't change their choreography so close to a comeback before. I'm glad they performed well. ^_^ Did anyone notice anything I didn't?

Edited by BeastToss
Minor edits

jCwTQ3U.gif

Wow this is an interesting analysis. I never actually look into the details of their dance before. Only admired them.

2_zpsw14s5p5c.gifsowon%20so%20hot%201_zpspkz9yevw.gif
Sowon: It's not that we came to you. You came to us.

On 9/19/2016 at 8:13 AM, BeastToss said:

I've meant to make a post about this for a while but I've gotten lazy/been doing emotes (Thanks Squirtle).

The topic of this post is how late the choreography of Navillera changed.

The members of GFriend talked about how much their choreography changed since they started practicing. They talk about it mainly in this Mcountdown Dance Together segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nicXeqZUQ

You can also see that the choreography for their 2x speed Navillera dance for Weekly Idol Anniversary celebration is different than the debut stage. I remember there was a fancam that put the filming for the 5th anniversary episodes approximately 2 weeks before Navillera's first comeback stage.

Finally, what's different between the 2x speed navillera and the comeback stage choreography? I'll use timestamps from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dfs5j_RM8Q Although it's from the first 2x navillera, the dance hasn't changed. Also, it's no cut which is much easier to see. 3 main differences I've noticed are: 1. 0:20 SinB doesn't move to the centre in the 2nd line of the song instead she moves forward. 2. 1:27 Sowon's 2nd line, instead of Sowon, Yuju, and Yerin walking forward and SinB and Eunha moving to the side; everyone stays in a line then all by Umji move to the side. 3. 1:42 Part of the lift move still exists in 2x speed. The girls get into formation to do the lift move but don't actually do it. Everything else seems the same to my eyes.

I can only guess why these parts were changed.

1. SinB not moving to the center changes the position of all the girls until the line formation at 0:50. It's a little funny if you've gotten used to the new version. I think it's because Eunha is having trouble getting to her next position as seen in the 2x video. She has to cross past Yuju who is going to the centre for the next formation. SinB moving to the centre also helps the watcher focus on the group dance because the focus is on the centre rather than on the far left side. Side note: I like the newer version because Sowon spend more time in the middle or front compared to the older version. Side note 2: In the anniversary 2x navillera, Eunha starts moving then goes back to her old position. It's possible they changed the choreo at this point but they decided to stick with the old choreo for the show.

2. Not sure why. The dance seems ok but maybe a little boring. Most of the girls are standing still and can't be seen behind Sowon. The older version is, in my opinion, messier than the newer version. After the move to the side in the older version, you have uneven numbers; 2 left, 3 right. There's also a lot more movement during Umji's part which is distracting. New version has the nice 321 formation and no movement during Umji's part. Nice. Side note: The old part of the choreo is visible in the MV.

3. So... yeah. They get into formation for the lift seen in the Dance Together video but don't do it. It looks bad without the lift. Eunha and Sowon don't hook arms and SinB and Umji don't hang off them. The girls stand in the middle and fall to the side. Yerin is hidden behind Yuju for no good reason (should be lifting Yuju). Choreo change was definitely needed in my opinion. I like the new choreo. It's dynamic, good movement. More butterflies~ Another funny thing is Yerin ends up in the back in the next formation.

As far as I know, they haven't change their choreography so close to a comeback before. I'm glad they performed well. ^_^ Did anyone notice anything I didn't?

Thx to point it out.

wow wow I know there are some changes but I never think its as visible as you pointed :yujushock:I think I've heard in some interviews they nervous because the dance keep changing till the end (and choreo is like GFriend's heartbeat, its very vital)

And you know what, they obviously learn those changing formation in the same time with the difficult choreo of gone with the winds :yujushock:glad no major incident occured

Edited by simply_yuju